Rams turn to draft in hope of improvement | Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...-draft-coaching-staff-in-hopes-of-improvement

To this point in the offseason, the Los Angeles Rams haven't been very active in free agency, adding only a pair of outside free agents intended to provide depth on defense.

From the outside, the Rams' lack of activity or apparent effort to improve the roster, especially on offense, has undoubtedly left many of their faithful frustrated. After all, it's one thing to bring back most of the same roster from a playoff team. It's another to keep most of the pieces in place from a 7-9 squad that hasn't had a winning season since 2003.

General manager Les Snead understands that perspective, but also believes that sticking to the team's draft-and-develop -- emphasis on develop -- ethos will pay off sooner rather than later.

"It’s definitely a fair criticism, but I think we’re at the stage where if we want to tip -- and by tip I mean let’s stop being 7-9, 8-8 and let’s go above .500 and make a run for the playoffs -- a lot of times it’s not just adding a new player," Snead said. "A lot of times it’s going to be the core players that are in your building now that has helped you get to the cusp them taking a step, evolving, getting better, taking the team by the horns, making it their team. Some of that chemistry stuff that it’s not just a video game where you just go out and bring in new blood.

NFL draftand is complemented by putting the onus on a coaching staff that features a lot of new parts on the offensive side.

Looking at the Rams' big picture, there's understandable optimism that the defense can continue to produce under coordinator Gregg Williams, even after losing starters such as cornerback Janoris Jenkins, safety Rodney McLeod, linebacker James Laurinaitis and defensive end Chris Long. They did manage to keep linebacker Mark Barron, ends William Hayes and Eugene Sims and cornerback Trumaine Johnson, and added defensive end Quinton Coples and cornerback Coty Sensabaugh.

Keeping those players was clearly the priority over spending big money on an underwhelming crop of offensive free agents.

"Yeah our focus was to, as we got into it, our focus specifically was to address the defense because we had the potential to lose quite a few players," Fisher said. "So to think that we kept Mark and Eugene and William, that’s good stuff from our standpoint that we hang on to them because there was considerable interest out there. And then to be able to lock Tru up, hopefully, in the near future for long time is beneficial."

Still, it's on offense where the Rams must improve to something closer to the league average.

In free agency, the Rams kept center Tim Barnes, receiver Brian Quickand tight end Cory Harkey. Otherwise, they have stayed out of the fray besides quick looks at tight end Zach Miller and receiver Rueben Randle.

"It’s a combination," Fisher said. "We did re-sign our starting center. It starts there. I think there’s still players out there, No. 1, and we’ll turn to the draft No. 2. I said this for a long time and we accomplished it last year, we always wanted to draft four or five offensive linemen in the same draft and we did that. They all got to play and all developed, so now a need becomes a strength for us. Obviously, having drafted Todd [Gurley] and Tavon [Austin], and potential tweaks on offense, we’re going to be productive."

If that sounds like a familiar refrain, it's because it is. The Rams do have three of the top 45 picks in April's draft, which could offer some reinforcements at quarterback, receiver and/or tight end. However, this year's draft doesn't appear flush with instant-impact players at those positions and the players who come closest to qualifying might be out of the Rams' reach, barring a trade.

Even if the Rams turn to the draft to add offensive help, that means more youth that needs to develop. To that end, Fisher brought in Skip Peete (running backs) and Mike Groh (wide receiver/passing game coordinator) and promoted Rob Boras to coordinator. Fair or not, that group will be expected to make a difference in their first seasons.

"We’ve got a new offensive staff; those guys have been grinding," Snead said. "You can tell they’ve bonded. So between the rest of free agency, the draft, those guys installing, putting in their philosophy in OTAs is the goal of scoring more points on offense."

And, in their ideal world, finally turning a patient approach into more wins than losses.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm glad that the current regime turns to the draft for improvement, unlike some years, where the Rams tried to get worse through the draft. It's a nice change.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...-draft-coaching-staff-in-hopes-of-improvement

To this point in the offseason, the Los Angeles Rams haven't been very active in free agency, adding only a pair of outside free agents intended to provide depth on defense.

From the outside, the Rams' lack of activity or apparent effort to improve the roster, especially on offense, has undoubtedly left many of their faithful frustrated. After all, it's one thing to bring back most of the same roster from a playoff team. It's another to keep most of the pieces in place from a 7-9 squad that hasn't had a winning season since 2003.

General manager Les Snead understands that perspective, but also believes that sticking to the team's draft-and-develop -- emphasis on develop -- ethos will pay off sooner rather than later.

