Rams to-do list heading into free agency

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams to-do list heading into free agency
by Vincent Bonsignore

http://www.insidesocal.com/nfl/2016/03/06/rams-to-do-list-heading-into-free-agency/

With NFL free agency set to begin on Wednesday and the Rams having roughly $50 million under the salary cap to work with, the list of things to do is long and detailed.

With one obvious general theme: Focus on taking care of their own.

Yes, the Rams have a definite need to improve the quarterback position, but with the options dwindling – Kirk Cousins signed his franchise tag contract to remain with the Washington Redskins, Peyton Manning is set to retire and the Denver Broncos are working hard to lock up Brock Osweiler – the Rams open market options are taking a chance at Robert Griffin III, making a run at veteran stop-gap Ryan Fitzpatrick or perhaps dealing for the 49ers Colin Kaepernick.

All of which come with major question marks, making it just as likely the Rams will look to the draft to find their quarterback upgrade.

If so, the focus in free agency most certainly becomes retaining their own players, a process already underway with Trumaine Johnson under contract for 2016 on a franchise tag designation.

With all that in mind, here is the work the Rams have cut out for them when free agency officially begins:

RE-SIGN JANORIS JENKINS

The Rams attempts to lock Jenkins up on a long-term contract hit a snag when he fired his long-term agent shortly after rejecting a five year, $45 million contract offer. By league rules, Jenkins was unable to secure a new agent for five days, and the Rams were disallowed from negotiating with him during that hiring freeze. In the interim, the Rams placed the franchise tag on Johnson, and now have to sweat out any overtures on Jenkins from around the league. That’s dicey no matter how you slice it, although the Rams have plenty of money to spend and have made re-signing Jenkins a priority. They value the time and effort investment in both Jenkins and Johnson, and envision a long-range future in which their two home-grown corners are an integral part.

SIGN WR MARVIN JONES

The Rams have an obvious need at wide receiver, and the former Etiwanda High and Cal Golden Bear is a player on the rise after showing improvement and development over his three years in Cincinnati, Jones is a big (6-2, 215) target and a well-respected young player who finished with 65 catches for 816 yards and four touchdowns last year playing alongside Bengals star A.J. Jones. And at 25, the Rams would be getting him just as he hits his prime years.

RE-SIGN LB MARK BARRON

A big part of the thinking of releasing long-time starting middle linebacker James Laurinaitis was moving Alec Ogletree from the Will linebacker to the Mike to replace Laurinaitis and moving Barron full time to the Will. It’s a sound plan as the Rams struck gold in landing the versatile Barron and his combination of power, speed and instincts makes him a perfect fit at outside linebacker. The trick now is re-signing him, although Barron figures to draw plenty of interest from around the league. Barron has expressed sincere interest in returning, and the Rams absolutely want him back.

RE-SIGN FS RODNEY MCLEOD

On his way out the door, James Laurinaitis paid McLeod the ultimate respect by pointing out the fourth-year free safety’s study habits, leadership skills and the security net he provided as the de facto coach of the back-end of the Rams talented defense. Those are attributes hard to replicate by merely replacing McLeod, whom the Rams uncovered as an undrafted free agent in 2012 and nurtured and developed into a solid front-line player. Bringing him back – along with Jenkins – would help solidify a strength of the Rams defense.

SIGN QB ROBERT GRIFFIN III

It seems unlikely the Broncos will let Brock Osweiler go, and with Kirk Cousins off the market the quarterback options are limited. RG3 comes at considerable risk, but the Rams would be betting on themselves that the strong foundation they’ve laid will provide the former NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year the perfect landing spot from which to reclaim his once promising career. The price tag will not be exorbitant and the time commitment probably minimal as RG3 is likely to prefer a short-term show-me deal in which he can tap back into the market after a strong showing. The risk is negligible compared to the potential reward, which is a physically and emotionally rejuvenated RG3 fitting perfectly with Rams’ running back Todd Gurley and play-maker Tavon Austin. All the more ideal if the Rams can draft or sign an impact wide receiver to create a much more dependable, productive offense. And signing RG3 should not impact the Rams draft plans, which includes identifying a quarterback of the future. But with a healthy, productive RG3 in the fold, the Rams could develop the draft pick either as a long-range option or flip him down the road for a more immediate need or multiple draft picks.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
As much as I love the irony of the Rams picking up RG#3,I just don't think that they have the coaches to work him into a being a good NFL QB.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
As much as I love the irony of the Rams picking up RG#3,I just don't think that they have the coaches to work him into a being a good NFL QB.
it would almost be worth a few more losing seasons caused by inept QB play to see Fisher send out all the players They got from the trade And RG3 for the coin flip against Washington, then win the game.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
So I went back and rewatched the last five games of the season and Jenks' play was not anywhere near that of a shutdown corner. It seemed like every game he'd make a bonehead play, like fall down and allow a TD to Boldin, whiff on a tackle, or draw a big penalty, etc. I'm not sure how I missed some of that last season, my memory of his play last year was that he shut it down on his side. He's a good corner, mind you, but man some team is gonna get robbed when they pay him super elite CB money.

