OFFICIAL Rams Training Camp 2023

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dpjax

Starter
Camp Reporter
If you’d followed Rapp’s career as a Ram you’d be able to tell his short coming’s.Lake is a BIGGER BODY!

I also think penciling in players right now without much NFL experience is silly.

As much as I don’t like LAKE for some reason he seems to proving me wrong.He does make plays,but how consistent is another thing.
As much as player are moving in & out ooff the grass makes it hard to keep up .
—Like I said though is LAKE is coming in consistently as a Dime Package DB ?

Anyone else have an opinion on that ? I mean add that element to 1st. & 2nd string & how fast players are coming on & off the field.
Then add & tell me what number & who these players are in the defensive backfield.

Veteran Ram & BubbaRam sort of FAILED ME!!! Had limited time,wanted to buy them a beer.Thought they had there VIP
seats in front of the DB’s(defensive) field.

Anyways that DB group is going to be FUN.

LMFAO - Sean Mcvay keeps telling us about DK1.He has yet to be at PRACTICE. I’m thinking he might be the next Allen Iverson.
Can’t wait to see Davis Allen though at TE.Talk about a big body in the middle.

If I was drawing up plays & wanted a POWER GAME to close out a game.I might go
Higbee,Hopkins & Davis.Plus Kupp & Akers. Just think of the different options you’d have.

-/If anyone saw training camp & seeing Higbee & Hopkins outwide. I mean those 2 TE’s are going to easily have 1,000 plus yards & 10 TD’s amongst themselves EASILY!!
That was kind of Rapp’s game though, much more of an enforcer than good in coverage. Watching Lake up close last Monday he seemed to lack energy doesn’t seem to want it as much as some of the other players. I hope he shows out in the preseason games because we’re going to need that “Bigger Body.”

WestCoastRam

Legend
So far I've heard negatives about Bruss, AJ, and now Shelton. We needed to hit on one or more of them. At least Anchrum seems to be making it.

I don't know that this is that big of a deal. People have been beating the drum on Bruss but he just is what he is at this point... stop trying to make "fetch" happen. Give him another year and then we can see where he's at but he was always just going to be a depth piece this year and not even 1st guard off the bench. If Noteboom beats out AJ, great! His issue has been health. He's not a roadgrader but he can do some really nice above average LT things. AJ will be the swing tackle and continue to develop, that's good enough (given Noteboom's history, AJ will play at some point this season).

I will say, I had my biases towards Shelton at C as he offered the more physical presence but if Allen beats him out the benefit there is Shelton is an amazing swing C/G who provides great depth and will be the first offensive lineman off the bench (or maybe AJ) outside of anything happening at tackle.

Depth is heads and tales better than last year.

Far more important this year than probably what the line combination will be is the health of the line and the ability for whatever starters we end up with to all play together for as many games as possible.

This will not be a dominate line... but with health it will be in the top half of the league.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't know that this is that big of a deal. People have been beating the drum on Bruss but he just is what he is at this point... stop trying to make "fetch" happen. Give him another year and then we can see where he's at but he was always just going to be a depth piece this year and not even 1st guard off the bench. If Noteboom beats out AJ, great! His issue has been health. He's not a roadgrader but he can do some really nice above average LT things. AJ will be the swing tackle and continue to develop, that's good enough (given Noteboom's history, AJ will play at some point this season).

I will say, I had my biases towards Shelton at C as he offered the more physical presence but if Allen beats him out the benefit there is Shelton is an amazing swing C/G who provides great depth and will be the first offensive lineman off the bench (or maybe AJ) outside of anything happening at tackle.

Far more important this year than probably what the line combination will be is the health of the line and the ability for whatever starters we end up with to all play together for as many games as possible.

