Rams training camp preview: Who will emerge as TE2?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder

Rams training camp preview: Who will emerge as TE2?​

Tight end isn’t exactly a heavily featured position within the Rams’ offense. Tyler Higbee has done an excellent job as the starter, but he’s never had more than 800 yards in a season or been targeted more than 89 times.

That doesn’t mean it’s not an important position, however. It’s a key spot when it comes to not only moving the chains, but blocking in the running game and helping in pass protection.

Even though Higbee will play most of the snaps, there’s still room for a No. 2 tight end to contribute, as we saw at the end of last season and into the playoffs. So let’s take a look at what the Rams have at tight end heading into training camp.

Roster locks

Tyler Higbee

Yep, only Higbee is a lock to make the team. Kendall Blanton and Brycen Hopkins look like they’ll be on the 53-man roster, but I can’t say with 100% certainty that they’ll both make the team.

Higbee took on even more snaps last season after Gerald Everett left in free agency, and after the Rams made no meaningful additions at the position this offseason, he’ll still be the go-to guy for Matthew Stafford at tight end.

Likely to make it

Kendall Blanton
Brycen Hopkins

Really, this could be titled “highly likely to make it,” simply because the Rams don’t have any other great options to back up Higbee. Both Blanton and Hopkins stepped up last season after Johnny Mundt went down, and they each played pivotal roles in the postseason – including in the Super Bowl.

Where they both must improve is as blockers. Hopkins has gotten better in that area, but they’re both better receivers than they are blockers. For a No. 2 tight end, being able to support in pass protection and in the running game is critical.

On the bubble

Kyle Markway
Jamal Pettigrew
Roger Carter
Jared Pinkney

It’ll take a strong camp performance for any of these four players to make the final roster. The Rams can easily get by with only three tight ends, especially knowing how infrequently they use packages with two tight ends on the field together.

They also have Jacob Harris, who I listed with the wide receivers. He can play some tight end if needed, which would give the Rams a fourth TE on the depth chart in emergency situations.

Battle to watch: Blanton vs. Hopkins

Neither Blanton nor Hopkins has a definitive edge to be the No. 2 tight end this season. There wasn’t even a clear-cut No. 2 last season when they took over for Mundt. Both played in the postseason, and while Blanton got most of the work, Hopkins actually played more in the Super Bowl than his teammate.

In all likelihood, both players will get opportunities to play on offense, even if Higbee stays healthy all season. So it may not matter much which one has the better training camp and preseason.

Projected depth chart

Starter: Higbee
Backups: Blanton, Hopkins

As I said before, three tight ends will be enough for the Rams this year. Higbee is going to play most of the snaps, and McVay has a strong preference for 11 personnel (1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WRs), so it’s not often that two tight ends are on the field together.

Keeping four tight ends is possible, but I think three is much more likely, especially if Harris makes it as a receiver.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Neither Blanton nor Hopkins has a definitive edge to be the No. 2 tight end this season. There wasn’t even a clear-cut No. 2 last season when they took over for Mundt. Both played in the postseason, and while Blanton got most of the work, Hopkins actually played more in the Super Bowl than his teammate.
Did Rodbot even watch the super bowl? Hopkins only played because Blanton got hurt. There was a clear cut number 2.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
To be fair I don't think the OP wrote the article lol
Yeah - still a WEAK article.

The Rams have a bunch of TE’s that are going to be in camp.

Higbee being the clear cut #1

Blanton #2
then Hopkins #3

Pettigrew
Pinkey
Carter
Harris ?

Thought there was another player Kyle M?

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve

Rams training camp preview: Who will emerge as TE2?​

Tight end isn’t exactly a heavily featured position within the Rams’ offense. Tyler Higbee has done an excellent job as the starter, but he’s never had more than 800 yards in a season or been targeted more than 89 times.

That doesn’t mean it’s not an important position, however. It’s a key spot when it comes to not only moving the chains, but blocking in the running game and helping in pass protection.

Even though Higbee will play most of the snaps, there’s still room for a No. 2 tight end to contribute, as we saw at the end of last season and into the playoffs. So let’s take a look at what the Rams have at tight end heading into training camp.

Roster locks

Tyler Higbee

Yep, only Higbee is a lock to make the team. Kendall Blanton and Brycen Hopkins look like they’ll be on the 53-man roster, but I can’t say with 100% certainty that they’ll both make the team.

Higbee took on even more snaps last season after Gerald Everett left in free agency, and after the Rams made no meaningful additions at the position this offseason, he’ll still be the go-to guy for Matthew Stafford at tight end.

Likely to make it

Kendall Blanton
Brycen Hopkins

Really, this could be titled “highly likely to make it,” simply because the Rams don’t have any other great options to back up Higbee. Both Blanton and Hopkins stepped up last season after Johnny Mundt went down, and they each played pivotal roles in the postseason – including in the Super Bowl.

Where they both must improve is as blockers. Hopkins has gotten better in that area, but they’re both better receivers than they are blockers. For a No. 2 tight end, being able to support in pass protection and in the running game is critical.

On the bubble

Kyle Markway
Jamal Pettigrew
Roger Carter
Jared Pinkney

It’ll take a strong camp performance for any of these four players to make the final roster. The Rams can easily get by with only three tight ends, especially knowing how infrequently they use packages with two tight ends on the field together.

They also have Jacob Harris, who I listed with the wide receivers. He can play some tight end if needed, which would give the Rams a fourth TE on the depth chart in emergency situations.

Battle to watch: Blanton vs. Hopkins

In all likelihood, both players will get opportunities to play on offense, even if Higbee stays healthy all season. So it may not matter much which one has the better training camp and preseason.

Projected depth chart

Starter: Higbee
Backups: Blanton, Hopkins

As I said before, three tight ends will be enough for the Rams this year. Higbee is going to play most of the snaps, and McVay has a strong preference for 11 personnel (1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WRs), so it’s not often that two tight ends are on the field together.

Keeping four tight ends is possible, but I think three is much more likely, especially if Harris makes it as a receiver.

Not sure who will make the roster but darn, it all three made serious contributions to the super bowl win. McVay and Snead did a great job!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Did Rodbot even watch the super bowl?
RODBOT last year during the Super Bowl:

UniformHiddenAcornweevil-max-1mb.gif

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm sorry for being an asshole. Re-reading my reply this morning I realize I could have been nicer about that.

i didn't notice any arseholeness in your reply. you were just clarifying your post.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Did Rodbot even watch the super bowl? Hopkins only played because Blanton got hurt. There was a clear cut number 2.

The awesome thing was even with Higbeast out, Blanton was big against the whiners and Hopkins made some very important plays and catches in the super bowl. I think our TE roster is set.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Good interview, but not a big Fan of My Man.Then to say it again doesn’t seem right. I know I put to much thought into it,but very awkward ending.

Jake & Alexis are awesome though & they do bring the person out of players.I’m sure there could be a friendship out of it & some bonding which is really cool.

I’m a Fan & the insight of WE not ME is such a BIG thing with The Rams. Mentoring is everything.Higbee is a STUD & is UNDERRATED!!He has matured a long ways since drafted.

The thought of his court case & how bad things could have needed up.The Rams have done an excellent job with him.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I think the article nails it. The two backups are on the same level, imo, with slightly different strengths. I think they'll see similar snap counts.
Where things will change, imo, is if Higbee is injured. At that point, I think Blanton gets the majority of snaps because he's got more potential as a blocker.