Rams team concept '23 after draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
So... whaddya guys think the idea is behind the roster construction?
Drafting Avila, Davis Allen and Zach Evans all point me to the Rams not kidding around when they say they want to run the ball more next year. I think the "light box" trend the Rams boosted is really prevalent around the league and the best way to fight that, if you don't have a truly elite passing game, is by being able to run the ball effectively.
The Rams have 4 tight ends on the roster and Skow.. and brought in a guy who *could* be a fullback.

The Rams talk about "complimentary football" a lot.. and I think they need to be more concerned with being able to sustain long drives this year than in years past where they were highly focused on "explosives."

Don't get me wrong.. explosives are still huge.. I just think they'll be getting a few more in the run game this year between Akers and Evans and with a legit Oline.

One of the reasons I think they'll adapt to this philosophy/approach... is that the defense just doesn't have a lot to be excited about or sure of this year. Man.. that secondary is SUSPECT.. so, to the MASSIVE chagrin of so many on here... I think the soft zones will be even more prevalent next year... in a desperate attempt to hold teams to field goals.

How they hold up in the run game is going to be crucial.. and a HUUUUUUUGE question. They lost Gaines, Floyd, Arob, Wagner and Rapp. These guys were huge in the run game last year.. and there are no answers right now with any real body of evidence to believe in.

I hope, hope, hope.. that Hoecht dropped about 20 and has worked really hard on understanding how to set an edge. If he can't.. yikes.

In short.. I'm saying I think the idea is a team that can hold onto the ball a lot longer on offense... and a defense that can, hopefully... hold teams to field goals. If they can't get great run defense out of who they have.. it's going to be an epically bad season on defense.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
It could be that McVay will run the ball more this season. Then McVay might rely on Stafford to pull out close games. Hopefully our defense will keep us in games. Our ragtag defense last season without AD, did a decent job of keeping games within reach.

Only thing is we could really use a good kicker and that is a big question coming into the season. After losing Greg Z, extra points and 45+ yard FG's were something we had to pray for. They were not automatic like with Matt Gay. Hopefully that won't be an issue this season.

Keep in mind that during the SB winning season, we beat Brady, the whiners and the Bengals each by a FG. I'm pretty sure that doesn't happen with Sam Sloman or Cairo Santos.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The kicker thing is a huge point. There's no way there's not a significant drop at that position.. Gay is just crushing it.

I'm very, very, very interested to see what Hoecht brings this season. He had 4.5 sacks last year in limited run.
He's a physical specimen who loves football... Maybe... maybe with an entire offseason of work, he'll be effective both on the edge and with the pass rush.
He's got that power-edge thing and Young, Hampton and Hardy have the speed stuff. Maybe there's a pass rush to be found after all.

NCRamGuy

Rookie
Name
ManmadeRam
I think we geared up for next year. I think we drafted Zach Evans to take 2 RB role after Cam Akers leaves.

I think Cam Akers is gone next year leaving our RB as: Kyrien Williams, Zach Evans, Tiyona Evans

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Lets Get Physical. Rams added the likes of Steve Avila & Warren McClendon on the Offensive Line plus Bryon Young, Nick Hampton & Kobie Turner on defense as they move away from finesse and focus on becoming more physical in 2023.

This draft begins the transformation along with new assistant coaches in OL Coach Ryan Wendell & Special Teams Coordinator Chase Blackburn.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I think we geared up for next year. I think we drafted Zach Evans to take 2 RB role after Cam Akers leaves.

I think Cam Akers is gone next year leaving our RB as: Kyrien Williams, Zach Evans, Tiyona Evans

If they want to hold on to him, the Rams have an extra year of control on Akers.

He is just a restricted free agent in 2024.

oldnotdead

Legend
Improving the offense came down to primarily improving the OL. Avila and McClendon will provide them with at least one immediate starter in Avila and probably depth at OT/OG in McClendon. Improved OL will keep Stafford upright and time to make his passes, and it should open up the run attack as well.

Defensively, the emphasis was on the front 7, providing them with defensive scheme options within that front 7. Young is clearly the replacement for Floyd, and I really think Hampton gives them an option to play with a SAM which they haven't had since Ebukam left. Mathis gives them an early down rotational DE or to play as a WIL behind Hoecht. I think it will be a little of both. Mathis looks to be an upgrade to K. Thomas at that DE rotational position.

If Morris wants to play a base nickel as drafting Hodges-Tomlinson would suggest then he has about as good of a SCB as he could get. S Jason Taylor might be looked at as a replacement for Fuller. They signed a couple of UDFA that look to be a better fit for a zone scheme secondary than Kendrick with one being CB Cameron McCutcheon.

I think we will see the offense morph back to being more like 2018, in which a strong run game set up the passing. Zach Evans could be looked at an option next year to extending Akers. But this year he makes the Ram RB room very strong along with Akers and Williams. Nacua could be the long-term solution for a Y WR starter and a receiver that will fill the role that they hoped Allen Robinson would fill. It wouldn't surprise me if their starting WRs are X WR Jefferson, Y WR Nacua and Z WR Kupp. Atwell and Skowronek make them 5 deep at WR. That's why I think the offense will look reminiscent of 2018 not 2022.

IMO the only way the Rams could mess it up on defense would be for Morris to insist upon playing his friends not necessarily who is best, i.e. Kendrick over Rochell or someone like McCutcheon. If Pleasant plays the best guys and plays them aggressively the secondary will be fine. The problem with last year was Morris' passive style, i.e. lining up his CBs 10-15 yds off the LOS and standing there reading instead of anticipating. Changing how Morris' scheme is played is more important than the scheme itself.