Rams Week 5 snap counts / Top PFF grades: Sorting out RB rotation, D-line changes

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Rams Week 5 snap counts: Sorting out RB rotation, D-line changes​

Cameron DaSilva /October 10, 2022
1665422984538.png

Throughout the first five weeks of the season, the Los Angeles Rams have been forced to use lesser-known players to fill holes on their roster due to various injuries. The offensive line and secondary have been particularly banged up, which has led to problems in both areas.

In Sunday’s 22-10 loss to the Cowboys, the Rams mixed things up once again – mostly out of need. The offensive line had Jeremiah Kolone starting at center, while the secondary was without both Taylor Rapp and Jordan Fuller at safety.

At running back, Malcolm Brown joined the rotation, though he didn’t contribute much behind Cam Akers and Darrell Henderson Jr. Let’s dig into the snap counts to see how the playing time percentages broke down.

1665423213360.png

Akers only played 20 snaps against Dallas, which was 17 fewer than Henderson played. Brown was on the field for eight snaps in his first game of the year, too. However, Akers was the only one to get a single carry. He had 13 rush attempts compared to zero for Henderson; his only rush was called back due to penalty. Akers was only targeted once as a receiver, while Henderson had five (four catches). So it’s clear the Rams like Akers as an early-down runner and Henderson as a third-down back.

David Edwards was unable to finish the game due to a head injury, getting evaluated for a concussion late. Bobby Evans stepped in and played the final 12 snaps at left guard.

Ben Skowronek actually played more snaps than Allen Robinson and was targeted three more times, which is an interesting and also somewhat concerning trend. Brandon Powell played 11 snaps and Tutu Atwell was on the field for nine plays, catching his first NFL pass.

Kendall Blanton was the No. 2 tight end behind Tyler Higbee but he played just two snaps. Higbee played the other 63, so the Rams didn’t mix up their personnel much.

1665423269711.png

Nick Scott and Terrell Burgess were the starting safeties with Fuller and Rapp out, and they each played every snap. Russ Yeast was the only other safety who played, getting just one rep on defense.

Derion Kendrick played three more snaps than Jalen Ramsey, but they were both on the field for just about every play. Grant Haley was the No. 3 cornerback, ahead of Robert Rochell, who has played sparingly in Year 2.

One thing that really stood out on defense was Aaron Donald’s snap share of just 71%, by far his lowest of the season. Greg Gaines played 11 more snaps than Donald, which typically isn’t the case.

Marquise Copeland ate into the defensive line rotation, playing 42% of the snaps – and only five fewer plays than A’Shawn Robinson. That’s something to monitor.

Terrell Lewis is starting to separate from Justin Hollins, playing eight more snaps than Hollins on Sunday. Leonard Floyd remains the top pass rusher, and Takk McKinley only played five snaps as the fourth option.

fearsomefour

Legend
Akers has been terrible.....not solid....not ok.....terrible.
He has missed holes, sometimes massive holes week after week.
He is lacking the number one tool needed by a RB....vision.
McVay stubbornly sticking with Akers is hurting the team.
Henderson is the better back at this time and its not close.
Henderson had one carry that was called back.....but, every time he is in (with that one exception) the Rams threw the ball. Gee, I think other teams will pick up on that.
Havenstein is not playing well. He has always struggled with pure speed rushers. I wonder if he is nicked up.
Edwards should be given all the time he needs and maybe more.
Aboushi needs to get in asap.
Hopefully he knows enough of the offense to get in vs Carolina, then have the bye to solidify his spot.
Hopefully he plays well enough to secure that spot. Edwards has been a disaster this year.
Get Allen back then Shelton and keep Aboushi at LG.
Also, Donald had 6 of the Rams 10 pressures.
There is nothing coming from the edge guys. Lewis, as is becoming his yearly tradition, looks good in pre season and disappears once the season is going.
Floyd is not generating pass rush.
Maybe this is an intentional focus on the run and maintaining the edge or maybe they just aren't getting there.
Hollins has 3 pressures, Lewis has 2 pressures in 5 games....not nearly good enough.
The Rams are likely to face a 3rd string QB this Sunday.
Control McCaffrey and then get after the QB.....we will see if the Rams are capable of generating a pass rush outside of 99.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Is Nick Scott playing hurt?

• PFF Grade vs. Cowgirls: S Nick Scott: 35.2

Tano

Legend
Is Nick Scott playing hurt?

• PFF Grade vs. Cowgirls: S Nick Scott: 35.2
I think his grade was severely affected by the Pollard TD run where he completely whiffed on a tackle that allowed Pollard to gain 30 more yards and a TD

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think his grade was severely affected by the Pollard TD run where he completely whiffed on a tackle that allowed Pollard to gain 30 more yards and a TD
They call them "safeties" for a reason. Can't have them missing tackles resulting in touchdowns.

