Rams training camp: Position battle updates after first 4 practices

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
By: Cameron DaSilva | 16 hours ago

usatsi_13127356.jpg

(AP Photo/Kelvin Kuo)

With a two-day break on Wednesday and Thursday, the first half of training camp is in the books for the Los Angeles Rams. They’ve gone through four practices thus far at UC Irvine, with only three remaining.

There’s been plenty to take away from those practice sessions, from standout players to Todd Gurley’s status, but the top position battles also continue to develop.

There are several spots the Rams still need to sort out, whether it’s with starters or backups. Here’s an update on how those position battles are going so far and who appears to be leading each one.

Inside linebacker
usatsi_11005856.jpg

Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

All offseason, it’s seemed like Micah Kiser would get the nod at linebacker next to Cory Littleton. Bryce Hager, however, will not go down without a fight. Through four practices, Kiser and Hager have alternated days with the first-team defense. As of now, it seems like they’re fairly close in the competition to replace Mark Barron.

Given his potential, Kiser is still likely the front-runner to win the job, especially based on the way coaches have talked this summer. With an impressive preseason and camp, though, Hager can keep his hopes alive.

At the very least, Hager should make the 53-man roster for his ability on special teams. That by itself gives him a chance to beat out Kiser at some point, even if it’s not in training camp.

As for Dakota Allen and Travin Howard, it’s been a relatively quiet week for them thus far.

Nose tackle
usatsi_10847044.jpg

Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

This is one of the most important battles of the offseason for Los Angeles. Rookie Greg Gaines and second-year player Sebastian Joseph-Day are fighting it out as viable replacements for Ndamukong Suh, with both providing good potential as run-stuffers in the middle of the line. Coaches talked highly of Gaines after he was drafted and suggested he would be the starter in base packages, but that was before practices began.

Since then, Joseph-Day has garnered most of the attention as a standout player in OTAs and training camp.

“He really had a good offseason,” McVay said of Joseph-Day. “He was one of the guys that really stood out for us. I think he’s really taken a big step from Year 1 to Year 2 with what we’ve seen so far. Certainly when you’re playing in the trenches, putting the pads on is usually the best indicator. But, in terms of a guy who has done what he can control up to this point and putting himself in a position to compete to see a lot of playing time, he’s done that.”

This competition isn’t over yet, of course, as we’re just four days into camp. But based on the way things have gone – Joseph-Day got first-team reps on defense – it looks like the second-year player has the edge over the rookie.

Offensive line
usatsi_13127074.jpg

(AP Photo/Kelvin Kuo)

It looks like the Rams are settled on Joseph Noteboom at left guard and Brian Allen at center with Austin Blythe remaining at right guard. But the competition on the offensive line goes deeper than just the starters.

The Rams have yet to sort out the backup rotation, which features young players such as Jamil Demby, Bobby Evans and David Edwards.

At swing tackle, it appears Noteboom will be the guy. When Andrew Whitworth got the day off on Monday, it was Noteboom who stepped in at left tackle. In his place at guard, Demby got the nod with the first-team offensive line.

On the second-team, it was Evans and Edwards lining up at each tackle spot, suggesting they’re each No. 3 on the depth chart behind the starters and Noteboom.

Backup running back
usatsi_13127029.jpg

(AP Photo/Kelvin Kuo)

Todd Gurley has gotten every other day off from practice, meaning he’s only been on the field twice in four days. That’s given his backups additional opportunities in practice, providing them extra reps that they would not have otherwise gotten.

As for who’s winning the competition, it’s difficult to say. Darrell Henderson Jr. has had a fantastic first four days of practice, according to those in attendance, and has already received first-team reps on offense.

Malcolm Brown and John Kelly have also gotten reps with the starters, too, so it’s not just the rookie practicing with the first-team offense, while Justin Davis is still in the picture, too.

“Malcolm Brown is a great player. We’ve always felt that Malcolm Brown is a starting-caliber back. When we lost him last year against Detroit, that was a huge loss for us because he does so many valuable things for us. … Darrell Henderson, John Kelly has done some good stuff, Justin Davis. It’s a good chance for those guys, but it’s just great having Malcolm back healthy. He had a good offseason and he’s started off camp the right way.”

Henderson undoubtedly has the greatest potential and has lined up at wide receiver in practice, so it would be great to see him emerge as Gurley’s primary backup. But the reliability of Brown and the comfort the coaches have with him could keep him as RB2.

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2019/07/31/rams-training-camp-position-battles-update-depth-chart/

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Rams get a 2 day break, Really? De Silva should be fired. :jerkoff:Rams are NOT off Thursday and they only get one day off. They are at Costa Mesa today for a joint practice and scrimmage with the Chargers, Probably the most important day for some Ram players since the beginning of TC.

