Rams Vs Titans: Gray's Grades from the Tennessee Triumph (101 ESPN)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

STL-Rams

Starter
Shane Gray provides special Rams commentaries on 101sports.com. Follow him on Twitter @ShaneGmoSTLRams.

Quarterback

St. Louis Rams quarterback Kellen Clemens showed significant improvement in his second start since replacing Sam Bradford following his season-ending knee injury.

Last week against the Seattle Seahawks, Clemens completed just 48 percent of his passes (15 of 31) for 158 yards. He threw two interceptions and ended with a rating of just 36.8.

This week vs. the Tennessee Titans, Clemens connected on 57 percent of his throws (20 of 35). His completions accounted for 210 yards, a touchdown and a much-improved rating of 84.2.

According to St. Louis head coach Jeff Fisher, Clemens’ enhanced performance was to be expected.

“I anticipated improvement out of Kellen,” Fisher said. “I mean, you do in the second week. He settled down a little bit. Obviously, he was a little excited last week, but he settled down this week and he felt good. He was ready to play, (and) made some good throws.”

For a second straight game, Clemens ended his outing with an incompletion in the end zone. A week ago, a completion would have secured a win. In this matchup, a connection would have secured an extra chance at a win via a regulation tie and an eventual quarter of overtime action.

Clemens was undoubtedly better in just his second start since the end of the 2011 season, but was prone to inconsistencies and his typical stretches of inaccuracy.

So, while his passing work was upgraded, his fumble with three minutes remaining in the fourth quarter was very costly. With the game then tied, Clemens was forced into a sack/fumble by Titans defensive tackle Jurrell Casey and Tennessee recovered. On the very next play, Titans running back Chris Johnson busted off the right edge for a 19 yard game-winning score.

And although connecting on 57 percent of his throws was obviously better than 48, it was still well short of the type of completion mark that is seen around the league by the more proficient quarterbacks or what was done earlier in the year by Bradford (61 percent).

Grade: C+

Running Back

In a season chock-full of disappointments, one of the biggest positives has been the emergence of running back Zac Stacy – a fifth-round rookie from Vanderbilt who continues to build a case to become the back of the future in St. Louis.

On Sunday, Stacy again dazzled with numbers remarkably reminiscent of those he posted last week against Seattle.

Against Tennessee, Stacy amassed 127 yards on 27 attempts. Last Monday night, Stacy gained 134 yards on 26 rushes. If you want consistency, that’s what you’re getting from Stacy.

On one jaw-dropping run Sunday – one that figures to be featured on his career highlight reel regardless of how long he plays – Stacy bounced off of multiple defenders and wouldn’t quit in showing burst on a Pro-Bowl quality 32-yard scamper.

“It was a great run, (Stacy) really did a great job with it,” Fisher said. “It started with (WR) Tavon (Austin) blocking a linebacker or he doesn’t get out. That’s just how he’s been playing. I’ve been told that since he’s started he’s leading the league in rushing over that span. That’s a credit to everybody up front. He takes care of himself. He’s a very instinctive runner. He’s a smart runner. He understands running the football and he’s powerful.”

To this point in the season, Stacy is averaging 4.6 yards per carry. To put that figure into perspective, Stacy’s counterparts in the backfield have been far less efficient, with Daryl Richardson averaging just 3.1 yards per rush, Isaiah Pead three and Benny Cunningham 2.9 per attempt.

Clemens, who has fed the ball to Stacy on every one of his runs in his back-to-back 100 yard rushing performances, has been impressed with the first-year back.

(Hope all will enjoy the rest of piece via link below and extensive quotes/analysis of the other position groups and coaching staff):

http://www.101sports.com/2013/11/05/rams-vs-titans-grays-grades-tennessee-triumph/

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
wow, D+ for coaches. Shane, I'd be interested to know coaches avg grade for season so far. thx again for great work.

fearsomefour

Legend
Pretty fair grades Shane.
I think a little extra shout out should go the way of Shelley Smith. I thought he played a very effective game, he was very good redirecting his guy in the run game and got effectively to the second level a couple of times. Wells has been better the last several weeks as well.
I agree about the screen pass.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Shane Gray provides special Rams commentaries on 101sports.com. Follow him on Twitter @ShaneGmoSTLRams.

Quarterback

St. Louis Rams quarterback Kellen Clemens showed significant improvement in his second start since replacing Sam Bradford following his season-ending knee injury.

Last week against the Seattle Seahawks, Clemens completed just 48 percent of his passes (15 of 31) for 158 yards. He threw two interceptions and ended with a rating of just 36.8.

This week vs. the Tennessee Titans, Clemens connected on 57 percent of his throws (20 of 35). His completions accounted for 210 yards, a touchdown and a much-improved rating of 84.2.

