Rams vs Vikings: Shane's Sound Off on the St. Louis Loss (101 ESPN)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ShaneG

Starter
Rams vs. Vikings: Shane Sounds Off on the St. Louis Loss

by Shane Gray

Let’s not pull punches regarding the Vikings’ 34-6 shellacking of St. Louis in the season opener at the Edward Jones Dome.
AC1W5731-200x300.jpg

(Fisher eyes the scoreboard during Sunday’s game)

-It was tremendously disappointing for fans to not only watch the Rams lose on opening day, but to see the home team get absolutely waxed to kick off the 2014 campaign.

A season-opening beatdown like this is particularly rough on a fan base that has endured the NFL’s worst record over the last eight years and hasn’t witnessed a single winning season or postseason appearance in a decade.

On top of that, St. Louis fans sit under a cloud of ever-intensifying relocation rumors.

-Of course, it wasn’t just the fans who were dismayed by the results from Sunday’s action. The players and coaches, as expected, were also discouraged by the Week 1 performance.

“I’m just disappointed,” head coach Jeff Fisher said. “It seemed throughout the game that different players took turns making drive-killing mistakes or allowing drives to continue.

“I told the team that this is not going to define our season. It’s just the opener. It’s unfortunate that it ended the way it did here at home with the enthusiasm that our fans brought to the game.”

“It is embarrassing,” said middle linebacker James Laurinaitis.

AC1W5264-200x300.jpg

Laurinaitis called the Rams’ performance “embarrassing.”

“We put a lot of work into this preseason, and we had a great week of practice, personally and defensively. To come out here and play the way we did in front of the home crowd for the opener is embarrassing.”

Finally, wide receiver Brian Quick summed up the defeat in this manner:

“Yeah, it hurt, but this doesn’t define us,” Quick said. “We’re going to come in tomorrow and make corrections and we’re going to get better. We’re not going to forget it. We just need to build off of it together.”

-Speaking of Quick, the 6-foot-4, third-year pass-catcher put together a stellar outing, racking up seven receptions for 99 yards. Quick had a terrific rapport going with starting quarterback Shaun Hill in the first half, so one has to wonder if “Quickie’s”day might have been even bigger had Hill not left the game with an injury at the half.

Either way, it was a terrific start for Quick – a player with the size, athleticism and movement skills of future Hall of Famer Terrell Owens.

“I just have to build on today and get better for my team,” Quick said after Sunday’s contest. “My yards and my individual efforts are not really (important) after a loss. I’m going to come out and get the ball, come out in practice and get better for next week.”

If Quick can get some consistently good quarterback play – and that seems to be a big if – he could push towards a 70-reception, 1,000-yard campaign. If a season like that transpires, all those ready to tag Quick with bust labels will need to hang on to their stickers for use on someone else.

(For many, more observations and much more analysis on the Rams week 1 loss, including thoughts on "sack city", the offensive line, Tavon Austin, etc., please check here for the full column. Thank you very much and I hope you all enjoy the read):

http://www.101sports.com/2014/09/08/rams-vs-vikings-shanes-soundoff-st-louis-loss/

Last edited:

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Hi Shane,

Nice article again!!

What is your take about this loss?
I mean; do you think it was an aberration? Or a sign of things to come?
And why?

Thank you my friend.

209RamsFan

I don't know what was worse:
A) the 69ers winning
B)34-6 Ass kicking or
C) fans at the Dome chanting " let's Go Vikings"

ShaneG

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hi Shane,

Nice article again!!

What is your take about this loss?
I mean; do you think it was an aberration? Or a sign of things to come?
And why?

Thank you my friend.

Thank you, my friend.

As for the Rams, they didn't look ready to play. This team may not be as good as many of us hoped it would be or even expected, but they are better than this. It will be tough in Tampa, but I expect the Rams to come out and at least be competitive. Bradford was certainly missed yesterday and the D didn't get the pressure expected, certainly. O- line has a long way to go. On the bright side, Quick looks to really be coming into his own. Happy for him. Great guy.

Last edited:

ShaneG

Starter
I don't know what was worse:
A) the 69ers winning
B)34-6 Ass kicking or
C) fans at the Dome chanting " let's Go Vikings"

I would have to go with B, personally. Certainly hate seeing San Francisco win. As for the chants, many of the Rams fans had left by then. It wasn't fun to hear, but not unexpected all things considered, either.

Alan

Legend
Unfortunately, your tearjerker was right on. :cry:

You probably should have said a little something about Hekker in the last paragraph to, you know, end on a high note. :LOL:

Thanks Shane.

ShaneG

Starter
Unfortunately, your tearjerker was right on. :cry:

You probably should have said a little something about Hekker in the last paragraph to, you know, end on a high note. :LOL:

Thanks Shane.