Anyway, I can't imagine for the life of me why they're letting Barron hit FA. It just doesn't make any sense. The dude jumped out in just about every game for us once they put him in that hybrid role. Most LBs just do not have his explosive closing speed, and the dude hits with the pop of a much bigger guy on just about every tackle. Unless they're planning on drafting LB it just doesn't make sense, but even then will the LB give them what Barron gives them? Probably not. Even a high round guy like Lee, who should be there at 15, isn't the type of player who makes impact hits, he's a speedy chase and wrap up guy.

The most important FA signing the Rams can make, though, is WR. They have to get a guy in here who can help this terrible passing game. That will take some of the pressure off, and allow them to not press in the draft to fill the position. If they target Jones and bring him in, they need to let him know they're willing to PAY and make sure they're his first visit. Then don't let him leave. Yes, they're gonna have to overpay a little for a WR. It is what it is, and it will be worthwhile as long as they bring in a guy who can help them. Whoever it is, get him in and get him signed quickly IMO.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
making a run at veteran stop-gap Ryan Fitzpatrick
I really Like this^ idea! And I can agree with just about everything else in the op, except I'd sat clear of RG III! I don't care for him!!JMHO

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams expect to be busy as negotiating window opens
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...expect-to-be-busy-as-negotiating-window-opens

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- As Los Angeles Rams general manager Les Snead is quick to point out, the name for the next two days of NFL business is something of an oxymoron.

"Really, it’s time to find out. Everybody is trying to find out what the realistic value is and that’s why I do think it is a positive that we have that 48-hour period," Snead said. "I don’t know what they call it. Sometimes we call it "legal tampering" but those two words together don’t make sense. But what that allows us to do is the agent can actually talk to other teams and actually finally discuss real figures and they can come back and say this is what we’ve got and you need to say yes or no. Or they may figure out that what we’ve been offering all along is the best deal. I think you are going to see more and more (unrestricted free agents) get into that 48-hour period and figure it out from there."

That 48-hour period is now finally upon us. The NFL's version of jumbo shrimp begins Monday at noon ET, as all 32 teams can finally begin negotiating with unrestricted free agents. In a departure from recent years, the window for those free-for-all negotiations will last two days instead of three and the NFL has relaxed a bit on what can be said and done during that time.

Nonetheless, any agreement that is reached during the two-day period cannot become official until players sign and execute actual contracts with a team. By league rule, that can't happen until Wednesday at 4 p.m. ET.

Janoris Jenkins
The Rams would like to re-sign cornerback Janoris Jenkins when the free-agent period officially begins.

For the Rams, the next week will undoubtedly be busy and go a long way in shaping the direction of the 2016 season. Here's a look at some of the business the Rams have to take care of in the coming days:

-- The Rams have already placed the franchise tag on cornerback Trumaine Johnson, who has accepted the one-year deal at a price of $13.952 million. The Rams can and will continue to negotiate a long-term extension with Johnson but for now, we have to subtract that total from their available cap space entering the new league year. That means the Rams have about $45 million in cap space to work with as they head toward the league year.

-- One piece of business the Rams will also take care of in the next few days that will alter their cap outlook is to extend tender offers to restricted free agents such as quarterback Case Keenum, linebacker Daren Bates, safety Cody Davis and running backs Benny Cunningham and Chase Reynolds. Of that group, only Keenum is likely to get a tender beyond the original draft-position level. Of course, none will count against the cap until or if they sign the tender offer, but the Rams will plan as though those numbers will change.

