Rams trade Akers to Vikings for pick swap.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This trade was as predictable as all hell. We just gave him away for nothing.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This blows. If Akers works out for Minnesota he’s well worth more than a 6-7 round pick. Technically it sounds like the Rams are swapping Akers and a 7th to get a sixth.

So, if Akers plays well and hits free agency, then he could get the Vikings a 2024 6th round comp. Which is more value than what they traded to get him.

I guess it gets some money off the books?
He'll probably be decent for them. Then some poor team will pay him a small contract and he'll tank while he pockets the upfront cash for his next illustrious career.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cooks Robinson and Woods weren't attitude problems though that's play and salary cap issues maybe even injury issues. Not sure I could tie that all together tbh.
It's bizarre handling of the players. Cooks get huge extension, dumped a year later. Arob? Big contract, dumped season later. Gurley? Totally bizarre ending. Not arguing with the success but it sure come off that with certain positions/players they fall out of favor and poof are gone. Cooks, Gurley and Robinson hurt the cap, werent cost saves.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
On a side note, Akers isnt a free agent after the season, he's an RFA thanks to the Rams "creative accounting"

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This trade was as predictable as all hell. We just gave him away for nothing.

Not nothing. We moved up from the 7th to the 6th round 3 drafts from now. We didn't have to give something up to dump his salary on someone else, so there's that, too... lol

WestCoastRam

Legend
Three seasons ahead is literally the farthest you can trade picks. Pretty sure NFL doesn't let you trade past that. We literally got the bare minimum.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I respect Akers for coming back from an Achilles injury in the same season to play in the playoffs for us.

Best of luck to him with the Vikings unless/until he plays us.
Can’t really ask for a better situation for him.He should do real well there with Kevin O’Connell who knows Akers really well.

Mcvay & The Rams really try to do The Best for there players to help them be successful,even when things don’t workout.

Wouldn’t say it’s a win win for The Rams,but for the Vikings & Cam Akers it should be.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Akers was a very non descript player. Brought little

Welp - we’ll all get to see what he brings in his next chapter away from The Rams.

The Rams have depth a RB & Royce Freeman will get his chance as a Ram I’m sure.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Three seasons ahead is literally the farthest you can trade picks. Pretty sure NFL doesn't let you trade past that. We literally got the bare minimum.
Had to be done though & Rams put in between a Rock & a Hard space

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Glad to have the distraction gone and moving on. Don’t care what happens to him next but can’t discount what he dud in recovery and at the end of last year with a shity team.

Focus in this week’s game plan and an opportunity to get a W no ine expected. .

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
This shows exactly what other teams felt what Akers is worth.

Not much.

oldnotdead

Legend
Funny how having a bad attitude turns people off. People are talking about him as a one year rental.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's bizarre handling of the players. Cooks get huge extension, dumped a year later. Arob? Big contract, dumped season later. Gurley? Totally bizarre ending. Not arguing with the success but it sure come off that with certain positions/players they fall out of favor and poof are gone. Cooks, Gurley and Robinson hurt the cap, werent cost saves.
Hurt the cap for one year but saved in years after. But not sure we can tie those moves to stuff like Akers and Hendo

Psycho_X

Legend
Arob I totally agree it was a terrible move in hindsight. But Cooks and Gurley I still don't have a problem with those contracts. Both earned their contracts and were dumped due to injuries ultimately. Gurley it was obvious as his career never recovered. Cook we could argue it would have been better to stick with him as he recovered from his concussion issues and has had a few nice seasons since the trade. But at the time I don't blame them when a 2nd rounder was offered.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Arob I totally agree it was a terrible move in hindsight. But Cooks and Gurley I still don't have a problem with those contracts. Both earned their contracts and were dumped due to injuries ultimately. Gurley it was obvious as his career never recovered. Cook we could argue it would have been better to stick with him as he recovered from his concussion issues and has had a few nice seasons since the trade. But at the time I don't blame them when a 2nd rounder was offered.
I dont cast aspersions on McVay here, every move made in one way or another got us a Superbowl win. He has changed a lot of what was "normal". While we have seen him show incredible patience with some players we've also seen him seemingly take an instant 180 on a guy and cut bait. While each outcome/circumstance/cap implications differ, the bizarre nature of the disassociation from the team seems very consistent. Alas, McVay's methods work so there's no questioning it

Status
Not open for further replies.