So De Silva isn't planning on being there to report? I guess I have to do their job. Ram fans reading that will not know they can attend and now the Rams will have less fans at Costa Mesa thanks to De Silva.:poop:

Cameron De Silva, you're credibility sucks. I guess you are reading my camp reports supplement your articles, because its obvious you aren't there.:baghead:

Blows my mind how someone who gets paid to report on the Rams can not know about the team they are supposed to be following is going against another team for the first time this season, Tell the Fans their teams has a day off when they are doing a scrimmage.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Still way too early to get into depth chart statuses tbh, but a fun read. I think all we can say right now is it's been good news across the board...

Our two second year OL seem to be ready to go which is a huge positive. That was one of our biggest question marks heading in so yeah really happy that we haven't encountered issues yet.

SJD seems to be offering a real option on the nose, and the competition if it continues means we are now 2 deep at the position which is crucial when a team elects to try to mash our defense on the ground.

Henderson looks like an impact selection. This is a huge deal IMO when we have an All-Star RB who requires a more stringent snap count.

And I'll add that Matthews and Weddle have both seen unilaterally positive reports from coaches, players, and camp reports. When you consider how big an impact those two guys are capable of making it's sort of mind blowing.

This is our year dudes. I can just feel it man.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Didn't really expect much from SJD so that's kinda exciting but also disappointed that Gaines hasn't looked better at this point. Vinny mentioned that Kiser has only looked "ok" in his chat yesterday. Was kinda hoping for a bit more (the caveat for both players is no pads on).

Can't wait to hear about how the padded practice with the Chargers go.

BTW, if Obo can't practice by today, I'm starting to think he might not make the team out of training camp. (Especially if Fox is playing at OLB). I think we as fans really underestimate how much each and every practice means for players that aren't vets (3 years and less). Case in point, I don't think we realized how a small injury in camp led to Everett falling behind in the offense even last year.

And Obo was only a 5th rounder.

Last edited:

dang

Legend
Gaines needing a year to get fully acclimated was expected with hopes that he would contribute as the season progressed. I am more concerned with ILB hoping Kiser would come out of the gate impressing. I like Hager on the team but will be severely disappointed if he gets significant playing time. Just way too slow and non-athletic to be effective in other than fill the hole situations. Water under the bridge but would have felt a whole lot better if Rams had picked up someone like Zach Brown. I trust the coaches so perhaps they have it all figured out with the roster personnel. There is always an option to trade or pick up a cut if necessary.

Ram65

Legend
Didn't really expect much from SJD so that's kinda exciting but also disappointed that Gaines hasn't looked better at this point. Vinny mentioned that Kiser has only looked "ok" in his chat yesterday. Was kinda hoping for a bit more (the caveat for both players is no pads on).

SJD play is not a slight on Gaines. SJD was reportly working hard in the off season and was expected to give Gaines a run for his money. Gaines has looked bad as much as SJD has looked good.

Surprised that Hager is hanging around. That's not great news on the Kiser front. Did not read Vinny's "ok" on Kiser in the chat yesterday. I have my doubts about Kiser but, it's still early.

WestCoastRam

Legend
SJD play is not a slight on Gaines. SJD was reportly working hard in the off season and was expected to give Gaines a run for his money. Gaines has looked bad as much as SJD has looked good.

Surprised that Hager is hanging around. That's not great news on the Kiser front. Did not read Vinny's "ok" on Kiser in the chat yesterday. I have my doubts about Kiser but, it's still early.

"Kiser's been looking OK. Nothing that really pops out. I was watching Rapp a lot yesterday, really liked his coverage skills against TE's" - Vinny from chat when asked about LB.

Also he mentioned that he thought Fox was making his presence felt.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I’m not worried about Gaines at all.

He’s had exactly one padded practice in his NFL career. One...

Sounds like he and Joseph-Day will split duties this season. Split 50 snaps per game, IOW?

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
BTW, if Obo can't practice by today, I'm starting to think he might not make the team out of training camp. (Especially if Fox is playing at OLB). I think we as fans really underestimate how much each and every practice means for players that aren't vets (3 years and less). Case in point, I don't think we realized how a small injury in camp led to Everett falling behind in the offense even last year.

And Obo was only a 5th rounder.

Yeah, functionally, health is a skill. If he can't be healthy enough to show up - well, he was only a 5th rounder, the Rams don't have a lot invested in him - and it looks like the Rams are getting deep, so he may have missed the boat. Some other team will give him a chance if he gets cut, but he needs to be healthy and able to show his skills.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’m not worried about Gaines at all.

He’s had exactly one padded practice in his NFL career. One...

Sounds like he and Joseph-Day will split duties this season. Split 50 snaps per game, IOW?

