Rams “taking the pain” in 2020?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
The release of TG today reminded me of some strong words Les Snead said recently. Here’s a few key quotes from Snead from an article back on March 5:

“Sound decision is, at some point you’re going to have to determine what year do you take the pain.”

“I know today, we’re all going to get emotional and go, ‘Oh, no no no, just worry about ’20.’ But when ’20 is gone and it’s over and we’re never getting 2020 back again, then we do know that 2021 will become a priority. And at that point, you’re like, ‘Well, what do you mean? Why’d you do that? That was not the wise, sound thing to do.”

In some ways, I think the Rams are doing the opposite of what they did in 2018. In the 2018 offseason, they went ALL IN and pulled out all the stops to secure a SB run. Extensions for Gurley, Hav, and AD... acquiring Peters, Talib, Cooks, Suh, and later Fowler... holy crap, the Rams went crazy on an all-in gamble. The critics said, “the Rams will have to pay the bill, their SB window will only be open for 2 short years in 2018 and 2019.” And we homers thought the critics were full of shit.

Well, maybe the critics were right. The bill has come due, and it sure seems hard to imagine the Rams will have enough firepower to make a run in 2020.

Now, in 2020, it seems like the Rams’ focus is on the future, not the present. Let the big $ guys walk... goodbye to Littleton and Fowler, not to mention Brockers, Matthews, NRC, and GZ. Gurley? Take an even BIGGER cap hit in 2020 in order to free up $ in 21 and 22. Goff restructure— to free up $ now in exchange for less $ in future? Nope, doesn’t look that way.

From my vantage point, sure looks like the Rams FO has made a strategic decision to “take the pain” in 2020 in exchange for greater cap room in the future.

Hoping as always for a great season... but hoping even more that the long-range plan will allow for even greater success down the road.

Here’s the full article from March 5:

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
Ouch! Well researched, I wish it wasn’t true but I already felt this way and you just gave evidence to back it up... only 16 months until the Rams are competitive I suppose. Sigh.....screw 2020 anyway

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
The release of TG today reminded me of some strong words Les Snead said recently. Here’s a few key quotes from Snead from an article back on March 5:

“Sound decision is, at some point you’re going to have to determine what year do you take the pain.”

“I know today, we’re all going to get emotional and go, ‘Oh, no no no, just worry about ’20.’ But when ’20 is gone and it’s over and we’re never getting 2020 back again, then we do know that 2021 will become a priority. And at that point, you’re like, ‘Well, what do you mean? Why’d you do that? That was not the wise, sound thing to do.”

In some ways, I think the Rams are doing the opposite of what they did in 2018. In the 2018 offseason, they went ALL IN and pulled out all the stops to secure a SB run. Extensions for Gurley, Hav, and AD... acquiring Peters, Talib, Cooks, Suh, and later Fowler... holy crap, the Rams went crazy on an all-in gamble. The critics said, “the Rams will have to pay the bill, their SB window will only be open for 2 short years in 2018 and 2019.” And we homers thought the critics were full of shit.

Well, maybe the critics were right. The bill has come due, and it sure seems hard to imagine the Rams will have enough firepower to make a run in 2020.

Now, in 2020, it seems like the Rams’ focus is on the future, not the present. Let the big $ guys walk... goodbye to Littleton and Fowler, not to mention Brockers, Matthews, NRC, and GZ. Gurley? Take an even BIGGER cap hit in 2020 in order to free up $ in 21 and 22. Goff restructure— to free up $ now in exchange for less $ in future? Nope, doesn’t look that way.

From my vantage point, sure looks like the Rams FO has made a strategic decision to “take the pain” in 2020 in exchange for greater cap room in the future.

Hoping as always for a great season... but hoping even more that the long-range plan will allow for even greater success down the road.

I think that is valid, and has been discussed in real time here, and in the media. We went for it.

We also tried to re-sign, and keep our star players, because we were there. If we didn’t give, Donald, Gurley, Goff the contracts, would they have been with the team today?

We can all second guess, but reality is, that we can’t sign everybody, we can’t keep everybody, NFL has a cap, and it comes with hard choices. Players want their money, and teams want their players, these two don’t always mesh.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Ouch! Well researched, I wish it wasn’t true but I already felt this way and you just gave evidence to back it up... only 16 months until the Rams are competitive I suppose. Sigh.....screw 2020 anyway

The Rams will be a Freaking solid Team!!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think that is valid, and has been discussed in real time here, and in the media. We went for it.

We also tried to re-sign, and keep our star players, because we were there. If we didn’t give, Donald, Gurley, Goff the contracts, would they have been with the team today?