And thank you, Alan. Yes, there are a few other things I could or should have touched on, including the play of Gaines and McDonald (which was good) and Davis needing to at least try to throw for first downs being so far behind in 3rd and long situations. Nothing really to lose at that point so at least give at a go and throw it at or beyond the markers.

Dick84

Tampa is going to give the Rams a beat down. They let their guards down because Cam was out and will be embarrassed & at home.
It's gonna be ugly.

OldRock

Rookie
Name
Rocky
Thanks for the article. Not as much sunshine as your last article but, it is what it is. I just wish I could get that picture of the coach saying " Playoffs???!!! PLAYOFFS?????!!!!!!!!!" out of my head now. There's still hope.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Shane nice article. Straight and to the point. One thing I would like to suggest regarding "Sack City." Until this front shows more, they are not "Sack City." I'm not trying to be an a$$, but the Greatest Show on Turf wasn't coined GSOT until later in the '99 season. You first have to prove you're worthy of being called Sack City as a collective group... not just because of past individual performances. My two cents.

Alan

Legend
ShaneG moving back from the ledge:
And thank you, Alan. Yes, there are a few other things I could or should have touched on, including the play of Gaines and McDonald (which was good) and Davis needing to at least try to throw for first downs being so far behind in 3rd and long situations. Nothing really to lose at that point so at least give at a go and throw it at or beyond the markers.
At first, pretty much everybody here had a really pessimistic attitude about what happened in that game but that was just making everyone depressed . :LOL: Now we're looking for something to build on for the rest of the season. They're still our Rams so we need to try and get positive about them. :) It's good to see some of our players doing well. Looks like we might have found ourselves a good player in Gaines.

BTW, Do you have any insight into why Sam hasn't gotten his surgery yet?

RamWoodie

Legend
Good stuff ShaneG. I know I was disappointed...but at the same time I wasn't out of sorts about it either. If you played any kind of organized sports I think you can look back a remember when the team you were on, for some reason couldn't deliver. You played hard...but it just wasn't happening...and no one can put their finger on what it was. You go out and play the next game, and everything's better.

I don't know if that was the Rams deal...but I simply look for better next week.

AZRamsFan93

Thanks for the article. Not as much sunshine as your last article but, it is what it is. I just wish I could get that picture of the coach saying " Playoffs???!!! PLAYOFFS?????!!!!!!!!!" out of my head now. There's still hope.
One definition of hope: belief despite the empirical evidence. So I guess there is hope, but it is hard to find right now.

OldRock

Rookie
Name
Rocky
One definition of hope: belief despite the empirical evidence. So I guess there is hope, but it is hard to find right now.
I didn't find it under the first rock I picked up, but I kept picking up rocks. (y)

ShaneG

Starter

Still hope, certainly. Just one game in. Sometimes teams can look absolutely awful in a game or two through the season. It is more doom and gloom when it happens in week 1 as there is nothing else of context to really compare it to so naturally many people assume the worst as that is all they have to go on to the point of a new season.

ShaneG

Starter
Shane nice article. Straight and to the point. One thing I would like to suggest regarding "Sack City." Until this front shows more, they are not "Sack City." I'm not trying to be an a$$, but the Greatest Show on Turf wasn't coined GSOT until later in the '99 season. You first have to prove you're worthy of being called Sack City as a collective group... not just because of past individual performances. My two cents.

You make a great point there. On other hand, the Rams have been among league leaders in sacks the last couple of years but, again, I get your point. In terms of this year, they haven't shown it yet AND they still haven't had a season where they have led the league in that category. Thus, probably would be best to hold off on that until you have at least one season leading the league as a team.

ShaneG

Starter
At first, pretty much everybody here had a really pessimistic attitude about what happened in that game but that was just making everyone depressed . :LOL: Now we're looking for something to build on for the rest of the season. They're still our Rams so we need to try and get positive about them. :) It's good to see some of our players doing well. Looks like we might have found ourselves a good player in Gaines.

BTW, Do you have any insight into why Sam hasn't gotten his surgery yet?

I haven't gotten to talk to him about it but I will say that it is not completely uncommon for players to take some extended time to do some PREHAB prior to surgery. That said, one would think it would be about time to get on with it in the near future.

ShaneG

Starter
Good stuff ShaneG. I know I was disappointed...but at the same time I wasn't out of sorts about it either. If you played any kind of organized sports I think you can look back a remember when the team you were on, for some reason couldn't deliver. You played hard...but it just wasn't happening...and no one can put their finger on what it was. You go out and play the next game, and everything's better.

I don't know if that was the Rams deal...but I simply look for better next week.

I think what made it worse in terms of overreaction is due to the fact it happened in week one and this all people have seen to this point for this season. If they were 3-1 or something and layed an egg like this it would probably not have caused quite as much trepidation.