Rams stuff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
It's the postseason and the Rams aren't there. So Jonesing for Rams football, I began watching some of this years games. It's morphed into watching games from years past (I have many, many on DVD :biggrin: ..yeah I'm old). Watched the 2000 Wild Card game in New Orleans. Marshall ran the ball and they put up a stat....."Marshall Faulk. In 30 games with the Rams he's averaged 151.8 yards from scrimmage". WHAT???? That is incredible!!! TGSOT!!! Warner probably had more weapons than any QB in history. I'd match Marshall, Ike, Hakim, Holt and Proehl against any team. Ever.

Some things I didn't remember about that game. Early in the game Warner threw into double coverage (Hakim) in the end zone and the ball popped up in the air. Ike, always alert, dove, got his hands under it but hit the defender and lost it. Later on the drive Warner hit Ike for 6. Marshall, who had knee surgery two months earlier, had a 51 yard run that was called back because Ro Williams was holding. He finished with 14 carries for 24 yards but with that one, it would have been 15 for 75 (5.0). Normal Marshall. Down 31-13 in the 4th, with 6:52 left, Hakim returns a punt 65 yards to the Saints 9 but Warner gets picked on the first play. After scoring to make it 31-20, Money executes a perfect onside and Bly recovers but the Rams were off side on the kick. So Money does it again and Bly recovers again. I don't think I've ever seen 2 successful onside kicks on 2 consecutive plays!! I also forgot the pass from Brooks on 3rd and 14 to a wide open Wilson but he never had full possession. Then the muffed punt. What a freaking game!

I was also looking at some other numbers on PFR. The Rams have played 53 postseason games (#6 all time). 26-27 record. So McVay needs to take the lead on Rams PS games coached and get us over .500 next year!!!
McVay (7*-3) and John Robinson (4-6) are tied with 10, followed by Knox (8; 3-5), Martz (7; 3-4) Malavasi (6; 3-3), Vermeil (3; 3*-0), Stydahar (3; 2*-1), Allen (2; 0-2), Walsh (1*-0), Shaunessy (0-1), Pool (0-1) and Gillman (0-1).

The most points scored by the Rams is 49 vs Minnesota in 99, 47 vs Green Bay in 2001 (picked off Favre 6 times), 35 vs St. Louis in 75, 34 vs Minnesota in 78 and 34 vs Arizona in 2021.
The most yards gained is 455 (vs Dallas 2018), 448 (@NYG in 89), 440 (vs StL in 75), 436 (vs Tenn SB34) and 428 (@Tampa in 2021).
The most points allowed is 51 (Washington '83), 47 (Atlanta 2004), 38 (Cleveland '55), 37 (vs Dallas '75; vs Minn '99). McVay's Rams have allowed 30 once (Green Bay, 2020).

But because we've only won 2 Superbowls (and didn't cheat the cap like Carmen Policy or the rules like Belichick), we're not talked about as one of the great NFL franchises. Yet we are. Now it's on to the 2003 double OT game vs Carolina.

Last edited:

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The highest score I remember is 54 vs the chiefs in 2018. I think that was the highest score ever.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The highest score I remember is 54 vs the chiefs in 2018. I think that was the highest score ever.
Definitely in quite some time. I was citing postseason games. The Rams record for scoring in a regular season game is 70, beating the Colts by 43 in 1950. They also scored 65 beating Detroit by 41 the same year. 54 vs the Chiefs is the most in a long time but Fisher's boys beat Oakland 52-0 in 2014, which may be their largest margin of victory. Go figure!!

Last edited:

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Here's the high scores by year since TGSOT

99: 43 vs N.Orleans

00: 57 vs S.Diego
01: 48 vs Carolina
02: 37 vs Seattle
03: 48 vs Minnesota
04: 33 @ Seattle (OT)
05: 33 @ Houston (OT)

06: 41 vs Detroit, 41 @ Minnesota
07: 37 @ N.Orleans
08: 34 vs Dallas

09: 23 vs N.Orleans
10: 36 @ Denver
11: 31 vs N.Orleans

12: 31 vs Washington, vs Arizona
13: 42 vs Chicago
14: 52 vs Oakland
15: 31 vs Tampa
16: 37 @ Tampa

17: 51 @ NYG
18: 54 vs KC
19: 40 vs Tampa
20: 38 vs Arizona
21: 38 vs Houston, NYG
22: 51 vs Denver

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
Definitely in quite some time. I was citing postseason games. The Rams record for scoring in a regular season game is 70, beating the Colts by 43 in 1950. They also scored 65 beating Detroit by 41 the same year. 54 vs the Chiefs is the most in a long time but Fisher's boys beat Oakland 52-0 in 2014, which may be their largest margin of victory. Go figure!!
A career's worth of scoring for Fisher in that Raider game.

