Rams vs Ravens SNAP COUNT

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Rams Week 17 snap counts: Van Jefferson, Ben Skowronek split time as WR3​

78f5df5afa274f54bb47f708b6c89967.jpg

Cameron DaSilva

January 3, 2022 7:24 am PT

The Rams were forced to deploy several backups and role players in the last month or so due to injuries and a massive number of COVID-19 cases. But on Sunday against the Ravens, they were almost at full strength and their starters did most of the heavy lifting as far as playing time goes.

Sean McVay didn’t use a very deep rotation on offense only deploying three players besides the 11 starters. On defense, there was a bigger mix of players used, but for the most part, nine guys played the majority of the snaps.

The snap counts from Week 17 give us an idea of the plan used by McVay against the Ravens, which barely got the job done in a 20-19 victory.

Offense​

Screen-Shot-2022-01-03-at-10.09.37-AM.png

Odell Beckham Jr. has clearly ascended to the WR2 role within the Rams’ offense, playing 98% of the snaps Sunday, tied for his highest snap share since Week 12 against the Packers. Cooper Kupp unsurprisingly played every snap, catching six passes for 95 yards and a touchdown.

The biggest surprise is that Van Jefferson only played four more snaps than Ben Skowronek. Jefferson wasn’t on the field at all during the Rams’ game-winning drive and it appears his last play came on Sony Michel’s touchdown run with 12:09 left in the game. Skowronek replaced him during that last drive, catching one pass for 15 yards with under three minutes to play. McVay didn’t say anything about Jefferson getting hurt, so it’s unclear why he wasn’t playing down the stretch.

Sony Michel played all but one snap on offense, being replaced by Jake Funk for only one play in the game. He could get a little bit of a breather in Week 18 if Cam Akers returns.

Tyler Higbee missed only two snaps as the Rams leaned heavily on 11 personnel and rarely used two-tight end sets. Kendall Blanton played just three snaps on offense.

Defense​

Screen-Shot-2022-01-03-at-10.09.55-AM.png

The Rams used more players on defense than they did on offense, which is the case every week. But it still wasn’t a very deep rotation on that side of the ball. Jalen Ramsey and Darious Williams played every snap, while Dont’e Deayon and David Long Jr. split time as the nickel corner. Deayon did play 12 more snaps than Long, however.

Jordan Fuller and Taylor Rapp never came off the field, and Nick Scott rotated in as the third safety for 21 plays, or 30% of the snaps. That’s about his usual snap share at this point in the season.

Greg Gaines was a warrior in this one, playing through a broken bone in his hand and only coming off the field for two snaps. He was in visible pain on the field and sideline but he battled through.

A’Shawn Robinson played 59% of the snaps as the third defensive lineman, his highest snap share since Week 10 against the 49ers.

Leonard Floyd and Von Miller played most of the game, staying on the field for 62 and 59 snaps, respectively. Justin Hollins and Ogbonnia Okoronkwo were the only other edge rushers, playing a combined 21 snaps.

Troy Reeder was the primary replacement for Ernest Jones, playing 96% of the snaps compared to just 28% for Travin Howard, who’s been elevated to the No. 2 linebacker spot with Jones out.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes and well deserved. I do think it's more and more important now for him to run the right routes but even with him fucking up the occasional route and the risk that brings we're a far more dangerous offense with him in there.

That 4th down catch... I honestly don't know if anyone other than Kupp could make it. Even with Kupp that one would have been iffy. Odell's hands are insanely good.

Also while I'm thinking about it... For Skow to start making key catches for this team is a hell of a thing for when he was drafted and him being a rookie. Van's undoubtedly lost some snaps due to some iffy hands. With Skow I always feel good when that ball is heading to him. Really happy with how he's coming around.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I saw Greg Gaines in obvious pain on the sidelines... got his hand sandwiched between two other guys making a tackle. And right after surgery. Hope he's gonna be OK.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Interesting to see Skow's snaps climb. Nothing against Van, but I do like having a big, strong WR in the lineup.

As for Gaines, what a fucking warrior. Man, his ascension during the second half of this season has supercharged our DL rotation. With ARob and SJD coming back, and AD continuing to be AD I really like what we have on the frontline going into the postseason.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah this team is interesting right now.

They're not as good in the pass game as I expected. I think some of that has been the loss of Woody and the working some other guys in, as well as Stafford learning and pressing, and protections needing work too. But either way end result is this offense has too much risk in throwing it to be considered an elite passing game.

BUT... Strangely enough with the stoutness of the run game and how well these guys up front are moving defenders they might be better suited to survive in the playoffs this time around.

Also the defense playing well is a big deal. And it magnifies having a quick strike type QB who can get hot at the end of the game too. As long as said QB can limit those turnovers in these playoffs things might really align for us.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I saw Greg Gaines in obvious pain on the sidelines... got his hand sandwiched between two other guys making a tackle. And right after surgery. Hope he's gonna be OK.
Tough, tough MFer... plays for his teammates.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Interesting to see Skow's snaps climb. Nothing against Van, but I do like having a big, strong WR in the lineup.

As for Gaines, what a fucking warrior. Man, his ascension during the second half of this season has supercharged our DL rotation. With ARob and SJD coming back, and AD continuing to be AD I really like what we have on the frontline going into the postseason.
Yea first thing I noticed too. Very interesting splits. Skow is the better blocker for sure, but man to have him already pushing Van's snap count doesn't exactly bode well for Jefferson. We spent 2nd round picks on Jefferson and Tutu and there's a legit chance both end up underwhelming.

