Rams Talk With Jim Thomas: 8/25/15

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are selected questions and answers only. To read the entire chat click the link below.
http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/Talk_Rams_with_Jim_Thomas?Page=0

Rams Talk With Jim Thomas: 8/25/15

On what basis can Fisher claim the offense is "coming?"

I would say from an optimistic basis.
-------
What could Fisher/Snead have been thinking, to go with 2 rookies and a virtual rookie on this year's OL? It's obvious they are a long way from being ready, if they ever are, considering that two were considered big reaches.

Sure looks that way right now. And it's certainly a 180 from the past practice of going w/veteran free agents.
-------
With Gaines gone for the year how important is Joyner to this defense? And how good of a camp is he having.

Joyner is very important. Because with Gaines gone, there's no doubt about it, Joyner is the third corner. Joyner was active against the Titans. He missed one tackle failing to wrap up after contact. And he allowed a first down on a pass on a play where Dorial Green-Beckam went in motion.

Joyner followed him, but got caught peeking into the backfield looking for the run, and the result was an easy pitch-and-catch for a first down by Tennessee. But Joyner also made some plays in run support _ despite his lack of size, he's not shy about contact. And also had a nice pass breakup. He seems to have better awareness this year.
--------
I like the quote from Fisher saying "you ask the same thing every year" regarding where is the offense every year in pre season. And yet, for the last however many years the offense has NEVER come around. How can he even make that comment like reporters are stupid for asking?

He was just teasing. We took no offense. Yeah we asked that question last year and the Rams went out and put up 6 points in their opener against Minnesota. Of course, that was a day where Shaun Hill was injured and out at halftime and the found themselves down to their then third-stringer in Austin Davis. The Rams managed only 19 points the following week in Tampa, but then had very productive days vs. Philly and Dallas, albeit in losses.
-------
Based on practices and the first two games, are any players emerging as potential "surprise" cuts?

There's always one or two every year. Don't know if I could give you one at this point. I think Givens is safe at No. 5 WR, and based on the way he's playing this preseason maybe he gets more playing time. I think Isaiah Pead might be safe only because Gurley probably doesn't play early in the year and Watts will be suspended for four games. There are a lot of bodies at safety, Maybe Cody Davis is on the bubble at there. And at backup QB, it certainly looks like Keenum will get the nod over Austin Davis.
-------
Please rate the Center play against the Titans.

I've only re-watched the first half. (And that was on a TV copy, not game film.) But I thought Demetrius Rhaney had a tough go. He got rocked back into the backfield on several occasions, and that helped blow up a couple of running plays. I know on one occasion, he missed a loop pickup in pass protection, and that led to a throwaway I believe. The Rams are high on Rhaney; they like his quickness off the ball and his athleticism. But he needs to work on his upper body strength, and that showed against the Titans starters.
--------
Jim, any word on a contract extension for Jenkins? He's ok but takes too many stupid gambles and he cannot tackle at all. I think I'd wait and see how the season goes..

Nothing new that I'm aware of. He looked pretty solid from what I could tell against the Titans, but he didn't get much action his way.
--------
Should fans be concerned with more sloppy play in the preseason ?

In a word: Yes.
-------
I've followed Malcolm Brown since high School in San Antonio. I think if he gets a shot he will shine. How has he looked in practice, and do you think he has a shot at making this "Back Heavy" team???

He's looked pretty good on the practice field as well. I just can't see the numbers working for him to make the active roster. But he's got two more games to state his case.
-------
I know it's pre-season, but can we just chalk the last outing up to "staying vanilla" and whatever else or are we going to really struggle on offense?

Even if it's vanilla, you need more than 40 yards in four series with your first-team offense as was the case vs. Tennessee. If it were up to me, I'd play those young linemen a little more in the preseason.
------
I only watched the first half of the Titans game. Seemed like Trumaine Johnson was lost on a couple of big plays. Not even near covering his man on one pass. What did you see of his play?

As Fisher mentioned Monday, he got caught once peeking into the backfield on play-action, which led to a big play by Tennessee. On another, he was playing off-coverage and got beat to the inside by a smaller quicker receiver. (I think it was Wright.) When you're almost safety-size like Johnson is, you can have trouble with smaller quicker receivers. I think Johnson would be better-served playing more press coverage.
-------
I thought A. Donald had a solid game against Tennessee, any other positives you took from the game?

Yeah, thought Greg Robinson was good in pass pro. Jamon Brown was solid. Quinn had some nice moments in run defense. As, I mentioned earlier, Joyner was active.
-------
I can't say I was all that impressed with Westbrooks inside. His versatility certainly has value for a backup, but he clearly wasn't starter material.

I thought he was OK; better than OK. DT is a new position for him.
-------
So, why hasn't Tavon Austin been an impact player? Is he a poor route-runner? Does he lack elusiveness? Or is it poor offensive game-planning and an OC that doesn't know who to use him?

I thought Schottenheimer was the problem, and all of Austin's problems would be over once the Rams got rid of him.
-------
"Speedbump" Washington can't cut it at left guard.Tell me the rams have a backup backup plan for Saffold's #2. Jones maybe or Wichmann?