Tano

Legend
They call them "safeties" for a reason. Can't have them missing tackles resulting in touchdowns.
I am fully in agreement with you.

I was actually shocked that Scott whiffed so badly. He is usually a reliable tackler.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I am fully in agreement with you.

I was actually shocked that Scott whiffed so badly. He is usually a reliable tackler.
Scott is a guy I love and who has grown so much.
One thing that may be impacting him is not having Fuller or Rapp out there with him, imo. d

Tano

Legend
Scott is a guy I love and who has grown so much.
One thing that may be impacting him is not having Fuller or Rapp out there with him, imo. d
That's very possible. I like Scott too. Again shocked that he whiffed.
Cbs Reaction GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Are we really down to relying on a 7th round rookie Tackle to contribute?

You may be confusing this years 7'th round selection, AJ Arcuri, who is on the practice squad, to our 2021 UDFA, Alaric Jackson.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
You may be confusing this years 7'th round selection, AJ Arcuri, who is on the practice squad, to our 2021 UDFA, Alaric Jackson.
Jackson is already starting and some people are wanting to bring in Acuri.

Just ridiculous, the desperation.

Last edited:

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Akers has been terrible.....not solid....not ok.....terrible.
He has missed holes, sometimes massive holes week after week.
He is lacking the number one tool needed by a RB....vision.
McVay stubbornly sticking with Akers is hurting the team.
Henderson is the better back at this time and its not close.
Henderson had one carry that was called back.....but, every time he is in (with that one exception) the Rams threw the ball. Gee, I think other teams will pick up on that.
Havenstein is not playing well. He has always struggled with pure speed rushers. I wonder if he is nicked up.
Edwards should be given all the time he needs and maybe more.
Aboushi needs to get in asap.
Hopefully he knows enough of the offense to get in vs Carolina, then have the bye to solidify his spot.
Hopefully he plays well enough to secure that spot. Edwards has been a disaster this year.
Get Allen back then Shelton and keep Aboushi at LG.
Also, Donald had 6 of the Rams 10 pressures.
There is nothing coming from the edge guys. Lewis, as is becoming his yearly tradition, looks good in pre season and disappears once the season is going.
Floyd is not generating pass rush.
Maybe this is an intentional focus on the run and maintaining the edge or maybe they just aren't getting there.
Hollins has 3 pressures, Lewis has 2 pressures in 5 games....not nearly good enough.
The Rams are likely to face a 3rd string QB this Sunday.
Control McCaffrey and then get after the QB.....we will see if the Rams are capable of generating a pass rush outside of 99.
It was brought up in the chat room many times that Akers was running with his head down. I saw it too. He can't have field vision running like that. Just saying.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Rams Week 5 snap counts: Sorting out RB rotation, D-line changes​

Cameron DaSilva /October 10, 2022
View attachment 56885

Throughout the first five weeks of the season, the Los Angeles Rams have been forced to use lesser-known players to fill holes on their roster due to various injuries. The offensive line and secondary have been particularly banged up, which has led to problems in both areas.

In Sunday’s 22-10 loss to the Cowboys, the Rams mixed things up once again – mostly out of need. The offensive line had Jeremiah Kolone starting at center, while the secondary was without both Taylor Rapp and Jordan Fuller at safety.

At running back, Malcolm Brown joined the rotation, though he didn’t contribute much behind Cam Akers and Darrell Henderson Jr. Let’s dig into the snap counts to see how the playing time percentages broke down.

View attachment 56886

Akers only played 20 snaps against Dallas, which was 17 fewer than Henderson played. Brown was on the field for eight snaps in his first game of the year, too. However, Akers was the only one to get a single carry. He had 13 rush attempts compared to zero for Henderson; his only rush was called back due to penalty. Akers was only targeted once as a receiver, while Henderson had five (four catches). So it’s clear the Rams like Akers as an early-down runner and Henderson as a third-down back.

David Edwards was unable to finish the game due to a head injury, getting evaluated for a concussion late. Bobby Evans stepped in and played the final 12 snaps at left guard.

Ben Skowronek actually played more snaps than Allen Robinson and was targeted three more times, which is an interesting and also somewhat concerning trend. Brandon Powell played 11 snaps and Tutu Atwell was on the field for nine plays, catching his first NFL pass.

Kendall Blanton was the No. 2 tight end behind Tyler Higbee but he played just two snaps. Higbee played the other 63, so the Rams didn’t mix up their personnel much.

