Rams vs the Giants, Lions & Texans: No clarity

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Rams vs the Giants, Lions & Texans: No clarity

For myself, I can't get a pulse on the Rams vs these 3 teams.

They smoked the hapless Giants. Big deal

They had their issues vs the Lions. But they pulled out the win as expected

If they win by a blow out or a close game against the Texans Sunday, it won't reveal anything to me about how good they are.

I need to see how they perform vs the Titans, at the 49ers and at the Packers the next 3 games before I can get real pulse about our Rams.

Expecting a double digit win Sunday but not holding my breath after the drama week they've had since the victory over the Lions.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
No NFL team should be taken lightly on any given Sunday…I just hope we don’t play soft tomorrow just because we are up against the Texans…

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
There are a lot of teams that would have lost that Detroit game the way it started and the way Detroit played that day. But the Rams weathered it and tbh even if the Lions had gone ahead I'm thinking that a FG would have been doable. This offense seems to be able to score when they really need to and have scored when they needed to outside of that Cards game.

They're sort of taking the Texans lightly here but hopefully the 2021 Rams aren't going to have that shitty tendency to drop games like this. 6-1 so far with a loss to a good team only so in a way this game will tell us something, it will tell us if they're different this year in being able to take care of business vs bad rosters.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The last game was an anomaly. I won’t be concerned unless they struggle with Houston.

Teams now know they can pick on the Rams special teams though

ramsplaya16

The One and Only
They really didn’t struggle against the lions. The lions did a good job keeping the Rams offense off the field. When the offense was on the field, it was clear we were in control. The game was honestly never in doubt in my mind. It just felt as if the Rams were in control, despite the close score.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Its hard to get a real pulse on any team. Sure, we shoulda beat the Lions by more. But this is the NFL. The Lions can compete. They lost by 8 to the 49ers. By 2 to the Ravens. By 2 to the Vikings. Its not like they're getting blown out every week. The Ravens shoulda never had the opportunity to win on a record setting field goal. The refs let them run the play clock out without penalty the play before.

The Giants have wins over the Saints and Panthers. Lost by a point to WFT and by 3 to the Falcons. Obviously they're capable of competing. We got off to a slow start in that game.

What I do is look at the key positions. The most important position is quarterback. I would say we have a good one at that position. Could easily be top 5. Definitely top ten. He has legitimate weapons around him.

On paper the defense should be able to hold their own against most teams. At times they have us griping. But when its all said and done, aside from one game this year, they've done their jobs.

To me the pulse of this team is that its a good team capable of winning a lot of games and going deep into the playoffs. That is all we can ask in my opinion.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
The last game was an anomaly. I won’t be concerned unless they struggle with Houston.

That is our thorn on our side. ST sucks and has been for way damn too long.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My point with this post is we can't grade the Rams on their games vs the Giants, Lions and the Texans on Sunday.

They will be judged by their performances vs the Titans, at the 49ers and at the Packers over their the next 3 games.

Simple and to the point.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
They all count. The grades count.

Every practice and every game are data points for Stafford that he hasn’t experienced.

The games are critical for a guy that’s a rookie in this system.

That’s been my takeaway.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

I'm not sure the Houston game will tell us much either with all the substituting going on. But yes, Special Teams needs to pick it up in this game for sure. Just come home healthy and with a win, I'll be happy.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I think we got a little clarity from the Lions game, despite the lack of a blowout. Last year, the Rams lost games like that (the second 49ers game, the Jets game, etc.). This year, they weathered the storm and won.

As far as the Giants go, they aren't much better or worse than last year ... we played them at home and eked out a win over them. This year we played them on the road and gave them a good beatdown.

Flint

Pro Bowler
My point with this post is we can't grade the Rams on their games vs the Giants, Lions and the Texans on Sunday.

They will be judged by their performances vs the Titans, at the 49ers and at the Packers over their the next 3 games.

Simple and to the point.
Depends on the week, the Lions don’t look like the worst team in football, the Giants have shown some spunk, conversely the Titans lost to the jets and the 9ers lost to everybody. In the end it’s not about power rankings it’s about getting into the playoffs, winning the division, getting a home game and a bye.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
It is not our falult these 5eams suck this year in the NFC it is the haves and have nots not much middle ground. Until each team hits a equal opponent we won't get much clarity.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
I'm usually the eternal optimist when it comes to our Rams. That being said, I'm not sold on our defense. They seem to have issues with lesser teams and didn't fair well against the Cards or the Bucs really. So when push comes to shove I'm not sure where they stack up against quality opponents. No one hopes I'm more wrong than me.

TexasRam

Legend
I think we know exactly what we have.

A team that has a very solid Oline, excellent WRs and a very good QB that can execute at the highest level when he is on.

A coach that is an excellent play caller creating wide open crunch time plays red zone and third down plays and coaching them to near perfect execution. He does have a few head scratchers but is generally a great halftime adjuster.

A defense that is suspect at MLB and in the secondary and probably in scheme as well. But a very solid front line that can be a force in short yardage and in pass rush. Two playmakers that can you take over games.

We are a top tier team that has to shore up defensive issues and stay healthy. If so, we will compete for a championship. Then it depends on strategy and execution in the big playoff games vs equal opponents.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The Lions game wasn‘t the same struggle of 2020 against Miami and the Jets… The Lions stole 3 extra possessions via good ST play. If they don’t do that, we run away from them as expected.

Any given Sunday, of course… but the Texans should be the biggest slam dunk on our schedule.

Its a 17 game season… these are the weeks we pad some stats. Other teams get these kind of games… just look at Dallas, they get 6 of them inside their own division… Giants, Redskins, Eagles. :D

Jabbing you there @Rynie

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I don't remember such disparity in the NFL like we are seeing now. There is a vast difference between the top teams and the rest. Maybe Brady was right when he said that the league has turned into a skills competition.

At least we are getting to see depth players perform. As we know, we're only as good as the 53rd man on the roster.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is the same team that dominated the Bucs. And while they were missing some guys, that might make the game closer, but I doubt it changes the outcome.

The Bucs had reasons to come in here with a chip - we beat them last year, it was touted as an NFCCG preview.

Different than the Rams/Cards - we just didn't show up. So many unforced mistakes.

So I know who we are - were the best team in the NFL.

dang

Legend
One game at a time with an eye on improving our weaknesses. The obvious weaknesses being /2nd tier run defense, tackling in general, underneath pass coverage, and ST discipline. Keep improving in those areas without digressing in any other areas and the Rams will make a strong playoff run.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame

I think it was a wake up for the ST and we will not see that type of play on a fake again. As far as the onsides kick. The ball took a very bad bounce at just the right time for it to work. So not worried about that.