Rams the latest team to fiddle with weekly practice schedule

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...team-to-fiddle-with-weekly-practice-schedule/

Rams the latest team to fiddle with weekly practice schedule
Posted by Darin Gantt on September 10, 2015

Add the Rams to the list of teams tinkering with traditional practice schedules, in hopes of having players fresher on Sundays.

In a switch that sounds remarkably similar to the Giants GPS week schedule, the Rams are replacing the NFL-standard Tuesday day off with a practice, and Thursday’s normal practice with a light walk-through, and eventually turning Thursday into a day off.

I don’t know what everybody else is doing in the league,” Rams coach Jeff Fisher said, via Nick Wagoner of ESPN.com. “This is just an in-house study that we’ve done. . . .

“That’ll take place next week. [Thursday] we’re going to do some things, but we’re not going to have a full-speed practice. All of the research is showing us that it might make more sense to take some time off and rest and recover closer to the game as opposed to Monday, Tuesday.”

The Eagles have been working on a different schedule since coach Chip Kelly took over, practicing Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, with nothing but stretching or walk-throughs on Friday and Saturday.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've been clamoring for Fisher to change things up this year... but not sure less practice for this team is the kind of change I was hoping for.

If it works, genius!!

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I've been clamoring for Fisher to change things up this year... but not sure less practice for this team is the kind of change I was hoping for.

If it works, genius!!
I don't think the change means less practice, just switching days off.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
Seems like a lot more injuries now that they are taking it easy on the boys. Seems like when they practiced more and practiced in pads more, there were less injuries. And better tackling, I might add.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think the change means less practice, just switching days off.
Gotcha. So, if I read it correctly, they're "replacing" Thursday practice with Tuesdays off... meaning they will practice on Tuesdays? Just me... but I'd think giving them the Tuesday off (being so close to their last regular season game) makes sense. By Thursday, their bodies shold have recovered more and the risk of injury less? Just seems counter-intuitive to me. But, I'm sure there's some science to it. Kelly's having practices on Tuesdays, so it must be valid! ;):LOL:

Seems like a lot more injuries now that they are taking it easy on the boys. Seems like when they practiced more and practiced in pads more, there were less injuries. And better tackling, I might add.
That's the question... how much is too much? These guy's bodies are so fine tuned now, it's much more difficult to come up with the right formula where they get the reps and practice, while staying healthy.

Oh, for the good old days when the coaches simply ran them ragged! :LOL:

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Gotcha. So, if I read it correctly, they're "replacing" Thursday practice with Tuesdays off... meaning they will practice on Tuesdays? Just me... but I'd think giving them the Tuesday off (being so close to their last regular season game) makes sense. By Thursday, their bodies shold have recovered more and the risk of injury less? Just seems counter-intuitive to me. But, I'm sure there's some science to it. Kelly's having practices on Tuesdays, so it must be valid! ;):LOL:

That's the question... how much is too much? These guy's bodies are so fine tuned now, it's much more difficult to come up with the right formula where they get the reps and practice, while staying healthy.

Oh, for the good old days when the coaches simply ran them ragged! :LOL:
Honestly I agree, I'm not sure if it is a smart idea, and I'm not arguing for or against it. Fisher said that they were experimenting with it so I guess if it doesn't work after 3 weeks he'll go back. The only upside that I see is that going into sunday they will be not as tired.