Rams Wednesday Practice Report

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Practice Report 12/23: Three Rams Going to Hawaii, Cunningham Named POTW

By Myles Simmons
View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-practicereport/Practice-Report-1223-Three-Rams-Going-to-Hawaii-Cunningham-Named-POTW/da7d5744-d1cb-4eea-a5e5-d0952e322041

The NFL announced players who had been elected to the Pro Bowl on Tuesday evening, with Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald, running back Todd Gurley, and punter Johnny Hekker all making the list. For all three, the recognition has been well earned for outstanding seasons.

“For Aaron, he’s put together back-to-back great years in his career already early on. So, certainly deserving of that. ‘Hekk,’ some of the stuff he’s done is extraordinary. So, he’s got a lot of recognition around the league, a lot of respect. We’ve known that and certainly he’s worthy of it,” head coach Jeff Fisher said after Wednesday’s practice. “And then I asked Todd what he was doing a year ago yesterday, and he was three weeks post-op and did he ever think at that point, a year ago yesterday, that he would have been voted to the Pro Bowl? I think that speaks volumes of him.”

With Donald, the second-year defensive tackle has clearly made himself into one of the premier defensive players in the league. He leads the club with 11.0 sacks and 22 quarterback hits, which many times come from plays with a high degree of difficulty that he makes seem routine.

“I’m very happy I get a chance to coach him,” defensive coordinator Gregg Williams said. “He’s as dominant as any inside player there is in the league.”

Donald said he appreciates the accolade and the honor. But it doesn’t seem like that’s going to stop him from doing more to improve.

“I'm pumped up about it, just to see all the work pay off and make the Pro Bowl two years straight,” he said. “I'm excited, but still have more work to do.”

As for Gurley, the running back reached 1,000 rushing yards in just 11 starts, showing just how well he’s come along from his knee injury.

“It wasn't on my mind,” Gurley said of his mindset from a year ago. “At the time, I was focused on my rehab and trying to come back.”

The Georgia product said was stoked to hear the announcement on the NFL Network on Tuesday night.

“I heard before, but I really wanted to hear it from the NFL,” Gurley said. “It's some of the best players in the league, and some guys I grew up looking at. So it will be cool to see them.”

It will be Hekker’s second Pro Bowl, having gone in 2013 when he recorded the highest single-season net punt average in league history. This year, Hekker currently leads the league in punt average and is second in net average. He was quick to give credit to all his teammates on the coverage team, who have propelled him to another outstanding season.

“It’s an incredible honor. The excitement hasn’t diminished from the first one,” Hekker said. “I owe everything that I’ve accomplished to the other 10 guys that are playing alongisde me. They make my job incredibly easy.

“Jake [McQuaide] has put snaps on the money all year. Guys have covered their butts off, forced fair catches, have been there to down balls. Some spectacular play around the goal line, keeping balls in bounds and keeping them out of the end zone,” Hekker continued. “Without them, I wouldn’t be standing here and I wouldn’t be accepting this invitation to the Pro Bowl, so I owe them a lot.”

With Hekker, Gurley, and Donald, the Rams have three players headed to the Pro Bowl for the first time since 2006.

“It’s going to be good anytime you’ve got fellow teammates that’s making it,” Donald said. “We’re going to go out there, have a good time, and compete.”

CUNNINGHAM NAMED NFC SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYER OF THE WEEK

The Rams have had a few players of the week -- and players of the month -- this season, and running back Benny Cunningham earned another after his strong kick returns in Week 15.

The back out of MTSU has been an effective kick returner for the past couple years, but he had a real standout performance against Tampa Bay. He and the kick return team began the contest with a 43-yard return that set up the Rams for a touchdown on their opening drive. Then he put the club in position for more points when he brought back a kick 102 yards to Tampa Bay’s three-yard line.

“It was an honor to get acknowledged by the NFL,” Cunningham said. “I thank my teammates and [special teams coordinator John] Fassel for making that possible.”

“I feel like we're the best special teams unit in the NFL -- that’s the mindset we have and practice with,” Cunningham added. “We’ll do whatever we can to help out the offense and defense -- whether it's field position, big returns, scoring. [Fassel] does a great job of keeping guys motivated.”

“Benny deserves it,” Hekker said of the accolade. “As an undrafted running back coming in and building an identity on special teams, and being an amazing third-down back for us, Benny is just a super hard worker, a guy who leads by example. He’s also very fun loving, can crack jokes and make anyone laugh. You just really enjoy coming to work every day when you get to work with guys as special as Benny is.”

With his returns last week, Cunningham has moved up to third in the NFL in kick return average. Last year, he finished No. 5 in the same category. In addition to his return prowess, Cunningham has been the offense’s primary third-down back and he plays on kickoff coverage, punt coverage, and punt return.

“I try to think of myself as just a football player and not be defined by my position,” Cunningham said. “I know everyone in St. Louis is familiar with my role of doing everything since I've been here. Whatever coach asks me to do, I try do to the best of my ability.”

If there is one more element Cunningham would have like to add in his return last week, it would have been getting into the end zone for a touchdown. But in a way, Cunningham said not scoring just provides additional motivation.

“We will work really hard at practice to make sure we get it in next time,” Cunningham said. “We went through some ups and downs and some rough calls, so to have a game like that kind of makes everyone feel good, and lets us know we're doing the right things in practice.”

INJURY REPORT

The Rams had a light injury report on Wednesday. Offensive lineman Andrew Donnal (knee) and cornerback Eric Patterson (ankle) did not participate. Wide receiver Bradley Marquez (knee) and cornerback Lamarcus Joyner (back) were both limited.

Also on the injury front, Fisher said both defensive end Robert Quinn and safety T.J. McDonald have undergone successful surgeries and both should recover in time for the start of the offseason program.

“They’re doing well,” Fisher said. “Rob had immediate relief, which was great, which we expected. T.J.’s shoulder was not in good shape to say the least, but he’s got a new shoulder.”

“T.J. has been through a lot when you talk about the offseason injury and then the foot injury and everything, the shoulder and everything,” Fisher added. “From a timing standpoint, we needed to do it, just so we could get him in the offseason program. He’ll be good to go.”

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams' Robert Quinn, T.J. McDonald working back after surgeries
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...uinn-t-j-mcdonald-working-back-from-surgeries

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- St. Louis Rams defensive end Robert Quinn (back) and safety T.J. McDonald (shoulder) recently had surgery, according to coach Jeff Fisher.

Fisher said Wednesday that Quinn and McDonald have had the procedures done on the injuries that cost them the rest of their 2015 seasons and are beginning the process of rehabbing.

"Their procedures are both done," Fisher said. "They're doing well. Rob had immediate relief, which was great, which we expected. T.J.'s shoulder was not in good shape, to say the least. But he's got a new shoulder. T.J. has been through a lot when you talk about the offseason injury and the foot injury and everything and the shoulder. He's been through a lot. He should be good to go. From a timing standpoint, we needed to do it just so we can get them in the offseason program."

Quinn and McDonald were placed on injured reserve in recent weeks, ending their season, but Fisher said that both players should be back in time to participate in the early portions of the offseason program.

As for players still on the roster, the Rams' injury report was a bit smaller on Wednesday. Here's a look:

Did not participate: OL Andrew Donnal (knee), CB Eric Patterson (ankle).

Limited participation: CB Lamarcus Joyner (back), WR Bradley Marquez (knee).

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Head coach Jeff Fisher talks about the team’s three Pro Bowl honorees, facing Seattle in a tough road environment and how surgery went for two players.

Watch Fisher's Presser

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Wow...never knew TJ was getting so beat up....He may have to modify his style of play....