Yeah, my understanding is that the Rams drafted Gaines for his game film, not for how he looked out of pads.

WestCoastRam

Legend
B
Yeah, functionally, health is a skill. If he can't be healthy enough to show up - well, he was only a 5th rounder, the Rams don't have a lot invested in him - and it looks like the Rams are getting deep, so he may have missed the boat. Some other team will give him a chance if he gets cut, but he needs to be healthy and able to show his skills.

Boy, I could go on for days on health being a skill and what mediates injuries. Of the players that find themselves most injured, I'd love to see a cross-reference of personality profiles. The autonomic nervous system is a fascinating part of the human body and can contribute quite a bit to what we see as muscle, nerve and tendon issues. And that system is mediated quite a bit by the limbic system... which is all about what we fear and how we defend against it. Would you believe that people who are perfectionistic, goodists (need to be seen as always helpful, never upsetting anyone) and those that struggle to contain their anger have a higher incidence of muscle, nerve and tendon dysfunction? It's a huge basis of my business.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame

On the other hand Hager looked pretty good in preseason last year. Sometimes it seemed like he was the only 2 stringer out there that knew what was going on during a play.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
B

Boy, I could go on for days on health being a skill and what mediates injuries. Of the players that find themselves most injured, I'd love to see a cross-reference of personality profiles. The autonomic nervous system is a fascinating part of the human body and can contribute quite a bit to what we see as muscle, nerve and tendon issues. And that system is mediated quite a bit by the limbic system... which is all about what we fear and how we defend against it. Would you believe that people who are perfectionistic, goodists (need to be seen as always helpful, never upsetting anyone) and those that struggle to contain their anger have a higher incidence of muscle, nerve and tendon dysfunction? It's a huge basis of my business.

This sounds right up the alley of Dr. John Sarno and The Mind Body Prescription. It's pretty fascinating stuff.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I was pretty excited when we drafted Gaines. He fills a role we badly needed for run defense. But the emergence of Joseph-Day is huge. If he beats Gaines out that makes the line that much better. Imagine how fresh they can be when rotating these guys in and out?

I remember when we drafted Obo Okoronkwo. A lot of us thought that would go a long way to adding an edge rusher. Now I'm thinking he may not make the roster. I keep hearing about all these different players competing for spots and not even a peep about him. Fortunately, the way Fowler has been dialed in, our edge rushers might be a strength instead of a question mark.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was pretty excited when we drafted Gaines. He fills a role we badly needed for run defense. But the emergence of Joseph-Day is huge. If he beats Gaines out that makes the line that much better. Imagine how fresh they can be when rotating these guys in and out?

Exactly how I see it. Gaines will play very well in this scheme and NT in general tend to translate relatively quickly. He just has to have all the fits down and be able to digest a scheme every week without his head spinning. So he is going to help us.

But having another guy step up and sieze the job is huge. That rotation will help us a great deal over the course of the season in our run defense, not to mention come the playoffs when offensive balance is a given. I've pretty much moved past my NT concerns at this point, think we are going to be in good shape but of course preseason will help a bit with that and Gaines is going to get a lot of action as the NT2. He'll be ready to go come game one IMO.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"Kiser's been looking OK. Nothing that really pops out. I was watching Rapp a lot yesterday, really liked his coverage skills against TE's" - Vinny from chat when asked about LB.

Well Rapp's strength is his tackling and pursuit ability, so if he's showing well in coverage he will end up on the field more than expected. Coverage is just never gonna be something Kiser does well.

Ram65

Legend
On the other hand Hager looked pretty good in preseason last year. Sometimes it seemed like he was the only 2 stringer out there that knew what was going on during a play.

Is that a good thing or bad thing?

The Rams haven't spend much in draft capital on the ILBer position. Hager is battling it out with late round draft picks and UDFAs.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I'm a therapist who specializes in Sarno's work.

I'd love to have a conversation. After years of hearing Howard Stern talk about Sarno I finally bought and read his book. I've since bought a few copies and given them to others - although every person I've given it to hasn't commented back to me.

I don't want to comment too far as I have not committed myself.

I do, however, want to say there is a lot of knowledge in Sarno's work and I think anyone reading this comment should at least look into it - no matter your physical and/or psychological place.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I'd love to have a conversation. After years of hearing Howard Stern talk about Sarno I finally bought and read his book. I've since bought a few copies and given them to others - although every person I've given it to hasn't commented back to me.

I don't want to comment too far as I have not committed myself.

I do, however, want to say there is a lot of knowledge in Sarno's work and I think anyone reading this comment should at least look into it - no matter your physical and/or psychological place.

You're always welcome to DM me if you have any questions. Yeah, the work is amazing. Nothing like giving someone their life back after years of disability.