According to St. Louis head coach Jeff Fisher, Clemens’ enhanced performance was to be expected.

“I anticipated improvement out of Kellen,” Fisher said. “I mean, you do in the second week. He settled down a little bit. Obviously, he was a little excited last week, but he settled down this week and he felt good. He was ready to play, (and) made some good throws.”

For a second straight game, Clemens ended his outing with an incompletion in the end zone. A week ago, a completion would have secured a win. In this matchup, a connection would have secured an extra chance at a win via a regulation tie and an eventual quarter of overtime action.

Clemens was undoubtedly better in just his second start since the end of the 2011 season, but was prone to inconsistencies and his typical stretches of inaccuracy.

So, while his passing work was upgraded, his fumble with three minutes remaining in the fourth quarter was very costly. With the game then tied, Clemens was forced into a sack/fumble by Titans defensive tackle Jurrell Casey and Tennessee recovered. On the very next play, Titans running back Chris Johnson busted off the right edge for a 19 yard game-winning score.

And although connecting on 57 percent of his throws was obviously better than 48, it was still well short of the type of completion mark that is seen around the league by the more proficient quarterbacks or what was done earlier in the year by Bradford (61 percent).

Grade: C+

Running Back

In a season chock-full of disappointments, one of the biggest positives has been the emergence of running back Zac Stacy – a fifth-round rookie from Vanderbilt who continues to build a case to become the back of the future in St. Louis.

On Sunday, Stacy again dazzled with numbers remarkably reminiscent of those he posted last week against Seattle.

Against Tennessee, Stacy amassed 127 yards on 27 attempts. Last Monday night, Stacy gained 134 yards on 26 rushes. If you want consistency, that’s what you’re getting from Stacy.

On one jaw-dropping run Sunday – one that figures to be featured on his career highlight reel regardless of how long he plays – Stacy bounced off of multiple defenders and wouldn’t quit in showing burst on a Pro-Bowl quality 32-yard scamper.

“It was a great run, (Stacy) really did a great job with it,” Fisher said. “It started with (WR) Tavon (Austin) blocking a linebacker or he doesn’t get out. That’s just how he’s been playing. I’ve been told that since he’s started he’s leading the league in rushing over that span. That’s a credit to everybody up front. He takes care of himself. He’s a very instinctive runner. He’s a smart runner. He understands running the football and he’s powerful.”

To this point in the season, Stacy is averaging 4.6 yards per carry. To put that figure into perspective, Stacy’s counterparts in the backfield have been far less efficient, with Daryl Richardson averaging just 3.1 yards per rush, Isaiah Pead three and Benny Cunningham 2.9 per attempt.

Clemens, who has fed the ball to Stacy on every one of his runs in his back-to-back 100 yard rushing performances, has been impressed with the first-year back.

(Hope all will enjoy the rest of piece via link below and extensive quotes/analysis of the other position groups and coaching staff):

http://www.101sports.com/2013/11/05/rams-vs-titans-grays-grades-tennessee-triumph/

Nice article Shane. As usual.

Do you sense on the team an attitude of giving up on the year.?

STL-Rams

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
wow, D+ for coaches. Shane, I'd be interested to know coaches avg grade for season so far. thx again for great work.

I will go back and look over the entire season and average them out. Thanks for the kind words!

STL-Rams

Starter
Pretty fair grades Shane.
I think a little extra shout out should go the way of Shelley Smith. I thought he played a very effective game, he was very good redirecting his guy in the run game and got effectively to the second level a couple of times. Wells has been better the last several weeks as well.
I agree about the screen pass.

Great point. Smith is doing a terrific job and certainly deserves accolades for that.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Love your analysis, Shane...also love the fact you aren't afraid to show your fandom while still being a pro.

STL-Rams

Starter
Nice article Shane. As usual.

Do you sense on the team an attitude of giving up on the year.?

The guys I have been around and talked with lately haven't shown any sense of giving up. Seem to be a very stedfast group, as a whole. Lots of really good guys in that locker room, too. Because of that, you hate to see them struggling as a team even the more.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
The guys I have been around and talked with lately haven't shown any sense of giving up. Seem to be a very stedfast group, as a whole. Lots of really good guys in that locker room, too. Because of that, you hate to see them struggling as a team even the more.
Does this team's performance on the field not make sense to you given what you see behind the scenes? If yes, how would you explain it?

JCBRAVE

UDFA
I think you guys have a solid team and should look forward to the future.

I know its probably tough being 3-6 in the NFC West but you guys shouldn't pack it in yet. I could see Clemens continually improving and paired with Zac Stacy that could be a formidable duo for you guys.