Tano

Legend
Here's the high scores by year since TGSOT

99: 43 vs N.Orleans

00: 57 vs S.Diego
01: 48 vs Carolina
02: 37 vs Seattle
03: 48 vs Minnesota
04: 33 @ Seattle (OT)
05: 33 @ Houston (OT)

06: 41 vs Detroit, 41 @ Minnesota
07: 37 @ N.Orleans
08: 34 vs Dallas

09: 23 vs N.Orleans
10: 36 @ Denver
11: 31 vs N.Orleans

12: 31 vs Washington, vs Arizona
13: 42 vs Chicago
14: 52 vs Oakland
15: 31 vs Tampa
16: 37 @ Tampa

17: 51 @ NYG
18: 54 vs KC
19: 40 vs Tampa
20: 38 vs Arizona
21: 38 vs Houston, NYG
22: 51 vs Denver
2009 was an extremely bad year

PARAM

Hall of Fame
A career's worth of scoring for Fisher in that Raider game.
You bet!!!

Ain't it amazing McVay got them to 50 three times? Martz and Fisher once each.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
2009 was an extremely bad year
2009 - 2011 we didn't break 40!! And only once from 2004-2012.

Then Fisher's boys put up 52 on Oakland in a shutout. Then shutout Washington the following week and we thought we were on our way!!! Ironically, that was Aaron Donald's rookie year, so I guess we were on our way....just not as soon as we thought!

13 sacks in those 2 games.

Quinn 4.5
AD 2.0
Hayes 2.0
Laurinaitis 1.5
Sims 1.0
Barron 1.0
Long 1.0

AD was already outshining Long by that time.

Last edited:

Rams8821

Pro Bowler
It's the postseason and the Rams aren't there. So Jonesing for Rams football, I began watching some of this years games. It's morphed into watching games from years past (I have many, many on DVD :biggrin: ..yeah I'm old). Watched the 2000 Wild Card game in New Orleans. Marshall ran the ball and they put up a stat....."Marshall Faulk. In 30 games with the Rams he's averaged 151.8 yards from scrimmage". WHAT???? That is incredible!!! TGSOT!!! Warner probably had more weapons than any QB in history. I'd match Marshall, Ike, Hakim, Holt and Proehl against any team. Ever.

Some things I didn't remember about that game. Early in the game Warner threw into double coverage (Hakim) in the end zone and the ball popped up in the air. Ike, always alert, dove, got his hands under it but hit the defender and lost it. Later on the drive Warner hit Ike for 6. Marshall, who had knee surgery two months earlier, had a 51 yard run that was called back because Ro Williams was holding. He finished with 14 carries for 24 yards but with that one, it would have been 15 for 75 (5.0). Normal Marshall. Down 31-13 in the 4th, with 6:52 left, Hakim returns a punt 65 yards to the Saints 9 but Warner gets picked on the first play. After scoring to make it 31-20, Money executes a perfect onside and Bly recovers but the Rams were off side on the kick. So Money does it again and Bly recovers again. I don't think I've ever seen 2 successful onside kicks on 2 consecutive plays!! I also forgot the pass from Brooks on 3rd and 14 to a wide open Wilson but he never had full possession. Then the muffed punt. What a freaking game!

I was also looking at some other numbers on PFR. The Rams have played 53 postseason games (#6 all time). 26-27 record. So McVay needs to take the lead on Rams PS games coached and get us over .500 next year!!!
McVay (7*-3) and John Robinson (4-6) are tied with 10, followed by Knox (8; 3-5), Martz (7; 3-4) Malavasi (6; 3-3), Vermeil (3; 3*-0), Stydahar (3; 2*-1), Allen (2; 0-2), Walsh (1*-0), Shaunessy (0-1), Pool (0-1) and Gillman (0-1).

The most points scored by the Rams is 49 vs Minnesota in 99, 47 vs Green Bay in 2001 (picked off Favre 6 times), 35 vs St. Louis in 75, 34 vs Minnesota in 78 and 34 vs Arizona in 2021.
The most yards gained is 455 (vs Dallas 2018), 448 (@NYG in 89), 440 (vs StL in 75), 436 (vs Tenn SB34) and 428 (@Tampa in 2021).
The most points allowed is 51 (Washington '83), 47 (Atlanta 2004), 38 (Cleveland '55), 37 (vs Dallas '75; vs Minn '99). McVay's Rams have allowed 30 once (Green Bay, 2020).

But because we've only won 2 Superbowls (and didn't cheat the cap like Carmen Policy or the rules like Belichick), we're not talked about as one of the great NFL franchises. Yet we are. Now it's on to the 2003 double OT game vs Carolina.
That 03 double OT game vs Carolina Hurt....we got really conservative and didn't go for the win in regulation.

I really feel if we won that game we we were going back to the SB. I beleive we would have went to Philly and beat them.

