Rams still excited about Mannion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Would have been nice if Fisher played Mannion in the last 4-5 games last year.At the very least we would have more tape on him and know if he would be capable of doing it.We already knew what Keenum could do so playing him instead of Mannion was a mistake. What if Mannion had showed he could do the job,we wouldn't be looking to get another QB.If he struggled then we end the season with a top 10 pick and much better position to get Goff or Wentz.
As a fan - sure it would be great. But showing us he can do the job means little or nothing. We may be looking for another QB as priority #1 in some cases. They may not have other QBs as being better than what they have in Mannion so the idea they are looking at getting another may not hold water.
Agree with 503. Mannion was red-shirted last year. That's what they said before the season started, and that's what they did. They let him take some snaps, and are integrating him into NFL life slowly. There's a lot of merit to taking that approach too. I wouldn't call that a mistake simply because Keenum showed himself capable of leading the offense and keeping games manageable. There was no way Mannion was gonna come in as a rookie and make sparks fly with the same offensive philosophy and same offensive personnel support. He just wasn't. And of course, as 503 said, there's no guarantee that Fisher/Snead think they're in a panic situation where they absolutely have to have one of the top 2 QBs. There isn't a ton of separation between QBs 3-12 in this draft to me either. They can all offer something within the structure of our offense.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As a fan - sure it would be great. But showing us he can do the job means little or nothing. We may be looking for another QB as priority #1 in some cases. They may not have other QBs as being better than what they have in Mannion so the idea they are looking at getting another may not hold water.
Well put.
Look at Tennessee for instance. Zach Mettenberger played pretty well as a rookie in limited action. But that sure wasn't enough to keep Tenn from drafting Marcus Mariota.
Like you said, if the Rams are targeting a QB at 1, a game or two wouldn't have made a difference

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Well put.
Look at Tennessee for instance. Zach Mettenberger played pretty well as a rookie in limited action. But that sure wasn't enough to keep Tenn from drafting Marcus Mariota.
Like you said, if the Rams are targeting a QB at 1, a game or two wouldn't have made a difference
The mistake, IMO, was not getting Mannion any reps. Let us not forget, he was 3rd string, even after Foles was demoted, so there was no way that we were going to put him out there, at all. I wish he would have jumped to 2nd string, and at least received reps.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The mistake, IMO, was not getting Mannion any reps. Let us not forget, he was 3rd string, even after Foles was demoted, so there was no way that we were going to put him out there, at all. I wish he would have jumped to 2nd string, and at least received reps.
Don't get me wrong. I would have liked that too. But that really doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things. They were going to roll with Keenum/Foles. Getting Mannion reps and PT was obviously not in their plans for better or worse. I still don't think it means they view the options in the draft as a serious upgrade over what they saw/see in Mannion. Only time will tell us that.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Don't get me wrong. I would have liked that too. But that really doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things. They were going to roll with Keenum/Foles. Getting Mannion reps and PT was obviously not in their plans for better or worse. I still don't think it means they view the options in the draft as a serious upgrade over what they saw/see in Mannion. Only time will tell us that.
But I think it does, because everyone, especially the Rams, would have known a lot more about Mannion today. You don't get a whole lot of contact with players with the current CBA.

Time will tell, but they would have seen more, and just from a fans perspective, Mannion seems to get thrown in the trash a lot, because he didn't see any action. Our coaches had a plan, and stuck with it, good or bad, but it wasn't Mannion's fault, and he shouldn't be blamed for not being ready, when he never got a chance. Not saying you are, but a lot of fans are.

After Foles turned into a dumpster fire, why keep him at 2nd string? That's my only complaint.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
Why when I read this do I envision Fisher and Snead wearing ugly plaid sport jackets standing next to Mannion holding a sign that says low mileage?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Why when I read this do I envision Fisher and Snead wearing ugly plaid sport jackets standing next to Mannion holding a sign that says low mileage?
Because you probably ate the wrong kind of mushrooms.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
"You go back to what New England did with Tom Brady. There was a guy they drafted in the sixth round, and that's an awesome pick obviously, but if you look at the history of what they did with him and the courage it took to play him when they played him, especially in the first Super Bowl they STOLE.

FIFY

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Agree with 503. Mannion was red-shirted last year. That's what they said before the season started, and that's what they did. They let him take some snaps, and are integrating him into NFL life slowly. There's a lot of merit to taking that approach too. I wouldn't call that a mistake simply because Keenum showed himself capable of leading the offense and keeping games manageable. There was no way Mannion was gonna come in as a rookie and make sparks fly with the same offensive philosophy and same offensive personnel support. He just wasn't. And of course, as 503 said, there's no guarantee that Fisher/Snead think they're in a panic situation where they absolutely have to have one of the top 2 QBs. There isn't a ton of separation between QBs 3-12 in this draft to me either. They can all offer something within the structure of our offense.

So you don't playing Mannion in the last 4-5 games would've been beneficial to our QB search.By not doing so we have a QB taking up a valuable roster spot.I'm not saying he would've came out and put up big numbers.But at the very least if we have the harsh reality of 2 Qbs going down he would've had some experience.And if he did play bad were sitting on a much better draft pick.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
So you don't playing Mannion in the last 4-5 games would've been beneficial to our QB search.By not doing so we have a QB taking up a valuable roster spot.I'm not saying he would've came out and put up big numbers.But at the very least if we have the harsh reality of 2 Qbs going down he would've had some experience.And if he did play bad were sitting on a much better draft pick.
What would 4 or 5 games have told you If he put up average numbers and the Rams won?

MrMotes

Starter

The people who are doing the search didn't think it would be beneficial.

Not sure how you get around that one...

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Here's how I see the Mannion prospects as a future Ram starter.

TBD... I wouldn't necessarily rule anything out due to lack of public information.

But I DO know how S&F have dealt with our RB position in their first 4 years, and I think it might give us a clue.

Richardson was a pleasant surprise and played fairly well in '12.
Zac Stacy replaced Richardson the very next year and was a pleasant surprise.
Tre Mason was drafted and replaced Stacy the very next year and was a very pleasant surprise.
Todd Gurley was drafted #10 and replaced Mason as starter the very next year and was a very pleasant surprise.

What to conclude?

S&F are always looking to improve a position and are more than willing to draft a player that they think is a significant upgrade, even if they already have a productive starter at that position.

So, if I'm Mannion, I wouldn't get too comfortable just yet. And I would be focused like crazy trying to impress my coaches. April 28th is just around the corner.