Rams try to avoid nose-vomiting

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
http://www.101sports.com/category/tsoft ... es-Report/

Are these young players stepping into a new world? No. Turning the page and entering into a new chapter?
Yes. Rams rookies reported on Tuesday, and will participate in a few private practice sessions later in the week. The team officially opens training camp on Sunday, July 29, with a 3:30 p.m. practice that is open to the public.

501084e3f92ea140fa00000.png

These rookie sessions are intended to regurgitate the information learned during the minicamps and OTAs in the spring. They give the coaches a chance to find out which rookies retained the information, and those who need a little more time in the classroom through blackboard X&Os and visual learning (video) or on field reps. Those who lacked the motivation to push themselves past the comfort zone while working out on their own the past five weeks will receive some extra attention from the strength coach. These poorly conditioned individuals will be as obvious as flies in milk, which will be unsettling for the coaches and embarrassing for the individual.

The rookies (as well as the veterans, when they report on Friday) will take a full physical and eye exam, which is routine. All rookies and vets will need to pass a conditioning test before they are cleared to participate in training camp. The conditioning test is made up of timed sprints with limited rest points to be completed in a short amount of time. When I assisted the strength staff while coaching in college and watching as a scout and executive in the pros, I saw players unable to finish due to pulled muscles from lack of conditioning, cramping up because of hydration in 105-degree temperatures (with a heat index at 118) and [hil]players vomiting through their noses due to being completely out of shape[/hil]. This is a bridge all players must cross with flying colors, or it’s not a good start to a very intense and competitive situation called training camp.

All the while, the clock ticks toward the first cut. Rams captain Steven Jackson sent a message to rookie receiver Brain Quick that permeated through the draft class and college free agents: Come back from the break in shape and focused with the mindset ready to help this team win; we are counting on you to contribute.

Training camp is a different animal, insofar as there is pressure to stay on top of your playbook assignments, play error-free football in practice sessions and compete at a high level on a consistent basis from the first time you step on the field. In addition, the speed of the game has changed and the collisions are more explosive. Rookies, welcome to the grown man’s league.

Weather and field conditions are evaluated daily, so all dates and times provided are subject to change, including autograph sessions. Parking will be available at the lot directly north of the ContinuityX Training Center at no charge. No parking will be allowed at area businesses or in the ContinuityX Training Center parking lot. Video cameras and alcohol are prohibited.

Training camp dates and times provided by the Rams media relations department.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Man I don't know how some of these guys get out of shape so easily. I mean you're a professional player, you should have a gym routine/trainer or something to help keep you going. I mean if my job was to play sports, I'd make sure I was always in top shape for it.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
bluecoconuts said:
Man I don't know how some of these guys get out of shape so easily. I mean you're a professional player, you should have a gym routine/trainer or something to help keep you going. I mean if my job was to play sports, I'd make sure I was always in top shape for it.
I dunno. If my *job* was to work out and be in top physical condition all the time, I'd probably look to take a few months off as well.

Speeps

Starter
X said:
bluecoconuts said:
I dunno. If my *job* was to work out and be in top physical condition all the time, I'd probably look to take a few months off as well.
If I was getting paid millions...MILLIONS to take a hour-two out of ever day during the offseason to make sure I was still in shape. I would have no problem doing it.

But I get your point, we all need a vacation sometime.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Speeps said:
X said:
bluecoconuts said:
If I was getting paid millions...MILLIONS to take a hour-two out of ever day during the offseason to make sure I was still in shape. I would have no problem doing it.

Yeah, that's all I'm saying. That doesn't excuse the fat bodies who just flat out loaf and eat unhealthy for months on end. Those guys should know better. But guys like Jackson, who tour the world during the off-season, probably take the time to hit the gym a few times a week too.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
X said:
Speeps said:
X said:
bluecoconuts said:

Yeah, that's all I'm saying. That doesn't excuse the fat bodies who just flat out loaf and eat unhealthy for months on end. Those guys should know better. But guys like Jackson, who tour the world during the off-season, probably take the time to hit the gym a few times a week too.

I was in the best physical condition of my life before I went to play JUCO....I still puked 4 times during the first conditioning. I lifted every day along with running 3 miles...It wasn't enough lol. I can only imagine what an NFL conditioning program is like