Rams Vs. Broncos: Shane's Select Seven

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

STL-Rams

Starter
http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLc...5401/Rams-Vs-Broncos-Shanes-Select-Seven.aspx
Rams Vs. Broncos: Shane's Select Seven

Shane Gray

While the St. Louis Rams finalized a daunting three game road trip last week and will return to home action this weekend for the first time in a month, the Denver Broncos remain road warriors as they conclude their own three game road trek with a matchup at the dome.
The Broncos stand alone atop the AFC West with a 7-2 season record. The Rams, on the other hand, sit in the solitude of the NFC West’s cellar with a 3-6 mark.

Help From Hill

After posting strong ratings of 98 or above in four of his first five starts, quarterback Austin Davis came back to earth in generating 75.4, 44.6 and 62.6 ratings in his last three outings.

With Davis struggling of late, Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher felt it was prudent to reevaluate the quarterback position and, in doing so, decided it was time to lean on veteran Shaun Hill, 34.

“We looked at things Monday night and I had lengthy discussions with the offensive staff and just felt that the best thing to do, at this point moving forward, was to lean on the experienced quarterback,” Fisher explained. “I told the team today in front of Austin (Davis) how much I appreciated Austin and his work ethic and his poise, his dedication and the tireless effort that he put in to prepare himself to play. He’s much better now than he was when he started, but made the decision to go ahead and play with Shaun (Hill)."

“We’re moving forward with an experienced quarterback that for all intensive purposes lost his job because of injury,” Fisher continued. “You all understand why we went that way because of the production that we got earlier out of Austin. Again, I don’t want to present anything that appears to be cloudy, but this is in my opinion and the offensive staff’s opinion, what’s best for this football team right now.”

According to Offensive Coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, the decision to demote Davis was most influenced by his recent propensity for turnovers. In his first five starts, he threw a total of three interceptions. However, in just his last three games, Davis has racked up five picks.

“Obviously, we went back and looked at things and Austin (Davis) has played really well for the most part,” Scottenheimer said Wednesday. “I think the big thing for us was the turnovers. It’s hard to win in this league when you’re turning the football over.”

While Davis has handled his return to the backup role in the classy manner that one would expect of the Southern Mississippi product, Hill is understandably excited to step back into the lineup after a 10-week hiatus.

“Obviously there’s some excitement that kicks in and things like that,” Hill admitted. “Now it’s kind of back to business as usual. I’m just 1/11th on offense. You go out and you prepare the best you can for Sunday.”

While Hill is happy to be back on the field, many wonder how much rust he will need to shake off after a two-and-a-half month layoff from live action on the gridiron.

Schottenheimer, however, does not seem overly concerned about that and feels Hill will be ready.

“He looked really good out here,” Schottenheimer said of Hill’s practice outings this week. “He’s been preparing. He’s a pro. He’s been in this role before. We were teasing a little bit that he looked a little out of shape and maybe had too many snacks over the last couple weeks, but he’s looked really pretty good and done a nice job. The ball’s coming out of his hand well. He’s making good, clean decisions. I don’t see the rust.”

In 27 career starts, Hill has compiled a 13-14 career record. He and the Rams hope he reaches the .500 mark Sunday in St. Louis.

The St. Louis Secondary
(For six more points in detail including Denver's D, the Dynamic Duo, Measuring Manning, Home Sweet Home and more, I'd greatly appreciate you checking out the full read here -- and I hope you greatly enjoy it, ROD. Thanks):
http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLc...5401/Rams-Vs-Broncos-Shanes-Select-Seven.aspx

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
It does not take a Rocket Scientist or as Sheldon Cooper puts it a Nuclear Physicist to understand Fisher's decision to go with the veteran and barring injury Hill will be taking the Rams home. At the end of the year all Ram fans realize that the future signal caller is playing on Saturday's, but my hope is that we realize why the Rams preferred Shaun Hill over the likes of Marc Sanchez & Kyle Orton during the 2014 off season.

Alan

Legend
Good stuff as always @ShaneG .

"Obviously, the St. Louis pass protection better be on its collective "A" game come noon Sunday. If not, it will likely be a long day for Hill and the Rams air attack."

I was unaware our O-line had an "A" game. I'm hoping we can step up this week and bring our "C" game. :unsure:

At least we're at home so our O doesn't have to contend with the noise factor.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Yeah, great read as always Shane...

I can not understand why Fisher continues to promote Rodney McLeod?

I also saw that comment about Hill too, hell he looked outta shape in preseason, wonder what he looks like now? Especially out of pads? Like that Pouncy brother that plays for the Phins????