-- To this point, the Rams have been active in trying to keep many of their own free agents. Players like Johnson, cornerback Janoris Jenkins, safety Rodney McLeod, linebacker/safety Mark Barron and defensive end William Hayes are their top priorities. None of them have agreed to deals yet and why would they? As Snead mentioned, with so much money available on the free-agent market, it behooves players and agents to at least see what the market has to offer before signing off on a deal with the Rams. Because of the negotiating window, the Rams should get quick answers on how their offers compare to what the open market could bring. It should also bring relatively fast decisions on whether they'll be able to get their guys back.

-- As for shopping around for outside free agents, we can't rule out the chances that the Rams willl go out and spend on a big-name free agent though that is more likely if they lose out on a couple of the names mentioned above. The better bet is that the Rams will take a similar approach in free agency as in recent years, spending the bulk of their cap space to keep their own and supplementing with potential bargains at positions like tight end.

-- The biggest X factor here is quarterback, where the Rams have repeatedly made it clear they're open to and looking for competition for Keenum. The Peyton Manning dream is officially gone but Brock Osweiler, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Chase Daniel and Robert Griffin III are expected to be available. Would the Rams be willing to invest the money needed to pry a player like Osweiler away from Denver or another quarterback-needy team like Houston? The time for answers to replace speculation is coming soon.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
LA Rams to focus mostly on own players for next 48 hours
By Vincent Bonsignore, Los Angeles Daily News

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20160307/la-rams-to-focus-mostly-on-own-players-for-next-48-hours

With 11 unrestricted free agents, almost all of whom they have an interest in retaining, the Rams will spend most of the first day of the 48-hour legal tampering period of free agency focused on their own players.

The tampering period begins at 1 p.m. PST,

That doesn’t mean they won’t reach out to other unrestricted free agents across the NFL — with whom they can negotiate all aspects of an NFL player contract over the next two days but can not technically agree to anything — but their primary focus is on their own free agents.

The bulk of those players are on defense, which means retaining starting cornerback Janoris Jenkins, free safety Rodney McLeod, outside linebacker Mark Barron and defensive linemen William Hayes, Eugene Sims and Nick Fairley.

Among the other unrestricted free agents are kicker Greg Zuerlein, receivers Brian Quick and Wes Welker, tight end Cory Harkey and center Tim Barnes.

The Rams have already addressed one of their unrestricted free agents by applying the franchise tag to starting cornerback Trumaine Johnson. Johnson signed the designation and will earn $13.9 million in 2016. The Rams will continue to work with Johnson on a long-term extension.

Barring an agreement with Johnson, the Rams have approximately $45 million to work with under the salary cap.

The Rams also have six restricted free agents: linebacker Daren Bates, safety Cody Davis, quarterback Case Keenum, running backs Benny Cunningham and Chase Reynold and offensive lineman Brian Folkerts.

The deadline to extend qualifying tenders on restricted free agents is Wednesday.

Free agency officially opens Wednesday, at which time any “agreements” reached during the 48-hour legal tampering period can be announced.

One player the Rams can officially talk to is quarterback Robert Griffin III, who was released Monday by the Washington Redskins. Griffin is immediately free to talk to, visit and sign with any team.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
I re-stacked the order, by what I feel should take priority:

RE-SIGN LB MARK BARRON -- IMO, this needs to be their first order of business. With JL55's release, the Rams starting LB corps is Ogletree in the middle and Akeem Ayers. Without Barron, this D gets worse really quickly.

RE-SIGN FS RODNEY MCLEOD -- yeah, he's been a favorite whipping boy around these parts, but he really upped his game last year. Needs to be kept for continuity, plus having one less hole to fill.

RE-SIGN JANORIS JENKINS -- with the caveat: ONLY if you don't have to overpay to keep him. Based on his recent tweets, he seems hell-bent for landing a premier contract. I'd sooner take my chances on Gaines making a full recovery and/or platooning Roberson with a CB draftee, and let JJ follow the mad money.

SIGN QB ROBERT GRIFFIN III -- or they could go out and sign a QB

SIGN WR MARVIN JONES -- this would be nice, but it's been reported that Hue Jackson and the Browns are going to pursue his services quite aggressively.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
SIGN WR MARVIN JONES -- this would be nice, but it's been reported that Hue Jackson and the Browns are going to pursue his services quite aggressively.

I'll call your Hue Jackson and raise you with Benjamins!

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

It's like Mannion doesn't exist. Why waste a 3rd rounder on him if they're not gonna give him a shot?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Jenkins wants more than 11 I'll miss him but not that much. And no thank you RG3.