"It’s definitely a fair criticism, but I think we’re at the stage where if we want to tip -- and by tip I mean let’s stop being 7-9, 8-8 and let’s go above .500 and make a run for the playoffs -- a lot of times it’s not just adding a new player," Snead said. "A lot of times it’s going to be the core players that are in your building now that has helped you get to the cusp them taking a step, evolving, getting better, taking the team by the horns, making it their team. Some of that chemistry stuff that it’s not just a video game where you just go out and bring in new blood.

NFL draftand is complemented by putting the onus on a coaching staff that features a lot of new parts on the offensive side.

Looking at the Rams' big picture, there's understandable optimism that the defense can continue to produce under coordinator Gregg Williams, even after losing starters such as cornerback Janoris Jenkins, safety Rodney McLeod, linebacker James Laurinaitis and defensive end Chris Long. They did manage to keep linebacker Mark Barron, ends William Hayes and Eugene Sims and cornerback Trumaine Johnson, and added defensive end Quinton Coples and cornerback Coty Sensabaugh.

Keeping those players was clearly the priority over spending big money on an underwhelming crop of offensive free agents.

"Yeah our focus was to, as we got into it, our focus specifically was to address the defense because we had the potential to lose quite a few players," Fisher said. "So to think that we kept Mark and Eugene and William, that’s good stuff from our standpoint that we hang on to them because there was considerable interest out there. And then to be able to lock Tru up, hopefully, in the near future for long time is beneficial."

Still, it's on offense where the Rams must improve to something closer to the league average.

In free agency, the Rams kept center Tim Barnes, receiver Brian Quickand tight end Cory Harkey. Otherwise, they have stayed out of the fray besides quick looks at tight end Zach Miller and receiver Rueben Randle.

"It’s a combination," Fisher said. "We did re-sign our starting center. It starts there. I think there’s still players out there, No. 1, and we’ll turn to the draft No. 2. I said this for a long time and we accomplished it last year, we always wanted to draft four or five offensive linemen in the same draft and we did that. They all got to play and all developed, so now a need becomes a strength for us. Obviously, having drafted Todd [Gurley] and Tavon [Austin], and potential tweaks on offense, we’re going to be productive."

If that sounds like a familiar refrain, it's because it is. The Rams do have three of the top 45 picks in April's draft, which could offer some reinforcements at quarterback, receiver and/or tight end. However, this year's draft doesn't appear flush with instant-impact players at those positions and the players who come closest to qualifying might be out of the Rams' reach, barring a trade.

Even if the Rams turn to the draft to add offensive help, that means more youth that needs to develop. To that end, Fisher brought in Skip Peete (running backs) and Mike Groh (wide receiver/passing game coordinator) and promoted Rob Boras to coordinator. Fair or not, that group will be expected to make a difference in their first seasons.

"We’ve got a new offensive staff; those guys have been grinding," Snead said. "You can tell they’ve bonded. So between the rest of free agency, the draft, those guys installing, putting in their philosophy in OTAs is the goal of scoring more points on offense."

And, in their ideal world, finally turning a patient approach into more wins than losses.

I love Snead, "taking the team by the horns..." You get the feeling he loves the RAMS. Not just his job. All these guys, Fisher, Demoff, Snead, GREW UP Ram fans. They are like us. How often does that happen?

This group is going to have success. And it will be all the sweeter.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I love Snead, "taking the team by the horns..." You get the feeling he loves the RAMS. Not just his job. All these guys, Fisher, Demoff, Snead, GREW UP Ram fans. They are like us. How often does that happen?

Really? They all grew up Rams fans?

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Really? They all grew up Rams fans?

Yes. Read some of the stories.

• Fisher, from Torrance, went to his first Rams game with his dad at the Colliseum at 9.
  • Demoff was a senior in high school, from LA, and was bummed when they moved.
  • Snead, I believe the story goes, followed Dickerson at SMU and said, "I'm going to be a fan of the team that drafts him."
Do I have that correct guys? Any additional info?

RAMBUSH

Starter

I agree brother, I love Snead and fish. And we all know the rams are so dangerous and so close to exploding. I love our young core , I believe we are a wr. And a good blocking te. Away from a playoff run. Yes the qb.situation is concerning but with a good offensive line average qbs.can look pretty good.Gurley Austin and an emerging quick. Oh baby , look the hell out .... Here we come.. Go Rams!!!!
P.s. will the draft ever get here?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes. Read some of the stories.

• Fisher, from Torrance, went to his first Rams game with his dad at the Colliseum at 9.
  • Demoff was a senior in high school, from LA, and was bummed when they moved.
  • Snead, I believe the story goes, followed Dickerson at SMU and said, "I'm going to be a fan of the team that drafts him."
Do I have that correct guys? Any additional info?
That is all true according to their own words.