Rams vs. Titans preview

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Hey, its a serious game that lingerie league. When I watch it I'm very focused. :sneaky:
Big Ditto's!!:D Me Too!!

beachvolleyball7.jpg

Just like when I'm watching Beach-Volleyball!!

RamBill

Legend
Frank Wycheck joined Kevin Wheeler to preview Rams/Titans, they talked about Coach Fisher’s return, what makes Fish such a respected coach, the Rams turning the corner, and how the Titans dealt with the move from Houston and Fisher’s role in that.

Listen to Wycheck Talk Rams

RamzFanz

Damnit
I doubt we see anything at all this game. The busy week with Dallas and injury worries probably spell a lackadaisical effort with ramping up the last two weeks. A TD or two from Foles would be fun to watch, but I'm not concerned at all about this week.

RamBill

Legend
Rams-Titans: Five Things to Watch
BY NORM SANDERS
News-Democrat

http://www.bnd.com/sports/nfl/st-louis-rams/article31892430.html#storylink=cpy

Here are five things to watch when the St. Louis Rams travel to Tennessee to take on the Titans in their second NFL preseason contest (7 p.m. TV: Fox Channel 2 (national broadcast); Radio: WXOS-FM 101.1):

1. Will the Rams’ potentially dominant front seven terrorize Titans rookie and reigning Heisman Trophy winner Marcus Mariota?

They may not be in there for long, and don’t expect to see some of defensive coordinator Gregg Williams’ more exotic schemes, but the Rams’ fearsome front seven should give Mariota and the Titans’ offensive line all it can handle early. With backups seeing plenty of time in the loss to the Raiders last week, linebacker Bryce Hager led the way with eight tackles and backup defensive tackle Louis had seven. Cornerback Lamarcus Joyner, whose role increases because of the season-ending foot injury to former starter E.J. Gaines, has a lot to gain with more good performances.

2. With left guard Rodger Saffold (shoulder) out, how will a vastly inexperienced Rams offensive line hold up against the Titans?

Brandon Washington got the bulk of the work at left guard last week when Saffold was injured early in the Raiders game. A 27-year-old former sixth-round pick out of the University of Miami, Washington was beaten for one sack last week but played well otherwise and hopes to take advantage of this opportunity. Look for rookie right tackle Rob Havenstein and rookie right guard Jamon Brown to see a lot of action, too, while the situation at center remains unsettled though Barrett Jones remains listed as the starter.

3. Will the Rams stay with a lot of short drops and quick-out passes or begin taking shots down the field?

In his time in St. Louis, Fisher rarely shows his hand much when it comes to fully unveiling the offensive package. Former Eagles quarterback Nick Foles continues to develop chemistry with his new group of receivers and seems to have formed a close bond with tight end Jared Cook. With short pass plays, maybe the Rams can find a way to make better use of former eighth overall pick Tavon Austin this season.

4. With first-round pick and former Georgia star running back Todd Gurley out of the lineup indefinitely, will Tre Mason and Benny Cunningham develop as a solid force in the backfield?

Gurley will eventually return and the Rams’ didn’t use a first-round pick on him to see him as anything less than a featured back. But before then it’s an opportunity for Mason and Cunningham to continue to cement themselves as durable and effective NFL running backs. Mason ranked second among all rookie running backs last season with 765 yards despite not playing in the first four games. The versatile Cunningham had 246 yards rushing and three touchdowns in 2014 along with 45 pass receptions and also was one of the top kickoff return men in the league.

5. Will former Titans head coach Jeff Fisher receive a warm welcome in his first trip back to Nashville since joining the Rams?

Of course he will. Were it not for a dramatic tackle near the goal line by Rams linebacker Mike Jones that stopped Titans receiver Kevin Dyson just short of scoring, Fisher’s Tennessee Titans would have beaten the Rams in the 2000 Super Bowl.

===========

Five Players to Watch at Titans
By Myles Simmons

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Five-Players-to-Watch-at-Titans/6081d13e-6141-415f-bb88-7b39e9560849

As we get closer to Sunday’s 7 p.m. CT kickoff, here are five players to watch in the Rams’ preseason matchup against the Titans.

1) Trumaine Johnson - No. 22

The cornerback had a standout performance in St. Louis’ contest against Oakland last week with a key pass breakup and an interception in the end zone. He continued his strong work during practice with the Cowboys in Oxnard, especially during a one-on-one drill with Dallas’ wide receivers. Head coach Jeff Fisher said this week Johnson’s strong play has to do with a solid offseason.

“He was there every day. He’s worked. He’s taken care of his body and he’s determined,” Fisher said. “If you get in that third and fourth year and play like he has, you should start making those plays when you have that kind of ability.”

Johnson likely will not play too much, as it’s still the second preseason game. But last week illustrated that the cornerback can make a significant impact in only a few possessions.

2) Chris Givens - No. 19

Last week, Givens led the Rams with four catches for 36 yards, and also had a 16-yard run. The wideout was sporting a new number (19, switched over from 13) to honor a friend who passed away. On Sunday, Givens will have a chance to continue to make an impact, as he’ll likely continue to see some good playing time. His reliable hands and quickness should aid any quarterback with whom he plays. 

