Rams still taking heat for handling of Keenum concussion/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams still taking heat for handling of Keenum concussion
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_3a6cfb6b-81bb-579c-9360-bddc3169a5f6.html

The after-effects of Case Keenum’s concussion against Baltimore on Nov. 22 have lingered to the point where the Rams quarterback will miss his second consecutive start.

Meanwhile, the controversy also lingers over why Keenum was allowed to finish out the Rams’ final two offensive plays in that contest after hitting his head on the turf at Baltimore’s M&T Bank Stadium on a sack.

Earlier this week, NFL Players Association president Eric Winston told USA Today that he wanted the NFL to reconsider its decision not to issue any fines or discipline for the Rams’ handling of the Keenum concussion.

Winston, a nine-year veteran offensive tackle now with Cincinnati, called the Rams’ handling of the situation a “complete failure to adhere to the (concussion) protocol.”

Winston continued: “Show me someone that says, ‘No, the Rams did exactly the right thing.’ They didn’t. Everybody knows they didn’t. So there has to be discipline, right? Because when a player doesn’t do something that he’s supposed to do, he gets fined for that when it comes to health and safety.”

Fisher said he was unaware that Keenum had been diagnosed with concussion symptoms until after the Rams’ 16-13 loss to the Ravens. Fisher saw Keenum go down but said he was in game-management mode and didn’t realize the quarterback was slow to get up.

On Thursday, Fisher was asked about Winston’s comments and seemed almost eager to reply.

“I’ll say this, I have great respect for Eric as a player, and also in the position that he currently holds within the union — the Players Association,” Fisher said. “It’s awfully difficult for an active player, you know, to stay involved — and how should I say this? — understand everything that went on.

“I don’t think Eric has all of the facts. The facts were all discussed with the league, with the union. I mean, I can see his position. His position is to protect players. But his position’s no different than mine, nor Reggie (Scott)’s, or anybody else associated with the league.”

Scott is the Rams’ head athletic trainer. He briefly checked out Keenum after the play, while referee Tony Corrente’s crew was administering a penalty that occurred on the play. But the independent injury spotter at press box level never called for a medical timeout to check out Keenum on the sideline, probably because Scott came out on the field.

“It’s very unlikely that anybody is going to be penalized,” Fisher continued. “As I said two weeks ago (after the Keenum incident) ... we’re trying to close the loophole to make sure that that doesn’t happen again.”

Although the NFL will consider discipline for future violations of concussion protocol, the league already has let it be known there will be no club discipline in the Keenum matter.

A conference call involving athletic trainers and team physicians from all 32 teams was held last week to discuss what went wrong with the concussion protocol in the Baltimore game, and what can be done to prevent it from happening again.

Medical experts from the league and the players association are continuing to review the issue.

More criticism was directed at the Rams, and at Fisher in particular, on the topic this week. Former NFL player and current ESPN analyst Mark Schlereth said in a radio appearance that it was a “bold-faced lie” for Fisher to say he didn’t realize Keenum was injured because he was in game-management mode.

Fisher said he spoke with Schlereth on Thursday to clear the air.

“He apologized to me,” Fisher said. “Again, Mark didn’t have all of the facts. Those things happen. That’s the world we live in right now.

“When you have the facts and you understand what happened, everything that led up to that incident — and any other incident for that matter — unless you’ve got all the facts, you should probably keep your mouth shut. I think Mark’s one of the best, so we had a really good conversation.”

Fisher said he initiated the dialogue with Schlereth when he learned about his remarks.

“Would you call somebody if they called you a liar?” Fisher said. “Probably. So I did. I have great respect for Mark and we got it resolved, no problem.”

As for Keenum, he has not been made available to reporters while he’s still under the concussion protocol. He has gotten some practice repetitions with the scout team this week, running Arizona plays for the benefit of the Rams’ first-team defense.

The Rams play the Cardinals in a noon kickoff Sunday at the Edward Jones Dome.

But Keenum did not get any reps with the first-team offense this week while still under the concussion protocol. For that reason, Fisher decided to go with Nick Foles at quarterback against the Big Red. And that won’t change even if Keenum says Saturday that he feels great and clears the protocol.

Although unlikely, if that’s the case Saturday, Keenum will be the team’s No. 2 QB and dress for the Arizona game. Otherwise, rookie Sean Mannion will be No. 2 behind Foles for the second week in a row, and Keenum once again will be a game-day inactive.

