Rams TE Johnny Mundt hopes toiling in the trenches pays off

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams TE Johnny Mundt hopes toiling in the trenches pays off​

THOUSAND OAKS — For the Rams the past four years, Tyler Higbee and Gerald Everett played most of the downs and caught almost all of the passes thrown to tight ends, while Johnny Mundt was limited to a backup role that emphasized his skill as a blocker.

Mundt’s work was grunt work.

But that might be about to change, to the evident satisfaction of Mundt, an undrafted free-agent signing from Oregon who labored through a succession of one-year contracts and practice-squad spells to earn his shot at glamor.

“I’m feeling great about it,” he said Thursday after practice. “I’m confident in myself. I’ll try to go make some plays.”

How many plays Mundt, 26, can make as a pass receiver will help to determine the prominence of tight ends in the Rams offense in its first season with Matthew Stafford at quarterback and DeSean Jackson going long.

When the Rams lost Everett, who signed with the Seahawks as a free agent in March, first in line to replace him as No. 2 tight end was Mundt, who had re-signed for one year three days earlier.

One problem: Everett had caught 127 passes in four years, second to Higbee’s 173 among Rams tight ends. Mundt had caught nine.

Mundt had his moments. The biggest came in October. With Higbee sidelined by a bruised hand, Mundt started along with Everett and pulled in three passes from Jared Goff for 48 yards – 41 of them coming after breaking tackles, 34 on one catch-and-run – in a 24-10 victory over the Bears.

“I hoped to build some confidence in the coaches that I could do it that game setting,” Mundt said.

He didn’t catch a pass the rest of the season.

But it wasn’t lost on Rams coaches that Mundt had good hands, having caught 23 from Justin Herbert for 334 yards and four touchdowns as an Oregon senior.

Rams offensive coordinator Kevin O’Connell said Wednesday that he and Stafford had just been talking about Mundt and “how much of a vertical threat he can be.”

“We all saw last year against Chicago, really in a week where we needed him, his play-making ability with the ball in his hands, yards after catch, different ways we can activate him in our offense,” O’Connell said.

A healthier Higbee will remain the Rams’ No. 1 tight end, a security-blanket receiver for Stafford.

At No. 2, Mundt is “ready to take on a bigger role,” Rams coach Sean McVay said this week.

The other two tight ends, Brycen Hopkins, in his second year, and Jacob Harris, drafted in the fourth round from Central Florida with the idea of moving him from wide receiver to tight end, are “working to establish themselves,” McVay said.

Mundt has been there.

“Every year you try to progress, and I believe that year to year, even week to week, I’ve always improved,” Mundt said of his four-year wait. “It hasn’t been completely linear.

“But I’m really happy with where I am right now.”

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Jacob Harris is more of a hybrid then a true TE, Mundt is an excellent blocker and has progressed each year as a receiver, this could be the year we see more of the Oregon Duck product, especially with Stafford at QB.

oldnotdead

Legend
Mundt needs to show that he can hang on to the ball. He had too many drops in 2019. Also, he's the slowest of the TEs with all his receptions being short. He needs to prove he can get open against the ones, get downfield, and hang on to the ball. In other words Mundt has a lot to prove before anyone starts anointing him a downfield threat. Frankly, if they need roster room Mundt is expendable from the depth at TE.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Mundt needs to show that he can hang on to the ball. He had too many drops in 2019. Also, he's the slowest of the TEs with all his receptions being short. He needs to prove he can get open against the ones, get downfield, and hang on to the ball. In other words Mundt has a lot to prove before anyone starts anointing him a downfield threat. Frankly, if they need roster room Mundt is expendable from the depth at TE.

Guess I don't recall so many drops, but IMO, Mundt is also an excellent blocker so that cannot be discounted because the other two TE's Hopkins & Harris, when it comes to blocking, it's not their strength so I believe Hopkins might be more expandable, however, hopefully they will allow both to showcase some growth.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Guess I don't recall so many drops, but IMO, Mundt is also an excellent blocker so that cannot be discounted because the other two TE's Hopkins & Harris, when it comes to blocking, it's not their strength so I believe Hopkins might be more expandable, however, hopefully they will allow both to showcase some growth.
While every site has a slightly different view on drops, here's Mundts drop stats
2020: 0 drops
2019: 1 drop
2018: 0 drops
2017: N/A (no stats for 2017, played 4 offensive snaps)

HE HAS TO DO BETTER!

Last edited:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Oldnotdead, so you're adding Mundt to your list of players that need to go? Along with SJD and Havenstien?

Mundt looked in better shape, was faster and caught every throw I saw thrown to him. But what do I know, since I was there and you weren't.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Mundt really stood out to me at TC. He looked faster and caught everything thrown his way.
I love player development.
Seriously, it's one of the things that differentiates organizations in so many sports. The Dodgers are so much better than anyone else at it and it shows.
The Rams have done an excellent job of it, imo. Getting real production out of limited draft capital in many cases. His physical traits were definitely good enough to play the position, and if he has the smarts and work ethic, he can do it.

Excited to see him make an impact. Stafford loves him some TEs.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Oldnotdead, so you're adding Mundt to your list of players that need to go? Along with SJD and Havenstien?

Mundt looked in better shape, was faster and caught every throw I saw thrown to him. But what do I know, since I was there and you weren't.
I personally think AD has got too big for his britches. So I am starting my own list of players, who need to go,
and 99 is on the top. There will be NO britches stretching on this team.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Of course we won't know til it gets real, but it sure looked like they were trying to get Mundt more touches in 11 on 11 in TC.

Should we add Ramsey as getting too big for his britches?

army of darkness GIF

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Of course we won't know til it gets real, but it sure looked like they were trying to get Mundt more touches in 11 on 11 in TC.

Should we add Ramsey as getting too big for his britches?

army of darkness GIF
The cynic in me wondered how much they might be getting ready to move on from Higbee next season, but his contract number next year is very, very reasonable when you look at numbers around the league. But that is a spot where they could save 5 million.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Mundt will probably remain a role player. That role being blocking. Maybe he gets more opportunities in the passing game here and there but if that happens too much it means other weapons are not producing at the desired level. Guys like him do have value because in that first second of a play a defender is keying on everything but him. Get dependent on him though and you're in a spot where you need a guy who can't produce when he's being keyed on.

And as to his work paying off... It just did. He made the team. Same goes for Hopkins btw who hasn't improved much as a passing weapon but who did improve in his run blocking.