View attachment 56887
Nick Scott and Terrell Burgess were the starting safeties with Fuller and Rapp out, and they each played every snap. Russ Yeast was the only other safety who played, getting just one rep on defense.

Derion Kendrick played three more snaps than Jalen Ramsey, but they were both on the field for just about every play. Grant Haley was the No. 3 cornerback, ahead of Robert Rochell, who has played sparingly in Year 2.

One thing that really stood out on defense was Aaron Donald’s snap share of just 71%, by far his lowest of the season. Greg Gaines played 11 more snaps than Donald, which typically isn’t the case.

Marquise Copeland ate into the defensive line rotation, playing 42% of the snaps – and only five fewer plays than A’Shawn Robinson. That’s something to monitor.

Terrell Lewis is starting to separate from Justin Hollins, playing eight more snaps than Hollins on Sunday. Leonard Floyd remains the top pass rusher, and Takk McKinley only played five snaps as the fourth option.

Don’t know who or why there was a champ under just a thread. Maybe out a champ as thread of all threads.

Looking at the numbers & not watching the games I could see the numbers and had basically the same take aways. All the question I had were answered.

Heard Cohen going off about team & players. On offense from the stats & not being able to stomach the game live.Thought David Edwards was hurt. That right shows I didn’t watch to closely.
Did see Havienstien get BEAT on that last play.He needs to force Parsons inside.

Haley & - how far has RR31 fallen.Posters thought T. Hill was wasted depth. Durrant could be getting valuable playing time.

Kendrick is a solid & just a heck of a draft pick.

Don’t know how bad the O’ Line play was. I’m a Big A’ Jackson at RG,but might have crow to eat if he isn’t the guy from some reports?

The Biggest take that was said a different way was T. Burgees taking over for T. Rapp. It was said Fuller & Burgees played well. The fact is is Nick Scott was behind Fuller before he got hurt last season.Fuller & Scott count snap in 2022 for the season would be interesting a bit ?
IMO Burgees is more of the future at FS than Rapp. The BIG TAKE which know one talks about is how much better The Rams defense is without T. Rapp. In FACT The Rams don’t win The SuperBowl last season if T. Rapp did not get hurt!!!!!! That is almost unquestionably 99% correct as well.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I could add nice to see Bobby Wagner is the Heart ofnThe D’ & E. Jones needs to improve a lot more.He is a good kid.

Gaines is such a stud. Not a Fan if both Copeland & Hollins. Both WEAK pick ups. Nice to see Les Snead pick up another High Draft pick in this UCLA guy . Mr. T would be my Nick name for him.Home town kid like Kenny Young. Polite was more a southern guy?Florida(jets).
Always said out of training camp that Powell is a poor teams Deebo.Nice to see Tutu Atwell get some positive snaps & experience.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
To the poster on Malcom Brown isn’t on The Rams. He has just as much as basically you,me & all of us posters to play. Seeing Malcom Browns snap count is EXACTLY what I was Freaking posting about. (Yes I’m a crazy & hard poster to follow).

—What Malcom Brown means to The Rams. First off a reminder of how Sean Mcvay keeps a relationship with his players(Rambles) & the respect for a players hard work.
1. Malcom Brown was a Ram before Mcvay.
2.Malcom Brown was a UDRFA out of Texas that Les Snead found ???
3.Malcom Briwn Thrived under Bones before even becoming a RB for The Rams.
4. Malcom Brown made himself into a 3rd down RB.
5.Malcom Brown was on a lot of price it deals.
6. Not sure if he got hurt in Detroit,but had a great run there.That was a special run(TD).He earned more respect that he could become a every down RB if really needed.
7. Malcom Brown signs a contract with the Lions & Sean Mcvay chose him over CJ Anderson after his injury & Anderson taking The Rams to a SuperBowl. CJ Anderson then signing with Detroit.
8. Malcom Brown becomes a mentor to The Rookie Cam Akers & pushes HENDO to get better.
9. Signs with Miami finally getting his pay day.
10. Malcom Brown Resigns with The Rams.Comes back & fills his Role as Mentor & Leadership. Special teams first.
11. Malcom Brown secures a roster spot & making The Rams move on from Jake Funk as a wasted spot from the 48(53).

12. Making Cam Akers see how important BLOCKING is in The NFL as a RB. Taking Reps from HENDO as well,but keeps that RB room to what it once was 3 seasons ago.

fearsomefour

Legend
It was brought up in the chat room many times that Akers was running with his head down. I saw it too. He can't have field vision running like that. Just saying.
I assume our great coaches see this.....sticking with his at this point is baffling.