1641243099790.png

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Yea first thing I noticed too. Very interesting splits. Skow is the better blocker for sure, but man to have him already pushing Van's snap count doesn't exactly bode well for Jefferson. We spent 2nd round picks on Jefferson and Tutu and there's a legit chance both end up underwhelming.

View attachment 50900

Jefferson still has a lot of value, especially on the deep routes. But I do agree with others who suspect that it's his hands are a factor in losing snaps to Benny Skow.

TexasRam

Legend
Skow had key blocks, catches and picked two defenders to clear out OBJ for the TD.

I think Skow can be a key player for us in the playoffs. Makes us much more physical then Jefferson.

Both Woods and Cooks dropped key post season passes in previous years. This lineup is WR core is bigger and more physical.

Think about how much our offense has evolved to a physical playoff ready offense with Sony, Skow and OBJ.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think in some ways the way Stafford plays favors big targets. He is streaky first off, and when he starts slow his passes require some catch radius to pull in. Skow has a real nice catch radius and generally the bigger guys do as well.

Maybe in next year's draft McVay can adjust what he's got the scouts looking for. How about more size. Better hands and ability to make contested catches. More physicality to muscle for position. Things that actually benefit the guy throwing the ball. Stafford is always gonna put up balls that give the WR a chance to go for it, he's done that his whole career. So why not quit identifying smaller guys and route technicians that were better for Goff and bring in some guys who want to get dirty out there.

Tano

Legend
Skow had key blocks, catches and picked two defenders to clear out OBJ for the TD.

I think Skow can be a key player for us in the playoffs. Makes us much more physical then Jefferson.

Both Woods and Cooks dropped key post season passes in previous years. This lineup is WR core is bigger and more physical.

Think about how much our offense has evolved to a physical playoff ready offense with Sony, Skow and OBJ.
Woods? I know Reynolds did. Can't remember a Woods drop in the playoffs but I am getting old

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
No jumbo packages with Boom.
I wonder if he was not fully healthy.
I think the jumbo package is one that served the Rams well, and hope that it was not just because of player unavailability.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
No jumbo packages with Boom.
I wonder if he was not fully healthy.
I think the jumbo package is one that served the Rams well, and hope that it was not just because of player unavailability.
I wonder if it's just because they felt their run game matched up better with the 11 personnel formations against this particular opponent?
Because they ran effectively, to me.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Maybe in next year's draft McVay can adjust what he's got the scouts looking for. How about more size. Better hands and ability to make contested catches. More physicality to muscle for position. Things that actually benefit the guy throwing the ball. Stafford is always gonna put up balls that give the WR a chance to go for it, he's done that his whole career.
Stafford was signed months before the draft, and they had plenty of time to discuss his preferences at WR. Not to mention the time to go through all of Stafford's career tape. He has ALWAYS loved throwing to bigger WRs, or at least WRs with big catch radiuses and the ability to make difficult, acrobatic catches. Just another reason why the Tutu Atwell pick stunk of desperation to me and made zero sense given our personnel. Not to mention we already had DJax on the roster prior to the Tutu pick.

After spending back to back 2nd round picks on underwhelming WRs (I think Van is decent but he wont be a difference maker IMO), it's hard to see us spending another high pick on WR. We have to develop Skro, Tutu, and Jacob Harris should be a legit weapon next year.

TexasRam

Legend
I think in some ways the way Stafford plays favors big targets. He is streaky first off, and when he starts slow his passes require some catch radius to pull in. Skow has a real nice catch radius and generally the bigger guys do as well.

Maybe in next year's draft McVay can adjust what he's got the scouts looking for. How about more size. Better hands and ability to make contested catches. More physicality to muscle for position. Things that actually benefit the guy throwing the ball. Stafford is always gonna put up balls that give the WR a chance to go for it, he's done that his whole career. So why not quit identifying smaller guys and route technicians that were better for Goff and bring in some guys who want to get dirty out there.
Real good point. In fact it appeared on the Jefferson deep ball vs the Vikings that Stafford was yelling at Jefferson afterwards saying “Fight for the ball!”. Jefferson seems to lack the ability to locate and adjust to the ball in the air and or go up and fight for it. Much like we saw with Reynolds.

But both Megatron and Galloway had the ability and were a great fit for Stafford due to his ability to throw a nice deep ball. But now we don’t have that guy. So looking in the draft for a big possession type would make sense. Doesn’t have to be a big body either. Players like Hopkins can locate adjust and come down with the ball in contested situations.

MachS

Hall of Fame
A few less running the wrong routes and getting more in synch with Stafford and we'll be deadly in the playoffs.
Hard to imagine the chemistry improving that much mid season and into the playoffs. He will be effective, but there will continue to be miscommunications. If you listen to his postgame presser, OBJ said it's been very challenging picking up this offense with none of the foundational off-season instruction. Everything has been on the fly, and he said McVay has added almost 100 new plays the last few weeks. Can you imagine how much his head is spinning? He's been doing an amazing job all things considered. And every new opponent, means new wrinkles and new plays will be added. So hard to see him fully catching up until next year IMO.

TexasRam

Legend
Woods? I know Reynolds did. Can't remember a Woods drop in the playoffs but I am getting old
Woods has at least one in the Super Bowl at the beginning. Reynolds as well. Then the two by Cooks, all of which can be debated ad nauseum. Suffice it to say all of which other possession WR’s could arguably have come down with.

I think Woods had a drop last year as well vs the Packers but I’ll have to double check. Not to diminish his impact to the Rams because he has otherwise been awesome.

Higbee also dropped a TD vs Atlanta.

Just making the point that sure handed WR’s are critical in the post season. We need more physicality and less finesse. Which. I think we are moving towards.