Rams still sorting through cornerbacks/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams still sorting through cornerbacks
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/14282/rams-still-sorting-through-cornerbacks

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The St. Louis Rams have yet to have a week in which they have all of their cornerbacks healthy and ready to play.

Recently, they've been without rookies Lamarcus Joyner and Marcus Roberson. But they have, however, had the services of their top three options in the form of E.J. Gaines, Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson.

Back before Jenkins and Johnson returned from knee injuries, many wondered how the Rams would deploy their corners if and when they were all healthy. Well, that still hasn't entirely happened but there have been clues along the way.

Before the season, the expectation was that returning third-year corners Johnson and Jenkins would be the starters. Then Johnson suffered a knee injury in the third preseason game and took about half the season to be ready to play. Jenkins suffered a knee injury of his own around the same time Johnson returned, leaving the rookie Gaines to take on a role beyond what anyone could have expected when the Rams drafted him in the sixth round.

Gaines didn't just step into the lineup, either. He's mostly excelled in his role as the starter, to the point where he now seems to be entrenched. Against Oakland last week, it was Gaines who played all 78 defensive snaps. Interestingly, Johnson was next at 57 snaps then Jenkins, who played 40.

But before passing judgment on what that means in the big picture, it's important to note what coach Jeff Fisher said about how the snaps were distributed.

“Our plan was to rest [Jenkins] a little bit because he’s still pretty sore off the MCL," Fisher said. "We alternated him -- Trumaine was feeling better."

It's worth noting that Gaines was not one of the players being alternated. He rewarded the Rams' faith with an interception and a fumble recovery as he continues to work toward becoming one of the draft's biggest steals.

Even when Jenkins returns to health, Fisher essentially confirmed that it's Gaines who has solidified his spot. Jenkins has had his share of struggles allowing big plays but Fisher said he and Gaines are asserting themselves for established roles moving forward.

"If we were going start the game tomorrow, we’d start with E.J and Janoris,” Fisher said.

When Joyner returns from a groin injury, it will be interesting to see where he fits but if nothing else, it seems Gaines has done enough to earn the trust of Fisher and the coaching staff.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Hmmmm, didn't Tru have 2 picks, one being returned for an INT? Still, great problem to have for those that remember the year every DB in blue & gold went down...I still like Josh Gordy....But ya gotta wonder, where will Joyner play if/when he returns?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Hmmmm, didn't Tru have 2 picks, one being returned for an INT? Still, great problem to have for those that remember the year every DB in blue & gold went down...I still like Josh Gordy....But ya gotta wonder, where will Joyner play if/when he returns?

Yeah that wasn't that long ago. The backfield has become a strength and for quite a few years there even when healthy they couldn't cover. Bartell was the best of the lot and I don't think he's even in the league anymore.

And lets not forget the wasted first round pick on Tye Hill, he couldn't cover me in a phone booth.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
And lets not forget the wasted first round pick on Tye Hill, he couldn't cover me in a phone booth.
LMAO!!!!!! I didn't know much about Hill, then I started looking around and remembered how he tore the combine up in speed....Not sure how he did on 3-cone & the jumps...But he was a shocker....What's the other guy from 2 years ago? Speed corner....always in a highlight getting beat by a real good wr....think he went to the Colts....ahhhhh, this glaucoma medicine.....
Anyhoots, terrible in coverage...terrible tacklers....man, times have changed....In Snisher we must trust....

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
An NFL team really needs 10 DB players between CB and safety. And with so much Nickle and Dime being played, it's not unreasonable for 7 or 8 to see game day action. If you include Cody Davis and Mo Alexander who played on special team, we had 8 secondary folks get on the field against the Raiders. Add Joyner and Roberson, that makes 10. And each one deserves their horns.