Rams Vs 49ers: Gray's Grades (101 ESPN/101sports.com)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ShaneG

Starter
Shane Gray provides special Rams commentaries on 101sports.com. Follow him on Twitter @ShaneGmoSTLRams.

Quarterback

If not for several dropped should-have-been interceptions by various San Francisco 49ers defenders, the stat line for St. Louis Rams quarterback Sam Bradford would have been even more abysmal than it was.

On the night, No. 8 completed just 46 percent of his throws (19 of 41). The Rams’ fourth-year quarterback finished the evening with 202 yards passing, a touchdown, an interception and a rating of just 59.2.

Yes, Bradford was again heavily pressured at times. Yes, he again was not helped by multiple drops.

(Hope you guys enjoy the full read below, including what might be a couple of surprising grades):

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.101sports.com/2013/09/30/rams-vs-49ers-grays-grades/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.101sports.com/2013/09/30/ram ... ys-grades/</a>

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Shane, it seems that everyone is down on Bradford after this game especially, and he deserved it, this was the worst game that I have ever seen him play. It was even worse than when he was playing hurt. However, when analyzing numbers for statistics, it's fairly normal to throw out the highest number, and the lowest number in the set to get a truer average.

I just threw this game out for Sam. In no way can I make a judgement on where he is in his development after this game. You can't ignore the 2 second protection two games in a row just a few days apart. You can't throw out the receivers running the wrong routes, which was probably why Sam threw some of those 50/50 balls. You can't ignore the drops, which occurred the entire game, and continues to plague the Rams. Sam's forced roll out, running for his life on a 3rd and long, throws a brilliant ball to Tavon, who can't catch it.

Let's think of the weapons that we were all told would help our QB, and our team. Jake Long, for instance, his play has been extremely poor. Our OL in general looks like the poorest in the league currently. Tavon Austin is clearly thinking too much, and has had a lot of drops, and poor/wrong routes. Brian Quick can't get onto the field consistently yet. He is behind the curve. Jared Cook forgot how to catch after the first game, and never learned to block. We have no running game. I've read reports that our receivers aren't getting any kind of separation during the games. Almost every catch, even dump-offs are contested. That screams of a major scheme issue to me.

Isaiah Pead looked like the back most likely to fit in this offense, but his head keeps getting in the way. Daryl Richardson clearly isn't 100%, and Zac Stacy hasn't showed anything to this point. I could go on. These are not excuses for Sam, these are facts. There were talent upgrades, but these weapons, even though they may be more powerful, they keep misfiring. What good is a powerful weapon if it doesn't fire every time that you need it?

Tom Brady wouldn't have been any better in the last two games in our offense. I could make a case that Michael Vick could have had a better game, but they still both would have been losses, because of the overall team issues the Rams are having.

Your grade on Bradford for this game is spot on, he played a horrible game, but I don't think it speaks to who, or where he is as a player. I think we have to hold judgement until all of the weapons, or help for Sam, are all dependable, or at the very least any one of them. Sam has been thrown into a jungle surrounded by wild animals, he has no protection to speak of, and his only weapon is a broken arrow. He's just a man, not a super hero.

DR RAM

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I like the use of F-... :lmao:

This was another big take away; "As a side note, neither Cook nor Kendricks appear to be doing much to help create holes in the running game."

Cook in particular appears to be lacking effort in this area. I could be wrong... but that's what it looks like from my lazy boy.

This: "Bradford has shown an ability to thrive in the no-huddle, but the Rams continue to largely (and stubbornly) avoid using it."

and this: "Richardson excelled on exterior runs a season ago, but has rarely been given outside carries this year."

Are both frustration points by the fans on this board.

Next week I'd like to see some A's on those Gray's Grades!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
EastRam said:
Tom Brady wouldn't have been any better in the last two games in our offense.

Sorry, gonna disagree here.

Bradford's 2013 rating: 82
Brady: 87

We're splitting hairs at the difference.

Brady is a HOF QB. But, he's not jesus as the YTD rating shows.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
CGI_Ram said:
EastRam said:

No one said he is and ratings mean nothing to me. But I would bet vegas odds that he wouldn't have missed Pettis and would have put it back shoulder on Quick.

Sorry not gonna compare SB to Brady or at least 5 other QB's at the moment.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
EastRam said:
CGI_Ram said:
EastRam said:

No one said he is and ratings mean nothing to me. But I would bet vegas odds that he wouldn't have missed Pettis and would have put it back shoulder on Quick.

Fair enough.

But I've seen Brady miss guys too... :cool:

EastRam

Pro Bowler
CGI_Ram said:
EastRam said:
CGI_Ram said:
EastRam said:

Fair enough.

But I've seen Brady miss guys too... :cool:

Fer sure. They all do. Lets just pray SB finds his moxie or we're SOL

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
EastRam said:

Let's see him get drilled two games straight, four days apart. He's not used to it. He has 2 to 4X the amount of time to throw the ball. Brady is one of the best out there, and I'm not comparing the two, I'm putting Brady in a crappy situation with no help, and I believe that he wouldn't fare much better after getting knocked around.

He may have made a couple more throws, he might have missed some different throws, he may have been knocked out of the game. He may have ended up with a better statistical game, but I don't think he could have won either of the last two games.

iced

seriously?

Brady has all day to throw with that line. Pretty much how it's been the majority of his career...

and when he has pressure, like lot of qb's, he crumbles... see giants superbowl win for reference

EastRam

Pro Bowler
DR RAM said:
EastRam said:

Let's see him get drilled two games straight, four days apart. He's not used to it. He has 2 to 4X the amount of time to throw the ball. Brady is one of the best out there, and I'm not comparing the two, I'm putting Brady in a crappy situation with no help, and I believe that he wouldn't fare much better after getting knocked around.

He may have made a couple more throws, he might have missed some different throws, he may have been knocked out of the game. He may have ended up with a better statistical game, but I don't think he could have won either of the last two games.

I see your point just don't agree. No worries. Would Brady have won the game? Dunno, If he hits that Pettis TD the game changes on both sides. Thats the problem we're guessing with.

A Tom Brady type of QB would fair much better than Sam. Maybe Sam will find his way. I sure hope so.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
iced said:
seriously?

Brady has all day to throw with that line. Pretty much how it's been the majority of his career...

and when he has pressure, like lot of qb's, he crumbles... see giants superbowl win for reference

He crumbled in that SB? Don't think so. I believe it took a bubble gum catch for the Gmen to win.

Or did we watch a different game?