Rams usually in no rush to sign draft picks/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams usually in no rush to sign draft picks
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/8602/rams-usually-in-no-rush-to-sign-draft-picks

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Since the new collective bargaining agreement in 2011 offered a defined rookie wage scale, teams have begun signing their draft classes earlier and earlier.

Over the past week, many teams have begun inking this year's draft picks. The Chicago Bears have already struck deals with their entire eight-man class.

Considering the fact that contracts now are essentially mandated by the CBA, there's little doubt the St. Louis Rams will soon fall in line with the rest of the league in signing their drafted rookies. But the Rams are usually apt to wait a little longer than the rest of the league.

In 2012, the team signed first-round pick Michael Brockers on June 7 but didn't complete the class until signing cornerbacks Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson until late July. Those deals were held up over reported disagreements on how the payment of Jenkins' guaranteed money would come.

Last year, the Rams moved a little quicker to get deals done with their draft class, announcing the signings of all seven rookies on June 13.

Of course, there's a method behind the Rams' slower approach to signing the rookies. Since there's no real negotiating to be done, the Rams know they can take their time without having to worry about an extended holdout.

So the Rams generally do all they can to make the most of the time before signing their picks. Under the guidance of director of player programs La'Roi Glover, the team prefers to put its rookies through a sort of orientation before doing the deals. That includes short seminars on money management, buying or renting a home and other important life skills before a contract is offered and signed.

If form holds, the Rams will follow a similar pattern this year, choosing to educate their 11 drafted rookies before handing them a big check. But there's no cause for concern; the deals will get done.

RamsFan14

Starter
Considering how NFL players have gone bankrupt, I love this move a lot! Rams showing that they care about there players instead of "expecting" them to handle there money whenever they get it (not the safe route to go).

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah, the Rams have become an all around class organization under Silent Stan. All we need now is wins lol.

FRO

Legend
I wish my job would offer this sort of financial training, but it is ultimately my responsibility. I think it's smart for the Rams to set their picks up with these sort of training seminars.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
When it rains it pours with signing our picks. They pretty much sign all at the same time and they show pics. I like that, it's classy.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I love the Rams approach here.

Education. And... Don't give them too much time to go crazy with the money before the real football starts.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
More than 25 percent of all 2014 draft picks already are signed
Posted by Mike Florio on May 19, 2014

contract.jpg
Getty Images

The draft began 11 days ago. Less than two weeks later, more than 70 players have signed their rookie contracts.

It’s no surprise. The negotiation process has become much simpler under the 2011 labor deal. The fact that so many players have been signed suggests that teams should endeavor to sign all draft picks as quickly as, for example, the Bears have done.

Still, with most of the players not signed and all of them (as far as we can tell) showing up for offseason workouts, not enough agents are insisting on contracts being put in place before players assume the risk of serious injury during offseason workouts. While the players receive a one-page letter of protection that ostensibly gives them the value of their contracts if they suffer a serious injury, the effectiveness of the device remains unknown because it’s never been challenged.

The safest course remains to insist on a contract before showing up for offseason workouts. While we’ve heard that some agents are doing this, not nearly enough have taken what should be a fairly straightforward position on behalf of their clients — if you want me to work, pay me.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I do wonder what picks do for money between the pick and signing their contract.

Do the teams advance them money? Is that the agent's job? Are they assumed to have a little bit of savings?

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I do wonder what picks do for money between the pick and signing their contract.

Do the teams advance them money? Is that the agent's job? Are they assumed to have a little bit of savings?
I think it's a little of both. I'm sure the Rams give them some per diem to eat and pay rent somewhere. I suppose agents will front the money for the purchase of a car, clothes, etc. to get through the early summer.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

I suspect they run up credit on cars, homes, and credit cards.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

I think the agents front the money. Makes sense.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I don't even know why fans even care. There was, at most, 2 rookies before the new system that held out. Then since the new system none. When has it ever been that big an issue for contracts to get done?