3) Ethan Westbrooks - No. 93

An undrafted free agent from West Texas A&M last year, Westbrooks has been working inside at defensive tackle a bit more than he did as a rookie. One of the reasons the D-lineman made the 53-man roster in 2014 was his versatility, and that seems to be paying dividends as the 2015 season approaches. Westbrooks has done a good job of disrupting the backfield in practice. He especially did so when the team worked with the Cowboys this week, even picking off a Tony Romo pass. Look for Westbrooks to continue breaking through the offensive line on Sunday.

4) Center position 

The three-way battle for the center spot is ongoing, and this game may be an opportunity for one of Tim Barnes, Barrett Jones, and Demetrius Rhaney to emerge as a front runner. Barnes got the start between guards Rodger Saffold and Jamon Brown last week, but it remains to be seen if that will be the case against Tennessee. What’s more, Rhaney saw time at left guard in practice with the Cowboys this week while Saffold recovers from tweaking his right shoulder in the Oakland matchup. Either way, keep an eye on Nos. 61, 67, and 65 for that center position battle.

5) Matt Longacre - No. 63 (DEF)

Longacre is an undrafted free agent out of Northwest Missouri State, and made significant contributions against the Raiders last Friday. The defensive end led the Rams with three quarterback pressures and also tallied a QB hit, according to the coaches’ tape review. As a player in the crowded and talented defensive line room, Longacre may have only an outside shot at making St. Louis’ 53-man roster. But with a few more performances like last week, Longacre could play himself into the conversation.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2015/8/22/9192339/st-louis-rams-tennessee-titans-preview

St. Louis Rams vs. Tennessee Titans: Preview Q&A with Music City Miracles
By 3k@3k_

GettyImages-186727007.0.jpg

Dilip Vishwanat/Getty Images

Getting the inside info from Jimmy Morris of Music City Miracles, the SB Nation community for fans of the Tennessee Titans.

The Rams are in Nashville ready to take on the Titans tonight on national television as we continue to tune up for the regular season. Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher has already suggested we'll see more time from the starters, so we should get a better look at the young O-line and the more reliable defense.

To get a sense of what the Rams are looking at tonight, I linked up with Jimmy Morris from Music City Miracles, SB Nation's community for fans of the Tennessee Titans.

How's the offense looking so far? The offensive line's pretty young; how are they working with Marcus Mariota and the run game?

The offensive line looked bad in the first game. They have reshuffled things this week. It will be interesting to see how they look against the Rams very talented front. Mariota turned the ball over on his first two drives, but led a nice TD drive on his third drive. I expect the offense to get better and better throughout the preseason. They have a lot of young guys that will hopefully just get better as they get more time together on the field.

Speaking of Mariota, what are the early returns? I really, really like yall's wide receiving corps. He'll have the anti-Sam Bradford entry into the NFL with that group. Are things seemingly clicking between Mariota and his wideout targets?

Mariota has been really good by all accounts. Like I mentioned above, he struggled early in the first game, but it was good to see him bounce right back. That is an important trait for a rookie quarterback. There is plenty of talent in that receiving group, but none of them have really put it all together just yet. I am excited to see what they grow into with Mariota under center.

Defensively, if you were an opposing offense, where would you attack? Is the pass rush going to be sufficient? Is the middle too soft? How about at the back?

The defense is also a work in progress. They were bad against the run and the pass last year. They were good against the run in the first preseason game, but Matt Ryan and Julio Jones marched right down the field in their only drive. The pass rush should be better with the addition of Brian Orakpo (assuming he stays healthy, of course). The defensive backfield should be better this year after they signed CB Perrish Cox and strong safetyDa'Norris Searcy.

How does the fan base feel about Ken Whisenhunt thus far? Last year was tough, but rosters don't get in that shape in one year. Is he the right guy to turn things around?

The fan base is skeptical. The roster does need a talent upgrade, but there were some things we saw last year that were just bad coaching. The concerning thing about Whiz is the fact that his record is terrible ever since Kurt Warner retired. He hasn't been able to find the next guy. Hopefully Mariota is the guy to help him turn it around.

To that end, what are the fan expectations/demands for 2015? You guys had 14 years of Fisherball, so patience is obviously a strong suit. What do you need to see from the Titans in 2015 to be optimistic about 2016?

It's really all about Mariota. If he gets better every week, everyone will be excited for 2016. If not, it is going to be another really long offseason.​

fearsomefour

Legend
I will be watching the Centers and how each plays....Robinson, Battle will be a focus to and good ol Washington....

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Missed everything last week. Looking forward to my first taste of live Rams football today.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I doubt we see anything at all this game. The busy week with Dallas and injury worries probably spell a lackadaisical effort with ramping up the last two weeks. A TD or two from Foles would be fun to watch, but I'm not concerned at all about this week.
This^ is pretty-much the way I see it too!(y)

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Missed everything last week. Looking forward to my first taste of live Rams football today.
I know it replay's at 10:00am PST tomorrow, on NFLN, But is it on TV anywhere before that!?