Rams updates: Austin takes handoffs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Joe Lyons
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/rams-report/rams-updates-austin-takes-handoffs/article_ef46582a-f0dc-5bf8-b8fb-e6b0ab98f031.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... 8f031.html</a>

519fdd13cbd94.preview-620.jpg

Some quick observations after watching Friday's Organized Team Activities workout at Rams Park in Earth City:

• Tavon Austin, chosen No. 8 overall in the recent NFL draft, took a few handoffs midway through practice. At West Virginia last fall, in addition to catching 114 passes for 1,289 yards and 12 touchdowns, Austin rushed 72 times for 643 yards and three scores.

With the Mountaineer backfield depleted by injury, he amassed a school-record 572 all-purpose yards against Oklahoma. He ran 21 times for 344 yards and two touchdowns, caught four passes for 82 yards and added 146 yards on eight kickoff returns.

Now, at 5-foot-8 and 174 pounds, Austin isn't likely to see a ton of time in the backfield at the NFL level. But with his versatility and explosiveness, he's clearly someone that opposing defensive coordinators will have to account for.

• Quarterback Sam Bradford and new tight end Jared Cook seem to be clicking. Signed as a free agent, the ex-Tennessee Titan should be a huge part of the new-look Rams' attack.

• Friday's workout included a number of catches on deep balls. Bradford hooked up with second-year wideout Chris Givens for a 40-yarder during an early 6-on-6 drill and again down the middle on another drill.

Later, in a hurry-up drill, Kellen Clemens completed deep-route passes to rookie Stedman Bailey and to Raymond Radway, a 6-4, 204-pound second-year receiver out of Abilene Christian.

Third-year receiver Austin Pettis also made a nice grab on a long pass.

• The last player off the practice field Friday was rookie receiver ScottPillar, a 6-foot, 182-pound free agent Albright University in Reading, Pa. After running some post-practice routes with quarterback TimothyJenkins (Fort Lewis, Colo.) and fellow wideout Andrew Helmick (Lindenwood), Pillar finished up the day by catching passes from the Juggs gun.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I like hearing about Austin out of the backfield. Keep 'em guessing Schotty!

Cook could very well be the offensive difference maker in 2013.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
He HAS to be used out of the backfield every game on a handful of plays at least. I don't care how big he is. He's a natural, and is great at reading blocks. Especially considering he played RB in high school.

I hope also hope we see him in motion a lot. I would love to see a single TE four wide set with him motioning into the empty backfield and take a stretch hand off. Then do the same thing later in the game except with PA and hit one of our many deep threats over the top.