===========

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Fisher must have been the only person watching the game that didn't know case was injured.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Fisher must have been the only person watching the game that didn't know case was injured.

Well; it's not like Fisher is watching the game on TV from the sideline.

Clear on TV?... Sure. His line of sight from the sideline? Hard to say what and how much he could see.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
IDK, I was shocked by the who occurrence. Somebody knew enough to get Nick Foles up and throwing and Keenum was down for a several seconds as well IDK how Fisher did not see that and with all the "Independent" physicians on the sidelines as well, how about firing those guys too?

Anyway I've seen guys who don't look as bad as Keenum get ushered to the sidelines quickly so somebody blew it, if Fisher was unable to see, well, Cig in the booth or Reggie Scott, who knows? But, IMO, everything the NFL has been preaching went awry in this particular scenario.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
What exactly are the "facts" that Fisher keeps talking about? You have 200 people on each sideline, half of those have headsets. Someone saw the man get injured. The coaches in the booth, the other QBs, the OL coach, there's no way everyone missed the fact that his bell was rung. You have a number of paid professional medical staff on hand for just these occasions, I find it very hard to believe nobody could see it. 50,000 fans in attendance could see it. It was probably replayed over and over again on the jumbotron. The play was stopped, the refs were calling a penalty, the HC isn't paying attention to the field during a penalty call?
I don't think it was malicious or anything, but they dropped the ball, end of story IMO.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Reminds me of when Martz failed to notice Warner get hurt vs. the giants...at least Martz had a history of having his head stuck in the playbook.

I agree with Blue what are the facts he keeps referring to? He obviously knew his QB was hurt - the trainer went out...hopefully the coach ALWAYS knows when his trainer goes out and why. I have to assume he is protecting his trainer...the only possibility is that the trainer went out and said he was fine...but honestly if your trainer isn't able to handle it properly then he needs to be let go...

…..

Legend
Par for the course with the Rams. Strange shit...AGAIN.

With the team being stereotyped into the Gregg Williams mold of rough play, other coaches commenting on Fishers "style"....to our fiasco at quarterback, and now this concussion thing....combined with this new era of endless media types, ex players and coaches., spreading whatever opinion and commentary they want due to a hands off network approach...

I really do not like how we as a team must appear to the rest of the league. I wanted toughness, and we have that. Up to the point of course of the typical let down at our HOME FKN FIELD, where weak teams come in and smack us in the jaw. But I didn't want THIS type of reputation.

By the time the year is over, ESPN will run a special report on the Rams "dirty play" and the injuries we've caused, coupled with our apparent disregard for player safety to include even our own players.. We'll get credit for more than we deserve, Flacco's injury will somehow become our fault. They'll replay the tape of Forsett getting slammed to the ground over and over again as "proof", and that's what ya get when you develop that kind of reputation.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Cry me a river.
You don't like contact, go play flag football.

It's not about that anymore, there have been medical breakthroughs on dealing with concussions and it was obvious at least to the naked eye that Keenum was in trouble.

None of us are questioning the toughness of Keenum or the game itself, but I think you would concur that player safety should be paramount because if you play the game of american football one can summarize you understand contact is involved and to keep in mind that denial is not just a river in Egypt.

Athos

Legend
Cry me a river.

What an incredibly callous and silly remark.

Fisher and co and the NFL dropped the ball big time. They deserve as much criticism that is being leveled out.

…..

Legend
Cry me a river.

I'm with you on that, I really am.

But what I'm talking about is a whole other level of perception. I'm not debating the reality or even stating what the reality is. I'm talking about how this team is now perceived. You have coaches preparing their players for us, which is fine and actually what we hope for, up to the point where they have begun to prepare them mentally to deal with our "dirty play". They're coaching them on composure. Coaching them on not reacting, not causing a bench clearing brawl. You have referees tossing around yellow flags at the mere hint of a foul. We have zero discipline to begin with, who needs phantom flags? Certainly not this team. But we get them.You have dirty players calling us dirty. Commentators digging up Fishers past. Making statements that are bold and previously never said on live TV. On top of THAT, you have Fisher replying to them...."Hey did I just have a really dirty player call me dirty? He cant call me dirty, he had (enter amount) personal fouls as a player" And of course you have the infamous Gregg Williams on the payroll to set a very deep rooted foundation of misconception. My opinion is that the reputation of Fisher and Williams is affecting the perception of the team. Even before Fisher got here, when Martz took the team into Tennessee for a pre season game and the Titans roughed us up and injured our boys, we Rams fans walked away from that saying that Fisher was one fk'd up coach for creating the environment that allowed that type of play in a pre season game.