This will not be a dominate line... but with health it will be in the top half of the league.
LOL a ‘Mean Girls’ quote.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't know that this is that big of a deal. People have been beating the drum on Bruss but he just is what he is at this point... stop trying to make "fetch" happen. Give him another year and then we can see where he's at but he was always just going to be a depth piece this year and not even 1st guard off the bench.
Bruss looked damn good on his Wisconsin film. It's one of the reasons I had high expectations for him. He was physical in the run game and we knew he'd need some time with his pass pro but the guy was almost surely drafted to give us run potency.

He might need more time to return from that injury but fact is the guy hasn't looked like the same dude prior to the injury and now post-injury it looks like he's not showed well enough to compete for a starting gig. So I don't think it was always a given that he would need two years to return from that knee. You just don't know with those things. And this is why it's disappointing to me.

But next man up and all that. What really matters is can we field a strong starting five. And it sounds like maybe we'll get to see a little of the starting OL in preseason so maybe that helps get these guys playing on one sheet of music in the opener.

WestCoastRam

Legend
He might need more time to return from that injury but fact is the guy hasn't looked like the same dude prior to the injury and now post-injury it looks like he's not showed well enough to compete for a starting gig. So I don't think it was always a given that he would need two years to return from that knee.
I don't think it's an issue of needing 2 years to recover from the knee, most likely the knee is fine. He just lost a year of development which given what we saw in TC and preseason last year was going to be necessary if he were to take another step.

Perhaps people see other position groups get injured - even an ACL - and see guys come back and just pick back up or improve but that's just not gonna happen with an olineman. Snaps repping with lineman next to you are at a premium next to work other players can do even if they're not getting snaps and working (say their routes) on their own. Snaps blocking another person are at a premium too and you're not gonna get that on your own. He needed snaps to get better and he lost the WHOLE season to the ACL injury. He got NO SNAPS the whole year and lost a year of development. That's a big blow to a lineman and a HUGE blow to a lineman who needed to improve.

I'll admit, I don't have high hopes for Bruss but I'm tempering even that with the knowledge that this guy can't really be judged without a healthy year getting snaps (even as few as he will get in practice during the year) that he missed from last year.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
He wasn't used much around the LOS that I recall, but he was somewhat physical and a sure tackler. I didn't watch a ton of UCLA but I remember him being solid. There must be some Bruin fans or Alumni on this board with a pretty solid take on this.
As a Bruin fan.... the one thing I know about Lake is that he was extremely valuable to our defense. Him getting hurt that season basically resulted in our defense going in the tank. So my perception of his strengths is that Lake is is more of a deep free safety. In fact I think in the long run he's our best option at that position, even having more upside than Fuller. We played him in the box some at UCLA but he was so much needed on our back end, that's where he shined.

I'm looking forward to the preseason because honestly I'd like to see what the other UDFAs can do in pass coverage ...as opposed to us trying to force an extra safety in their. Hummel, Square, even Jaiden Woodley can play in coverage.

oldnotdead

Legend
They are still treating this like OTAs and are still rotating guys through positions. I see Taylor eventually as in next year taking over for Fuller. Taylor has good size at 6' 205lbs to play that middle zone he's also got the speed lacking in Fuller. The problem is we don't know what scheme Morris will play. If he stays true to form it will be a two deep shell or quarters. Two deep then you want Taylor and perhaps someone like Timarcus Davis playing in that deep shell. Both have the size and speed you want back there.

Don't sleep on Davis because they drafted Kendrick as the Rams wanted more size in the secondary. Davis brings size and decent speed and if they transition him to safety (which wouldn't be hard as he's a zone type CB) they could have their two deep pair. Regardless I see the Rams playing a lot of 3 safety sets early as Tomlinson develops. Tomlinson is going to take time to develop if they want him to play SCB like I think they will. SCB is the most difficult of all the CB positions to play and Tomlinson played primarily as a boundary CB much in the same vein as Jason Verrett.

If Rochell can get off the bench and start opposite Durant, the Rams will have a very good set of CBs in Durant, Rochell and Tomlinson. All 3 with excellent speed. Now factor in Taylor, Lake and Yeast and that gives the Rams a solid group of DBs.