It wasn't as dramatic as the back-to-back sacks against Oakland, but he had some more rough moments vs. Tennessee. I wonder if one of the runners-up in the center competition could play there. (Barnes or Jones, specifically.) And I wonder if Reynolds can play left guard.
--------
I know there is a lot of angst about the offense vs. the Titans but the defense was just as bad, a lot of arm tackling attempts, poor angles, not much pocket penetration, and I'm talking about the 1's. I understand schemes are vanilla in preseason but these were football fundamentals we couldn't execute. Is that on the coaching or players?

I wouldn't say bad. Just so-so. Tackling could be better. A couple of coverage breakdowns. I think they'll get it squared away.
------
Don't you think Fisher is a little cavalier in his attitude about the offense? He seems unconcerned and the Ram's offense has never been good while he has been head coach.

That's his style.
-------
The way this offense is built, we should see production from the tight ends. Is there hope that we will see more consistency? Or will we see one great game, then two games that we don't hear their names called?

The Rams actually have been one of the league's more productive teams at tight end with Rob Boras. For example, the Rams finished fourth in the league in receptions by the tight end position (97) and sixth in receiving yards by the tight end position (1,047) in 2013. And without a true No. 1 receiver at either TE or WR, I think you're more likely to see variations from game to game in terms of the leading receiver.
-------
Your best and worst from Sunday's game?

Best? Trey Watts. He appears to have vision and instincts in the running game that are better than some backs higher on the depth chart. Worst? Would like to see better run-blocking by the starters.
-------
Not sure I am seeing the same thing as Fisher is these days. He downplays the performances in the preseason games and keeps returning to how great the team scrimmages were with the Cowboys? Convince me we won't have another slow start this year through the first 6 weeks.

At this point, I can't convince you.
-------
When players tear their ACL/MCL just from planting and no contact was involved, is that just a freak occurrence or does it say something about the playing surface or even the shoes?

Yeah, I guess sometimes it's the surface. I think sometimes it may be wear and tear on a back. And sometimes it's just large, strong players putting a great amount of stress on ligaments.
--------
The Rams' O-line woes were predictable, and folks like me grumbled for years that all the Sam Bradfords, Tavon Austins and Todd Gurleys were useless if opposing defenses can live in your backfield. I need your guidance, JT -- since Snisher won't be held accountable ... and you can't blame the skill players if there's no time for plays to develop ... where is the proper direction for our angst?

Well, as much as the Rams would like to get off to a quick start this season, it's becoming increasingly difficult to see that happening on offense this season. The team should be fresher and do at least some degree of game-planning for Indy, so I'm anticipating a better showing Saturday. Come on out, good seats are available. At the moment, it looks more apparent than ever that the defense will have to carry the load in the early season.
--------
How is there a competition for the #2 quarterback if Davis only gets one series with the third team. Do they fell they know Davis enough and want to see more of Keenam?

Sure looks like it's Keenum's job.
--------
What is most concerning to me is the 'vaunted' D-line has been manhandled by the other 1's, I expect that from the O-line (and unfortunately they have not let me down). I know there will be growing pains with the O-line, but is there a light at the end of the tunnel? Do you see anything in Brown that makes Fisher keep saying he will be a Pro Bowler?

Brown looks pretty good to me, so far. I wouldn't say the D-line has been manhandled. But they did have a problem with gap control at times against the Titans.
-------
I know it's preseason, but Foles sure isn't impressing, backups look better. Maybe the Rams jumped to quick extending, agree?

True, he has been less than dazzling since those first two throws against Oakland. But we're talking about just 12 passes total.
--------
I saw the Oak game in person and watched every snap of the Tenn game and we look bad on both sides of the ball. We look flat, unmotivated and sloppy. I think it is time for JF to move along..

If the same thing takes place in September and October, I think you have a point.
--------
Do you think Austin Davis will make the cut?

Have a hard time seeing it happen.
--------
Do you ever get the sense Fisher and Snead are playing for 2016?

The only thing that might make me think that is drafting Gurley.
---------
Think Fisher will give Garrett Reynolds a shot at RT? Seems like he moves well and is strong. Havenstein needs time, by no fault of his own. What's the depth at LT looking like behind Robinson?

I think Havenstein has been OK at RT. Don't see the need to make the switch at this point. But Reynolds has some experience at OT. I think if something happens to Robinson, we'd probably see Saffold at LT. If Saffold is unavailable, well. . . . .
-------
What is your prediction onthe attendance for the Seattle game?

-------
Is D. Alexander still in the nfl? In a slightly related note, what exactly is Sasser doing for the Rams?

I do not believe Danario is in the league at this point. Sasser I think will be working in the team's community outreach dept., football camps, youth events among other things.
-------
If you weren't the beat writer for the Rams, or were a beat writer for another team (e.g., 49ers), what would your opinion be of the job that Fish has done in STL?

Well, my opinion would be the same in either spot. He has done a commendable job getting the team out of that 15-65 mess from 2007-2011, but can't seem to get the Rams over the hump.
-------
Over the course of your career, have you had the opportunity to meet or interview all of the NFL owners? Who is the most personable?

