Rams take full advantage of Todd Gurley in impressive win over Dallas Cowboys

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams take full advantage of Todd Gurley in impressive win over Dallas Cowboys

rams_cowboys_football_24617683-1.jpg

Los Angeles Rams running back Todd Gurley (30) sprints to the end zone past Dallas Cowboys cornerback Anthony Brown, right, for a touchdown in the second half of an NFL football game, Sunday, Oct. 1, 2017, in Arlington, Texas. (AP Photo/Michael Ainsworth)

By RICH HAMMOND | rhammond@scng.com | Orange County Register

ARLINGTON, Texas — “Middle-school offense.” Todd Gurley didn’t mince words, and good for him.

A year ago, the Rams were lost. They ran the ball like a team clad in cement shoes. Touchdowns drives were as infrequent as traffic-free jaunts on the 405. Frustration mounted, and finally Gurley let loose after a game and opined that a group of teenagers could organize an offense equal to the Rams’ attack.

Turns out, the offense just needed Coach Sean McVay, who might pass for a high school senior if he shaved.

Gurley, sullen and criticized last year, now arguably is the NFL’s top all-purpose threat, and is the main reason why the Rams are the league’s surprise team. After a bumpy first half, the Rams responded with brilliance Sunday afternoon and rallied for a 35-30 victory over the Dallas Cowboys at AT&T Stadium.

“When you’re winning, I’m telling you, it makes everything so much better,” Gurley said with a big grin.

What a turnaround. Gurley led the Rams in rushing (121 yards on 23 carries) and receiving (94 yards and one touchdown on seven catches) Sunday and accounted for more than half of the Rams’ 412 yards. His turnaround is the main reason why the Rams have a 3-1 record and flying higher than anyone expected.

This isn’t perfection. The Rams looked dreadful on defense in the first half, when they allowed 24 points and 287 yards and trailed by 11 points. These lengthy lapses have been too frequent for the Rams this season, and success won’t be sustainable if they continue.

But not only did the Rams clean up things on defense in the second half, when they allowed six points and 153 yards, but the Rams also now have an offense potent enough to survive defensive hiccups. That’s why this year’s 3-1 record feels much different than last year, when the Rams finished 1-11.

The Rams had great balance on offense against the Cowboys, as quarterback Jared Goff had a steady day (21 of 36, 255 yards, two touchdowns, zero interceptions) and they ran for 168 yards.

The Rams nursed a small lead for most of the fourth quarter and held the ball for more than 10 minutes. The Cowboys regained momentum in the middle of the quarter, when they pulled within 32-30 but failed to convert on a game-tying two-point conversion attempt.

In need of first downs, with 7:08 left, the Rams turned to Gurley. He carried the ball seven times and caught one pass as the Rams bled more than five minutes off the clock and took a 35-30 lead on kicker Greg Zuerlein’s seventh field goal of the game.

The defense made one final stop to secure the victory and the Rams jumped around on the sideline like, well, a bunch of excited middle-schoolers.

“The biggest thing for us,” offensive lineman Rodger Saffold said, “is whenever we’ve seen some adversity, we’ve been able to stay calm, stay focused and continue to play our game.”

It’s amazing how a successful running game can calm nerves. A year ago, the Rams seemed to have no idea what to do with Gurley. They ran him up the middle, into a wall of defenders, and when that didn’t work, they just tried it again and again. Gurley averaged 3.2 yards per rushing attempt.

McVay, also the Rams’ play-caller, has made things look different. He sends receivers in motion to pull attention from Gurley, and McVay had the wild idea of actually throwing the ball to Gurley.

The Rams’ run blocking has improved, and Gurley looks more motivated, perhaps in part because he has coaches who are putting him in positions to succeed. With 362 rushing yards and 234 receiving yards through four games, he’s almost halfway his 2016 all-purpose total of 1,212.

Gurley also has become only the third running back in NFL history to total at least 575 yards from scrimmage and at least seven touchdowns in his team’s first four games. The others? Jim Brown and Emmitt Smith.

A year ago, Gurley looked broken. McVay’s offense, and some offensive upgrades, provided the fix.

“I don’t think it’s necessarily if you can ‘fix’ him,” McVay said. “I mean, this guy is a great player. … Just because last year, from a numbers standpoint, maybe it wasn’t what we would have liked, that doesn’t take away from some of the things he did on tape, when you really study it. These are things that we expect from Todd, and I know he expects of himself.”

[www.ocregister.com]

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Same schmuck writer predicted a Rams loss vs Dallas....meh about his thoughts.

fearsomefour

Legend
A loss at Dallas made sense.
As long as he is writing about valid things in a valid way and not being Peter King-ish about things, I will read them.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Show me a writer who thought differently? In fact, Fox yesterday everyone had Dallas over Los Angeles as their lock, so again I could care less about the pundits, they are always the last one's to arrive at the party.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A loss at Dallas made sense.
As long as he is writing about valid things in a valid way and not being Peter King-ish about things, I will read them.
It's point of view...I'm tired of the whole the Rams suck and the other team screwed up narrative when the Rams win..not by anything the Rams did to win. How about the Rams are really good, but may have a rough time in Dallas..vs...The Rams still suck and probably don't have a chance in Dallas

His point of view is odious to me...

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Show me a writer who thought differently? In fact, Fox yesterday everyone had Dallas over Los Angeles as their lock, so again I could care less about the pundits, they are always the last one's to arrive at the party.
I don't have to like any of those a-holes

fearsomefour

Legend
It's point of view...I'm tired of the whole the Rams suck and the other team screwed up when the Rams win..not by anything the Rams did to win. How about the Rams are really good, but may have a rough time in Dallas..vs...The Rams still suck and probably don't have a chance in Dallas

His point of view is odious to me...
I gotcha.
NFL Network was giving a lot of love to the Rams....still showed more Cowboy highlights of course and threw tons of compliments at Dak.
It will be this way for a while if the Rams keep winning.
Then, the haters including the Goff bashers, will jump on never acknowledging what they were saying before.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't have to like any of those a-holes

Didn't say you had to like them, but soon they will be writing how innovative Sean McVay is and that at only 22 years old, Jared Goff is cooler than the other side of the pillow and than you might not love them, but you will shake your head in agreement and your faith in sports journalism will be restored!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The Fox network wasn't the only one! Everyone at NFLN, except for Marshall Faulk, felt the same way! And that includes Kurt Warner, X Ariz. Cards QB!!
I don't know how the Picks at ESPN and CBS went! But I would bet the same as at FOX and NFLN!