With Hampton, and Mathis they really are just fine with only one ILB in Jones. When they play nickel which would be much of the time they only play one ILB anyway. Mathis can play as a WIL in support of Jones and I think when Johnson gets up to speed they can transition him inside as well. Dejuan Johnson really looks more like an ILB at this level and I think he was drafted with that in mind.

This team lacks experience not talent and that should be rectified from November onwards.

Tano

Legend
Seems like Allen is beating out Shelton at Center at this point
I don't know why people wanted Shelton at center. He looked so much better at RG in the Buffalo game. He was the only one who held his own that game. Then Allen got hurt and he went to center and was adequate imho but never really went back to RG with a healthy Allen.

I think Allen is a much better center than Shelton but Allen's injury history concerns me. Shelton is an adequate back-up at center and if Allen goes down again, well .... at least we have Shelton.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If Rochell can get off the bench and start opposite Durant, the Rams will have a very good set of CBs in Durant, Rochell and Tomlinson. All 3 with excellent speed. Now factor in Taylor, Lake and Yeast and that gives the Rams a solid group of DBs.
I'm praying he starts putting it together. Because Durant is the real deal, and I think Tomlinson won't take too long to be a guy we depend on. If Rochell can give us just average level starter production we should be in good shape in the secondary.

If not then we'll have to deal with some inconsistency with Witherspoon or Kendrick as that third option. I figure it'll be Witherspoon as he brings the vet presence and all that, but it won't be ideal by any means unless we get a big time rebound year from him. But even in his best window he's always been inconsistent so seeing a young guy like Rochell step up would be enormous for us.

Also I'm in wait and see mode with the safeties. Those guys are so dependent on whether the DC is calling it to their strengths, i.e. how they fit. Not sure we'll see a conjunction on that but either way we're looking at questions with 2/5 of the jobs on the back end (third corner & one safety) so even just one of them resolving in our favor would have big impact on our chances.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
That was kind of Rapp’s game though, much more of an enforcer than good in coverage. Watching Lake up close last Monday he seemed to lack energy doesn’t seem to want it as much as some of the other players. I hope he shows out in the preseason games because we’re going to need that “Bigger Body.”

Jason Taylor is my guy. Just one of those players you see in college & think I like the way he plays. He is BIG & Shows up.Yeast is different,he finds his way to the ball.
The preseason will be where we find out who is who.Kast thing Mcvay needs to do is give Lake a starting job without any preseason. Yeast might be another story ? He looks the part.

Fuller is the veteran leader & he layed a WR(RB) out.He really gets a good read on plays.
Just go back to his rookie season(#1 defense) & when he was starting the Superbowl year.
His win % is amazing I bet if you really looked into it ?

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
I would feel more confident in this defense if we signed Rashaan Evans to play MLB and John Johnson to start alongside Fuller. I would keep 5 safeties and two MLBs and expect all 7 to get plenty of reps between them through the season. I would happily sign them each to 2-3 year heavily incentivised deals because they can be had relatively cheap and are good nfl calibre starting players who could be part of a SB run in 2024

Lake and Yeast would be a big part of that picture whether they start or not and Taylor too, especially on special teams where I expect him to make a mark

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Finally found a seat. Place is packed except for the bleachers that are reserved for season ticket holders. Looks like 11on11 will be on the south field today, which is nearest the empty bleachers. Going to try to focus on DBs today.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie

I believe Allen is considered more athletic while Shelton might be more physical. But the NFL site has their weight really close to each other. Allen 4 pounds heavier. I always thought Shelton was bigger than Allen.

When Allen is playing well his best attribute is getting to the next level blocking on run plays. I suppose its also his years of experience in the same system.

What I'm hoping for is staying healthy for the most part and getting better as the season goes on. I wouldn't call them a top 5 line. Maybe not even top 10. But they can be more than serviceable with an experienced quarterback like Stafford.