Of course. Although the interviews have been brief ones. Lots of respect for the Rooney family. Would love to get to know Shahid Khan better _ he seems to have a lot of personality. Jerry Jones would be great copy _ he's always got something to say. Robert Kraft is pretty personable.
--------
Hey Jim it was cool meeting you at the scrimmage last week. Thanks for introducing Demarco to me. Both of you were great. I'm very concerned about the lack of self control the Rams showed at the scrimmage and in the bad penalties they've shown under Fish. You would think a good coach would have that controlled by now. Has he lost respect of the team?

It was great talking to you as well. The LA Rams fans were great. I've always said the fans are just innocent bystanders in all this relocation stuff. For those wondering where CUTMAN gets his online name _ he's a barber in Southern California. I certainly don't think Fisher has lost the respect of the team. His teams have always played with an edge. So in a sense, the fights were almost predictable.
-------
On a scale of 1-10 with 1 being worse case scenario how would you rate the OL so far and what did you expect prior to the preseason? Team over all?

O-line play so far _ 4. Expected maybe a 5.5. Team overall _ 3. Expected 6.5 to 7.
--------
when will the NFL realize they need to shorten the pre-season down to two games. The coaches know who the top 46-47 players are going to make their roster, it's only the last 5or 6 spots that are up for grabs, sometimes not that many. Too many top line players get hurt playing meaningless games.

Because they don't want to lose the money by losing 1/10th of the home gate.
-------
Going back to last season Zeurline doesn't look too good. Any concerns?

He made 80 percent of his FGs last season. I think that's a pretty acceptable percentage, even by today's standards.
--------
Could Cody Wichmann provide a spark at LG, if Roger goes down again?

He missed a lot of the OTAs as well. I think he's too far behind to have any kind of impact this season.
--------
the offense aside, the thing that bothers me most about this team in missed tackles. There's several every game year in and year out. Any ideas why?

With so little contact on the practice field in training camp and the regular season, tackling has become a lost art throughout the league. But there do seem to be more missed tackles by the Rams this preseason, than other teams.
--------
What is your realistic prediction for Todd Gurley's rookie season? It seems like if he is healthy that he has the talent to carry an offense even with our inexperienced/weak offensive line. Do you see Fisher limiting him throughout the course of the year in order to preserve his health?

This is tough to predict, but I think it might be midseason before we see Gurley taking anything resembling a full workload. After seeing what happened with Jake Long and Sam Bradford suffering additional ACL injuries, why wouldn't the Rams be cautious with Gurley?
--------
Mannion has looked decent in preseason thus far. He seems to have good size and arm strength. Do you see us keeping him on the roster as the third QB? I'm sure someone would take a waiver claim on him so I doubt we could get him on the practice squad.

Going into camp, I thought the only thing that might get Mannion cut is if he was disastrous on the field. He's actually been pretty decent. A third-round pick is valuable real estate. It's usually someone who you draft because you think they have starter's potential. Plus, in Mannion's case, you're talking about throwing away a $625,000 signing bonus if you cut the guy. I think there's no way you could smuggle this guy onto the practice squad. I think the Rams keep 3 QBs this year.
-------
How connect to reality is Fisher? Could winning almost as many games as he loses over his career caused him to earn so much money he is no longer rooted in the present?

I think he's very connected to reality.
--------
Do you think it should be an eye opener to see how badly Fisher's Rams are against the Titans he was fired from. We've taken on a bunch of Fisher's ex-Titans cast offs which goes to show he's unwilling or unable to see when change is needed in personal.

When all is said and done, the Rams will have three players on his team who were there with him in Tennessee: Britt, Cook, and Hayes. That's not a lot.
--------
How much game film do you review? Do you review opponents' game film to prep for the Rams game or do you focus on the Rams?

I'm not able to do it every week. But most weeks I review Rams game film from the game they just played. I like to watch the TV copy of opponents, but just from their previous game.
----------
Thanks for confirming what I thought I saw of Rhaney. Next question -- how would you say Washington did? Does he have a chance of sticking, or will it end up being Reynolds and the kids?

I have Washington on the bubble at his point.
--------
Does Foles have 55% of Bradford's arm strength? Looks like he struggles to make throws over 25 yards.

I don't think Foles has Bradford's arm strength, but I think he has more than 55 percent of it.
-------
Please comment on WR potential this year. We will really need someone to step up this year

I think they can be a good group. Need Quick to pick up where he left off last year. And Tavon Austin to be more integrated in the offense. Would like to see Bailey get more chances early, even if it's as the fourth WR.
--------
Will the Rams be the youngest team again this year? I know they gained about a year average on defense but looks like the offense replacements are offsetting that.

They'll certainly be among the youngest. They have only three players that are 30 years or older: Chris Long, Will Hayes and Jo-Lonn Dunbar. (And all three are exactly 30.)

WestCoastRam

Legend
I can tell if JT was being sarcastic or not in reference to the Tavon question. If he's serious, that's a pretty big indictment of Schotty.