STL-Rams

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It does not take a Rocket Scientist or as Sheldon Cooper puts it a Nuclear Physicist to understand Fisher's decision to go with the veteran and barring injury Hill will be taking the Rams home. At the end of the year all Ram fans realize that the future signal caller is playing on Saturday's, but my hope is that we realize why the Rams preferred Shaun Hill over the likes of Marc Sanchez & Kyle Orton during the 2014 off season.
On the other hand, some would argue that -- at 3-6 -- why go with a 34 year old QB when the postseason is pretty well out the window. Those of that mindset would argue that they might as well give Davis the rest of the year to see what they have (as a backup or otherwise) going into 2015.

Good point on how Hill was the guy this regime wanted to backup Bradford. They grabbed him because they liked what he brought to the table.

Thanks for reading and commenting, Den-the-Coach.

STL-Rams

Starter
I told the team today in front of Austin (Davis) how much I appreciated Austin and his work ethic and his poise, his dedication and the tireless effort that he put in to prepare himself to play. He’s much better now than he was when he started, but made the decision to go ahead and play with Shaun (Hill)."

This is one of the things I love about Jeff Fisher. He's compassionate with his players. I distinctly remember after the Rams had beaten the Titans in the Super Bowl, how Fisher put his arm around Steve McNair and shielded him from the media. It's no wonder the players love him.

"We were teasing a little bit that he(Hill) looked a little out of shape and maybe had too many snacks over the last couple weeks"

Strange way to motivate.

Thanks for another thorough and interesting article, Shane. But after reading through the quotes one has to wonder why the Rams would bother to show up at all against Peyton Manning and the mighty Broncos.

I like that about Fisher as well. He certainly cares for his players and is without a doubt a players coach in that regard (and others). As for the comments on Hill and his fitness level, I found that interesting and kind of funny, too.

Thank you for the kind words my friend. Glad you enjoyed the read. And yes, the praise for Manning was certainly flowing this week at Rams Park.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
On the other hand, some would argue that -- at 3-6 -- why go with a 34 year old QB when the postseason is pretty well out the window. Those of that mindset would argue that they might as well give Davis the rest of the year to see what they have (as a backup or otherwise) going into 2015.

Always enjoy what you bring to the table Shane, IMO, you stick with the youngsters until they totally start costing you football games and they would've stuck with Davis except for his propensity to turn the ball over. They have some winnable games coming down the pike with the Raiders, Redskins & Giants so at this point try to salvage the season and draft your future field general in 2015.

STL-Rams

Starter
Always enjoy what you bring to the table Shane, IMO, you stick with the youngsters until they totally start costing you football games and they would've stuck with Davis except for his propensity to turn the ball over. They have some winnable games coming down the pike with the Raiders, Redskins & Giants so at this point try to salvage the season and draft your future field general in 2015.
Thank you I really appreciate that. In addition, you make some strong points here.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Another well done article Shane.

I'm not sure if it is on my end or CBS's but I registered and didn't receive confirmation (and I did check my junk mail as well) so I could post a response over there. I'm guessing you'd like some of us to post comments over there as well. I just wonder if the lack of comments is a result of what I was experiencing.

As always, thanks for posting your article over here.

STL-Rams

Starter
Good stuff as always @ShaneG .

"Obviously, the St. Louis pass protection better be on its collective "A" game come noon Sunday. If not, it will likely be a long day for Hill and the Rams air attack."

I was unaware our O-line had an "A" game. I'm hoping we can step up this week and bring our "C" game. :unsure:

At least we're at home so our O doesn't have to contend with the noise factor.
you have a good point there... let's compromise and hope for a B :)

STL-Rams

Starter
Yeah, great read as always Shane...

I can not understand why Fisher continues to promote Rodney McLeod?

I also saw that comment about Hill too, hell he looked outta shape in preseason, wonder what he looks like now? Especially out of pads? Like that Pouncy brother that plays for the Phins????

Big thanks, LACHAMP46. I greatly appreciate that. And while McLeod makes some terrific plays and can really hit, he also has contributed to far too many big plays in the pass game due to being out of position, etc. ... As for Hill, good stuff there :)

STL-Rams

Starter
Another well done article Shane.

I'm not sure if it is on my end or CBS's but I registered and didn't receive confirmation (and I did check my junk mail as well) so I could post a response over there. I'm guessing you'd like some of us to post comments over there as well. I just wonder if the lack of comments is a result of what I was experiencing.

As always, thanks for posting your article over here.
I really appreciate you doing that and I will let them know what you shared in regard to having trouble posting over there. Thank you for the heads up!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
No problem man. Great win today - eh? Can't wait to read your write up on this one.

Cheers,

Stu