That game still stings for me. Yeah I was at the one in the nosebleeds in the dome.....amazing we came back, but what could have been.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
That 03 double OT game vs Carolina Hurt....we got really conservative and didn't go for the win in regulation.

I really feel if we won that game we we were going back to the SB. I beleive we would have went to Philly and beat them.

That game still stings for me. Yeah I was at the one in the nosebleeds in the dome.....amazing we came back, but what could have been.
Yeah, I just finished that one. I blame that on Martz. 35 seconds left, 1st down, ball on the 15. Hurry up and spike it and you got at least 2, maybe 3 shots at the end zone. So many other things in that game though.

By being conservative, Martz wasted a great effort by Money. Just like in the Saints game when we saw something we never saw before as Money had two successful onside kicks in 5 seconds (because of an offsides penalty on the first). In this game, after the TD and 2 pt conversion, Money goes onside again and the ball bounces around until he jumps and grabs it. I've seen kickers tap it forward and fall on it but never fight for it.

In OT, Carolina is set up for a 40 yard GW FG and they make it......but there was delay of game......Martz calls a timeout prior to the second try. Fox sends his offense back on the field and they gain 1 yard, then -1 yard and go for the FG again. Kasay hits the post! I had never seen Martz so elated! And the odd thing was, Jermaine Wiggins caught a 21 yard pass on a nice play to set it up and Stockton says, "he caught a pass to set up Vinatieri's GWFG for N.England in SB36".

Funny moment. About 12 minutes into OT, Stockton asks Darryl Johnstone "when does fatigue set in" and he answers, "about 20 minutes ago!"

Marshall had a great game and was clocked numerous times. Ike had phenominal game. Holt had 2 catches for 21 yards, dropped a perfect pass from Bulger that would have been a TD and got out muscled for the ball in OT. I was pissed at him for a couple of months. 117 for 1600 plus on the year, I finally let it go!

One question. Carolina fumbled at the 5 and scored a TD when the ball bounded into the end zone. Was that prior to the rule, the ball comes back to the spot of the fumble?

sloramfan

Starter
how many of you guys can remember these times?...

for those of us that lived through this time... how often in so cal were BBQ's mixed with rams football (due to the near impossibility of a sellout/televised home game) on the radio with dick doing the play by play... by himself!!!...

enberg...scully... chickie baby...

so cal rules...always

but i'm all central coast cali now... north county... paso.... templeton ....a-town...

go rams

slo

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I had forgotten the game, so I looked it up.

The Rams out-gained Atlanta 569 yards to 81 yards. That hardly seems possible.
The only play I kind of remember was Dwight Scales PR for a TD....but I recall watching the blowout and it being Olson's last game. I was 10 yrs old.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
One off season, when I was bored, I burned anything from the NFL Channel to disc. Top 10 offenses of all time. Top 10 WR corps of all time. Etc. Then I'd take the Rams parts and burn them to just a Rams disc. I watched a little of that stuff today.

At the beginning, the voice of god, John Facenda starts with, "Los Angeles, California where over 30 years ago, the modern pro offense was born. Offensively the Los Angeles Rams were decades ahead of their time. And in 1950, were the most explosive team in the history of the sport. With quarterbacks Bob Waterfield and Norm Van Brocklin throwing to a bounty of all pro receivers, the Rams presented a carnival of big plays. A merry-go-round offense with a simple philosophy. To hell with how many points the opposition scores, we'll just score more! In one season, the Rams scored 466 points, 39 per game. A pinnacle unmatched by any NFL team before or since."

That was from the mid 80's. I laugh at the similarities to the modern GSOT. "A Carnival". "A merry-go-round offense". That's the 1950-51 Rams, the 1999 Rams and McVay's Rams. "To hell with how many points the opposition scores, we'll just score more!" Ya gotta love it.

Best Nicknames: The Greatest Show on Turf, The Fearsome Foursome
Best One hit wonders: Mike Jones
Best turnarounds: From 4-12 to 13-3 and SB Champs. (So I guess we now own 2 records, Epic Turnaround and Epic post SB fail. Gotta take the good with the bad).
Best defenses: The 1975 Rams, 135 points in 14 games (15 TDs, 10 FGs); 9.6 PPG
Most courageous performance: Jack Youngblood
Top 10 All purpose Backs: Marshall Faulk
Top 10 Big Backs: Eric Dickerson

And interviews with Rams players:
Jon Jaguar Arnett....was originally called the Cat back in high school because any time he got in a car, he fell asleep.
Deacon Jones....."sack, like in sack a city, conquer a multitude of people".
Bernie Casey (why do you play football).."For the money".

And still, we're not talked about like the Cowboys........or the Raiders........or the Packers.......or the Patriots......or SF.........or the Steelers. Amazing.