From the Rams' perspective, I get it and I agree with everyone else it's nice they have this system in place to teach the rookies about money management. But again from a fans perspective? It's meaningless.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I don't even know why fans even care. There was, at most, 2 rookies before the new system that held out. Then since the new system none. When has it ever been that big an issue for contracts to get done?

From the Rams' perspective, I get it and I agree with everyone else it's nice they have this system in place to teach the rookies about money management. But again from a fans perspective? It's meaningless.
Before the new system, it was something I cared about. I still remember Orlando Pace's holdouts.

Now... there's not going to be holdouts, so I agree with you.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Rams, Broncos have yet to sign any draft picks
Posted by Mike Florio on May 30, 2014

brinks.jpg
Getty Images

With nearly 75 percent of all draft picks under contract less than three weeks after the draft ended, two teams have done nothing to increase that percentage.

Neither the Broncos nor the Rams have signed a single pick.

Last year, the Broncos waited until June. This week, it’s expected that all of the picks will be signed in the next week or two.

For Denver, there’s no specific reason for it; that’s simply the way the tasks are scheduled. In St. Louis, there’s a reason.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, coach Jeff Fisher once again intends to delay the process in order to ensure that the players are prepared to handle the infusion of cash that they’ll be realizing.

The goal remains providing the draft picks with multiple financial lessons before giving them their signing bonuses. The Rams want the players to understand more about what it means to have significant money before giving it to them.

In the past, the lesson has included an armored vehicle showing up with $1 million in cash, and Fisher then showing the players how much goes to taxes and how much goes to the agent before the player starts getting paid in 17 installments that ultimately need to last for 52 weeks. Regardless of whether Fisher literally backs up the Brinks truck in 2014, the Rams won’t sign their rookies until the Rams think they are ready.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Rams, Broncos have yet to sign any draft picks
Posted by Mike Florio on May 30, 2014

brinks.jpg
Getty Images

With nearly 75 percent of all draft picks under contract less than three weeks after the draft ended, two teams have done nothing to increase that percentage.

Neither the Broncos nor the Rams have signed a single pick.

Last year, the Broncos waited until June. This week, it’s expected that all of the picks will be signed in the next week or two.

For Denver, there’s no specific reason for it; that’s simply the way the tasks are scheduled. In St. Louis, there’s a reason.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, coach Jeff Fisher once again intends to delay the process in order to ensure that the players are prepared to handle the infusion of cash that they’ll be realizing.

The goal remains providing the draft picks with multiple financial lessons before giving them their signing bonuses. The Rams want the players to understand more about what it means to have significant money before giving it to them.

In the past, the lesson has included an armored vehicle showing up with $1 million in cash, and Fisher then showing the players how much goes to taxes and how much goes to the agent before the player starts getting paid in 17 installments that ultimately need to last for 52 weeks. Regardless of whether Fisher literally backs up the Brinks truck in 2014, the Rams won’t sign their rookies until the Rams think they are ready.

"But this is how much might find it's way into your travel bag with a timely, unintentionally extra physical hit on Mr. Kaepernick. Just saying." - Gregg Williams

BuffaloRam

Hall of Fame
I like that the Rams are equipping the rookies with the tools to make better decisions with money - it shows that the organization takes their duty of care seriously.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I like that the Rams are equipping the rookies with the tools to make better decisions with money - it shows that the organization takes their duty of care seriously.

It's smart. I am surprised more teams aren't following our model.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
I like that they have continued this practice despite most other franchises not giving a damn. At the end of the day most of these men are barely old enough to legally drink. They can use all the help and guidance they can get.

BuffaloRam

Hall of Fame
I like that they have continued this practice despite most other franchises not giving a damn. At the end of the day most of these men are barely old enough to legally drink. They can use all the help and guidance they can get.
Amen to that. These young men are about to be in a financial position that could set them up for life or put them on the path of financial ruin. It will allow them to focus on football and making the team - which needs to be their number one priority.