Rams Week 5 snap counts: Lopsided RB split, Everett owns TE1 role

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
usatsi_13456734.jpg

By: Cameron DaSilva | 4 hours ago

No team has used 11 personnel (one running back, one tight end and three receivers) more often the last two seasons than the Los Angeles Rams. With three great receivers in Cooper Kupp, Brandin Cooks and Robert Woods in the fold, it’s easy to see why.
With defenses figuring out ways to shut down L.A.’s running game, Sean McVay adapted on Thursday night against the Seahawks. He utilized 12 personnel more to counter the often-used 6-1 defensive front, getting two tight ends on the field throughout the night. It provided a spark for the running game, but also limited the playing time for the receivers.

Looking at the snap counts, there were some major shifts at a couple of positions, including running back, tight end and wide receiver. The defense also had Troy Reeder out there for the majority of the game, while the rotation up front was deep.

Offense
week-5-snap-counts-offense.png

Either Sean McVay wanted to send a message with Todd Gurley or he really didn’t feel confident in Malcolm Brown. It was probably the former as Gurley played 93% of the snaps compared to just 4% for Brown. With endless questions about Gurley’s usage, McVay was out to prove he’s still the top choice at running back for the Rams.

Cooper Kupp had nine catches on 17 targets in this game, which is even more impressive when you consider he only played 48 snaps (67%). It was a surprisingly low total for Kupp, as was the case for Brandin Cooks (46 snaps), who left the game with a potential concussion. His absence was more about injury, while Kupp was pulled off the field in favor of two-tight end sets.
Speaking of the tight ends, Gerald Everett has pulled ahead as the No. 1 option at the position, playing 81% of the snaps compared to just 56% for Tyler Higbee. He proved the coaches right, too, by having a career day (seven catches, 136 yards).

Defense

week-5-snap-counts-defense.png

Reeder replaced injured Bryce Hager in the starting lineup, but his role was far greater than Hager’s had been in the first four weeks. Reeder played 54 snaps (73%), which is 29 more than Hager played in a single game this season. He had his share of rookie lapses, but Reeder was physical against the run and led the Rams with 13 tackles. If he didn’t miss a few tackles, his numbers would’ve been even better.

The rotation at outside linebacker featured Dante Fowler Jr. (81%), Clay Matthews (64%) and Samson Ebukam (55%). The gap between Matthews and Ebukam isn’t huge, which speaks to how the coaching staff views Ebukam.

Up front, Morgan Fox played 20 snaps with Tanzel Smart chipping in 14 of his own. Greg Gaines played 13 snaps at nose tackle (and had two tackles), though Sebastian Joseph-Day (40 snaps) remains the top choice at that spot. Aaron Donald paced all defensive linemen with 61 snaps played, though Michael Brockers was out there for 60 himself.

Nickell Robey-Coleman’s role was limited due to the Rams running a more traditional 3-4 defense against Seattle. He played just 21 snaps and forced a fumble on the Seahawks’ first drive. Marqui Christian played 18 snaps in place of an injured Taylor Rapp.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Kupp and Everett need to be on the field more at the same time.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
What's interesting about the Rams using a lot of 12 personnel in this game, is that Seattle has stuck with it's base D quite a bit this season (and last nite) and not going to the nickel D as often.

I'm very encouraged to see McV changing it up but i'm not sure that Seattle going with 3 LB's most of the time was the ideal time or true test for us to use 2TE 2WR 1RB.

We had some success obviously with Everett breaking loose but IMO we could have even better success(running the football in 12 personnel) vs a defense that uses mostly nickel stuff.

Bottom line for me though is IT'S ABOUT TIME we finally decided to show some different looks and give Everett targets.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Gaines only had 13 snaps, but I noticed him chasing Wilson a few times. Wouldn’t mind giving him more looks to see how he does.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Gaines only had 13 snaps, but I noticed him chasing Wilson a few times. Wouldn’t mind giving him more looks to see how he does.

That dude is pretty quick for being the human equivalent of a cinder block.

Ants

Starter
First of all, I don't think McVay has anything against M. Brown. I think he realizes that he has to have Gurley in the game to get him in a rhythm.
Secondly, I would disagree that Everett has taken over the #1 TE. No doubt he has that talent and is a great option. But it's evident that Higbee can catch, run and block. My thought is that they were taking it easy on him due to his injury.
...not that it matters - both are great options.

The thing for me is that I expected the TE's to be used FAR MORE when McVay started with the Rams.
I'm not sure if he didn't trust either guy for the past 2-3 years, or if he just liked what he had at WR.