On top of all the above....now the perception is that we put our own players in harms way. Ugly perception. I think we're so enamored with our team that we don't see it. Love is blind.

The ball is rolling. I'm not judging right or wrong. Fact or fiction. I'm just telling you the movement has begun and I hope the wheels don't gain any more momentum. I think we have a great team. We wont realize it this year, but we have a great team. I'd hate this team to be drug down by any negative perceptions, earned or not.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Coach on this weeks game:
Blah....Blah Blah......Blah.
Keenum will be fine, Nick had a great week of practice, we are fine, the team is ready, we are prepared for the Cards.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So wait, Fisher is supposed to be paying attention when the offense is on the field?

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
What an incredibly callous and silly remark.

Fisher and co and the NFL dropped the ball big time. They deserve as much criticism that is being leveled out.

So let's move on and try not to let it happen again. Why are people still talking about? Keenum will be fine. People make mistakes. There is no perfect system. The only thing you can do is try to improve the system to minimize the mistakes.

This is football. You are going to hit hard. Sometimes emotions are flying high. It a was a close game. If anyone should be blamed it should be the NFL.

I'm just sick of people bashing fisher. Calling his teams dirty. Our own fans used to like how tough we are. Now they don't like it and that's only because we are losing unfortunately.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
I'm with you on that, I really am.

But what I'm talking about is a whole other level of perception. I'm not debating the reality or even stating what the reality is. I'm talking about how this team is now perceived. You have coaches preparing their players for us, which is fine and actually what we hope for, up to the point where they have begun to prepare them mentally to deal with our "dirty play". They're coaching them on composure. Coaching them on not reacting, not causing a bench clearing brawl. You have referees tossing around yellow flags at the mere hint of a foul. We have zero discipline to begin with, who needs phantom flags? Certainly not this team. But we get them.You have dirty players calling us dirty. Commentators digging up Fishers past. Making statements that are bold and previously never said on live TV. On top of THAT, you have Fisher replying to them...."Hey did I just have a really dirty player call me dirty? He cant call me dirty, he had (enter amount) personal fouls as a player" And of course you have the infamous Gregg Williams on the payroll to set a very deep rooted foundation of misconception. My opinion is that the reputation of Fisher and Williams is affecting the perception of the team. Even before Fisher got here, when Martz took the team into Tennessee for a pre season game and the Titans roughed us up and injured our boys, we Rams fans walked away from that saying that Fisher was one fk'd up coach for creating the environment that allowed that type of play in a pre season game.

On top of all the above....now the perception is that we put our own players in harms way. Ugly perception. I think we're so enamored with our team that we don't see it. Love is blind.

The ball is rolling. I'm not judging right or wrong. Fact or fiction. I'm just telling you the movement has begun and I hope the wheels don't gain any more momentum. I think we have a great team. We wont realize it this year, but we have a great team. I'd hate this team to be drug down by any negative perceptions, earned or not.

You're right. I know what kind of 'reputation' Fisher and Williams have. The media can be a powerful thing.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Meh. I'm over it now. Until someone can *prove* that Fisher knew Keenum was 'out of it' and he (Fisher) decided to just forego the protocol and keep him out there anyway, then this is all just another case of mountain building. If anything, Fisher is overly cautious with player health, so this argument that he didn't give a shit about Keenum's well-being just doesn't line up with his history.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
IMHO, wasn't it reported that the refs would not let Reggie stay on the field? They ushered him off because they didn't see any injury? They were busy discussing the penalty, 0r something to that effect. So is it the refs fault for not letting the trainer properly evaluate the player?

I could see Fisher not realizing what had happened, talking on the headset about the next play call, looking at his sheet, paying attention to the penalty call. He is managing a game/team, not individual players on every down. That is what the coordinators are for.

In the end, yes the system failed. Yes they (the league) addressed it. Will it happen again? More than likely not but there is still a chance as no one is perfect.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Lynch+Mob.jpg