We can all second guess, but reality is, that we can’t sign everybody, we can’t keep everybody, NFL has a cap, and it comes with hard choices. Players want their money, and teams want their players, these two don’t always mesh.

Gurley was the Wrong choice. It was well Documented at the time the Steelers have been fighting BELL for years. He sat out & the Jets signed him to a Gurley Contract.
—I Never Liked Les Sneads approach to
The RB position as to there is Only One Ball
never made sense to me. I’m about having a stable of young backs.

—The Rams (McSnead) needs to move up in the draft to select Johnathon Taylor.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I’d prefer a late round guy, like Javon Leake, boom potential but unknown. Someone with KR option, maybe.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

There was no thing they could do to catch the Niners. So they did what's best and plan for next year. Haley will get a better feel for his defensive personnel, and another Free agency period and two drafts will help put the team back in contention.

Any fix they tried would have lead to them coming up short. In two years the Niners will have some cap decisions to make, and hopefully the Rams will have some young talent to make them more competitive.

I just hope Snead doesn't go trade happy in the draft and end up with 8 sixth round picks. This team now needs to add real talent at some key positions. Drafting players based on Sparq scores won't get it done.

Last edited:

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You actually might be right. But it feels like Snead should be uncomfortable making this move. 2 playoff seasons in 9 years is rough. Not sure how a guy with that resume can confidently say "I just need a little more time" lol.

AlphaRam

Rookie
This is the season to do it. The new stadiums going to sell out regardless because everyone wants to see it. Take your lumps and go from there.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

hmmm

are we talking dildo up your arse pain or sexy woman biting your nipples pain?

i can definitely go for the latter.

fearsomefour

Legend
It’s hardly been great so far.

fearsomefour

Legend
You actually might be right. But it feels like Snead should be uncomfortable making this move. 2 playoff seasons in 9 years is rough. Not sure how a guy with that resume can confidently say "I just need a little more time" lol.

He has an owner on the same page.

fearsomefour

Legend
So be competitive with a young roster and build up for another run.
Not a complete rebuild.
A re tool as they say.
New DC and coaches. Makes sense.
But, the young guy have to come through.
Not a ton of evidence they are ready to.
But, that’s why they play the games.
This year is going to be interesting.
A lot of new faces and a very, very young roster.
I always hate to see good Ram players, especially home grown ones, leave. Bums me out.
The very real prospect of a losing season sucks. But, it will be interesting for sure.
And the team could well surprise.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The critics said, “the Rams will have to pay the bill, their SB window will only be open for 2 short years in 2018 and 2019.” And we homers thought the critics were full of shit.

If Gurley did not sustain that injury... we would have won that super bowl, and we would STILL be a contender. JMHO, of course.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
News flash...Rams aren't going to be in the SB this season. Perfect time to clear cap space and look forward to 2021 and beyond.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
Gurley was the Wrong choice. It was well Documented at the time the Steelers have been fighting BELL for years. He sat out & the Jets signed him to a Gurley Contract.
—I Never Liked Les Sneads approach to
The RB position as to there is Only One Ball
never made sense to me. I’m about having a stable of young backs.

—The Rams (McSnead) needs to move up in the draft to select Johnathon Taylor.
? You criticize Snead for extending Gurley because Lev Bell was holding out on the Steelers, and you want a “stable of young backs” but then you want the Rams to move up in the draft to pick a special one ?

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Les has been good at drafting - not quite as good as choosing who and when to ink long term - still, I have no complaints, I’ve been a fan for too long and have too good of a memory to complain about where this team is right now.

If we take an off year, so be it. Extend Ramsey and Kupp and draft well - I’m good.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
? You criticize Snead for extending Gurley because Lev Bell was holding out on the Steelers, and you want a “stable of young backs” but then you want the Rams to move up in the draft to pick a special one ?

Yes- The Rams have Henderson,M.Brown on last year of his contract.Then Kelly ?
- How much will a Rookie stud RB cost for 5 seasons? Keep a stable of backs. When there’s value you draft a RB.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ok, you bastids....
T7g3eNi.gif

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
BTW...

Even if the assessment is correct that the Rams are choosing to “take the pain” in 2020, the homer in me still thinks they have a solid playoff chance and (cough, maybe) a chance at a SB run.

Like that “Moneyball” movie... sometimes smart teams can be successful with limited funds.

Rams still have a great core on offense, plenty of star power on D, a new innovative D Coordinator, and a reinvigorated wunderkind in McVay.

Go Rams! Homers rule!:D