Rams vs ATL - Anything could happen

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FLramFAN

Rookie
When I sit back and look at how this game could play out, I think just about anything could happen.

There's the potential that either team could blow-out the other:

Falcons are reeling from a divisional loss last week and are playing their home opener. They know going 0-2 to start the season is almost the kiss of death. So, they are likely to pull out all the stops. I don't know how dinged up Julio really is and Roddy has had another week to heal and he still played last week. Harry Douglas never gets any publicity but he's a very, very good WR. So, I'm betting the injury issues are purposefully being hyped by the Falcons. Base upon all of the above, and the Falcons 3 year history of putting up a lot of points, there's a chance the Falcons run the score up on the Rams.

Rams put up good points on a defense that's better (in-general) that what ATL is able to put on the field. The offense had to have gained some confidence last week. Falcons are going to have to pick their own poison. They'll likely try to roll coverage to Cook after how well he played last week, but that means the WR should be getting less attention and Givens is more likely to be able to take the top off. Plus, with the extra attention Cook gets, when he stretches the deep seem, TA should find a lot of open area underneath. Add to it that the Rams defense really should be able to take advantage of a poor ATL offensive line and the potential is there for the Rams to put up plenty of points and limit the Falcons to a few.

However, it’s more likely that this is a close game that comes down to the wire IMHO.

The Rams still need everything to click pretty darned well on offense to put up points and they are still relying on a OL that’s played ONE game as a unit (Yes, they played well in the passing game last week.). The offense is still relying on young, inexperienced players to contribute and a few mistakes by these guys could be enough to make the difference. The Rams likely need to have the advantage in time of possession to come out of the game with a “W” and that means they’ll need to be able to run the ball. They weren’t able to open many holes last week (Avg. less than 3.0 yards per carry against the Cards) and they’ll need to be able to control the clock this week in order to limit the chances ATL gets to put points on the board.

The Rams defensive backfield features 2 highly inexperienced safeties that will be relied upon to stop the “quick strike” tactics of the Falcons. A couple of missed assignments or poor angles could lead to the Rams playing catch-up all game. Additionally, Ogletree is likely going to be dealing with trying to limit a certain HOF tight-end, Tony Gonzalez from being the go-to guys if Jones and White are seriously limited at the WR position. When you factor in the Chris Long is dinged up a bit, there could be a lot of pressure on the Rams D.

Assuming Roddy and Julio are slowed, at least somewhat, the Falcons still have Harry Douglas, Tony G. and Steven Jackson to get the ball to. The advantage in the run game has to go to the Falcons and if this comes down to a game where both teams think they’ll need to run often, it favors ATL. SJ is going to be extra motivated this week and our two S aren’t going to be laying the lumber to SJ like they did to a couple of the RBs in AZ Last week. ATL could decide to take it easy on their WR this week, pound the ball with Jackson based upon the fact that the rams run defense has been pretty poor and just take an occasional shot with the deep ball to see if they can catch the Rams sleeping and to keep them honest.

There are 2 very solid indoor kickers in the game and it’s very possible one of them decides the outcome of this game.

So there it is… Legitimate reasons why this game really could come down to the wire or have one team blow the other out.

Curious to know how others agree or disagree with my assessment.

RamzFanz

Damnit
This is how it's going to play out:

Ryan_zps34581caf.gif

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
FLramFAN expecting a close game:
The Rams still need everything to click pretty darned well on offense to put up points and they are still relying on a OL that’s played ONE game as a unit (Yes, they played well in the passing game last week.). The Rams likely need to have the advantage in time of possession to come out of the game with a “W” and that means they’ll need to be able to run the ball.

The advantage in the run game has to go to the Falcons and if this comes down to a game where both teams think they’ll need to run often, it favors ATL. SJ is going to be extra motivated this week and our two S aren’t going to be laying the lumber to SJ like they did to a couple of the RBs in AZ Last week.

I agree with much of what you said but I think the stuff I quoted has problems.

I don't think that you give our O enough credit. Everything didn't go "pretty darned well" last week and we put up 27 points on a D that you yourself think is superior to the Falcons.

I'm not going to get into a discussion about TOP except to say that I think it's highly over rated.

I don't think the run game favors the Falcons at all. SJ had one good run and that was probably due to a missed assignment or major mistake rather than anything special that SJ did. Both O-lines weren't able to get much push but the Rams were slightly superior IMO. I think the running game is a push to slightly leaning in the Rams direction. The Safeties aren't going to be laying the lumber against SJ why? Granted he's bigger but much easier to hit than Mendenhall.

What I think will be the deciding factor will be our pass D. If we play the same soft zone we played last week I think we have no chance of making this game close.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Sgt. Ram said:
I love your flash videos, if that's what they are. are you a video editor?

Na, plain old GIFs (Graphic Interchange Format). Oddly, GIFs were the most advanced animation decades ago (think hamsterdance.com) and the last couple of years they had a huge reemergence. I use the same software I used 15 years ago but the advent of web based GIF creation drove their recent surge.

Just about anyone who can work their way around a graphics program can make them.

They do take some time though.

I do it for fun although a lot of my work is used professionally by friends.

Fun fact - the lack of GIF support is one of the bigger reasons people are drifting away from facebook and towards tumblr, reddit, and others for picture sharing.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Sgt. Ram said:

By the way, I'm always open to helping a Rams Fan if you want a special signature or avatar and you can take anything I put out there. I don't care at all. Even my own avatar or signature. It's all for fun for me.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thought I would share some zingers from FB smack talking. Overall, Rams getting a lot of support for an upset.
Sounds like it's not just us on ROD, but many fans across the nation believe the Rams are for real.
Comments are sometimes funny and school yard my dad can beat your dad..........
Here are just a few from various folks:

Rams - 24
Falcons - 21

I never want to think that Atlanta will lose 2 straight games, especially this game being in the Dirty South, but I think the Rams are being slept on just a bit to much. Jeff Fisher really has that team going in the right direction, their comeback win albeit against Arizona they showed resiliency. It wont be easy but think it'll be an upset.

Wow you Ram fans are really stupid. I always had respect for you fans, but these comments show that you think you are the best team in the league. Ryan can EASILY beat this team by himself, and our defense will actually shine against your mediocre offense. Falcons have a field day 42-24.

You have no idea what's coming. The Rams pass rush is devastating and the FSOT offense is going to shock you.

I'm a Falcons fan first, but any other week a like watching Rams games as well, but let's get it straight this game is going to be close, no blowouts no ones breaking records just a hard fought game. I honestly think the Falcons will win because there still sour over last weeks loss and well Matt Ryan owns anyone who comes into the dome. Also, not to piss off Rams fans, but it's week 2 of the 2013/2014 season, you guys haven't been to the playoffs in how long ? and you guys have acted like you've accomplished something in the recent years ?

Hey man why do you think we are talking smack this is the first time in 6 years that we can say anything.

Sgt. Ram

the present moment is all you will ever have
RamzFanz said:
Sgt. Ram said:

By the way, I'm always open to helping a Rams Fan if you want a special signature or avatar and you can take anything I put out there. I don't care at all. Even my own avatar or signature. It's all for fun for me.

thanks I will look at your signatures