Rams still excited about Mannion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...s-still-excited-to-watch-sean-mannion-develop

Much has been made of the Los Angeles Rams' quarterback situation this offseason.

After a season in which the Rams finished at the bottom of the league in almost every major passing category, the questions about the position are certainly understandable.

That conversation has largely centered on the Rams' consistent votes of confidence for Case Keenum or constant speculation on potential additions from the outside. Every once in a while, Nick Foles' name is brought up, but that's usually more a discussion of his potential departure than his role in 2016.

However, there's still another quarterback on the roster who has been mostly ignored when talking about the future of the position. That's second-year signal-caller Sean Mannion, who was a third-round pick in 2015.

Despite playing in just one game and attempting only seven passes, Mannion still figures in the Rams' plans moving forward. At least, that seems to be the company line.

"I'm excited to watch him develop and move through that second year," coach Jeff Fisher said, "especially with some familiarity with the system. There were some minor system changes, but he's got a football brain, and processes it. Gets the ball out. He's changed his body a little bit."

The question with Mannion isn't whether the Rams see a future for him in the league so much as what that future is. Could he eventually earn the starting job? Do they see him as more of a long-term backup? Could he potentially be pushed out by a newcomer?

With such a small sample size to evaluate, there's really not an answer to any of those questions at this point. Relegated to the third quarterback spot most of the season, Mannion rarely got reps in practice. Even when Keenum was bouncing back from a concussion and the Rams found themselves in some meaningless late-season games, Mannion didn't get any opportunities save for the blowout loss to Cincinnati.

So most of what the Rams believe about Mannion's future is based on guesswork and projection. Still, they seem to like what they've seen when it comes to intangibles.

"I usually call rookies freshman, so if you're a sophomore, last year was your rookie year. Now you're a sophomore and you didn't play as much in your freshman year, especially with QB's, you're kind of a forgotten entity," general manager Les Snead said. "All the new guys that we're covering at the combine are the sexy new objects and they get talked about, but a guy like Sean Mannion is right now somewhere on this planet trying to get better. And he’s got a goal in mind to start in this league, and that's what he's doing while these guys are just getting started.

"You go back to what New England did with Tom Brady. There was a guy they drafted in the sixth round, and that's an awesome pick obviously, but if you look at the history of what they did with him and the courage it took to play him when they played him, especially in the first Super Bowl they won. I think the No. 1 thing is you kind of have to look and say 'We like this human being and we're going to have the courage to stick him in there and see what occurs after that.'"

The Rams didn't have that courage in Mannion's rookie season, which brings up a fair question about what they'll feel comfortable doing with him in season two. They haven't added any quarterbacks via free agency and the only look they'll have at Mannion before this month's NFL draft is strength and conditioning work he can do after the offseason program kicks off on April 18.

Mannion's understanding of a pro-style offense, combined with a strong arm, make him intriguing in the eyes of Fisher and Snead. But he has yet to have the chance to show it in a full game with something on the line.

Armed with three picks in the top 45, many believe the Rams will take a quarterback early in this year's draft -- perhaps as soon as their first pick at No. 15 overall. How they approach the draft should offer a better answer on just how bright they believe Mannion's future with the club is.

"He’s got a nice skillset, came from a pro-style offense," Snead said. "So doing what we do in the NFL doesn’t overwhelm him. He can read things pre-snap, he can get the ball out quickly, he’s less mobile than most but I think he was probably that way in high school, so he’s learned to get the ball out quick. The answer is, from freshman to sophomore year there’s a big jump in a lot of different things like experience, confidence; you’re not the new kid."

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
He's slow footed, didn't get to sniff the #1 job, even with Foles play...Didn't taste #2 spot either....and didn't play one significant snap...
The Brady comparison is funny. Brady looked like hell in the combine, but was entrusted with the backup position to Bledsoe as a rookie....
My only real question, if we draft a QB, and Foles & Keenum look better than Mannion again in camp...what's the cap savings if we cut Mannion?

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Mannion IS an NFL starter, hopefully for the Rams. Fisher doesn't like rookie QBs. Mannion is like Drew Bleese, he just needs to be given the reigns.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
He's slow footed, didn't get to sniff the #1 job, even with Foles play...Didn't taste #2 spot either....and didn't play one significant snap...
The Brady comparison is funny. Brady looked like hell in the combine, but was entrusted with the backup position to Bledsoe as a rookie....
My only real question, if we draft a QB, and Foles & Keenum look better than Mannion again in camp...what's the cap savings if we cut Mannion?
Probably very minimum cap savings. I'm not going to count him out yet Footwork can be learned!(y)

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter

It's a moot point. Fisher said after they drafted Mannion that he would not play his rookie year.

And those slow feet sure kept him from leading the nation in Passing (4,662 total yds & 37 TD's) as a Junior.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Is this piece a precursor to soften the blow when the Rams do not pick a first round QB in the coming draft? I can hear it already. "Hey, we are still excited about Mannion, and I am not just saying that because we passed on all of the QBs this year. I said that before we even finished setting our draft board."

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Would have been nice if Fisher played Mannion in the last 4-5 games last year.At the very least we would have more tape on him and know if he would be capable of doing it.We already knew what Keenum could do so playing him instead of Mannion was a mistake. What if Mannion had showed he could do the job,we wouldn't be looking to get another QB.If he struggled then we end the season with a top 10 pick and much better position to get Goff or Wentz.

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
I am glad they are still excited. Snisher will go best player available at 15. I wouldn't bet on them trading to move up. WR 1 st than take QB with one of the 2nds.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA

about $270K

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'm not going to count him out yet
As many believe, it would have been nice to see a supposedly smart guy, that learned the playbook, given a significant role....One game....one quarter, hell, one two-minute drive...season over, time to evaluate....

Fisher said after they drafted Mannion that he would not play his rookie year.
Fisher says a lot of things...not all of it true...this happens to be one of them...although he did take a few snaps at the end of some games...

those slow feet sure kept him from leading the nation in Passing (4,662 total yds & 37 TD's) as a Junior.
College defenses...with superior offensive talent....I'd rather have a guy that played with nothing, and still produced..Sorta like Mannion coulda done last year but didn't....
Defenses are about speed. Your QB doesn't have to be fast, but it sure helps....and if he's a fast thinker, then that's better than fast feet....

Would have been nice if Fisher played Mannion in the last 4-5 games last year.At the very least we would have more tape on him and know if he would be capable of doing it.We already knew what Keenum could do so playing him instead of Mannion was a mistake.
Exactly...and I'd have been happy with ONE GAME....

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
It is going to be interesting:

If the Rams draft a QB in the first round (especially if the trade up for one) they will have to make him the #2 - you can't draft a guy that high with no plan to be able to start him this season (you can do that with a 3rd rounder). Thus it has to be assumed that the Rams would start the season with Keenum until either he tanks or the rookie is ready.

With a first rounder on the team I can't see Mannion getting the starting job. Keenum is the "veteran" safe starter (which I think JF would lean towards anyway), Mannion will be competing with Foles for the 3rd spot. They will make sure both Keenum and rookie get reps....and as happened last year we know that the 3rd/4th guys just don't get the reps. Can't see Mannion getting the reps to compete with Keenum (same with Foles). I do think that Foles will be the likely cut (or traded if they can)...you do not want to cut a 3rd rounder year 2...

If no Qb is drafted in the first round I would expect a competition between Mannion and Keenum (they will say Foles is in it also - but he won't get reps enough - he will be competing with any rookie non-1st rounder for the 3rd spot). If Mannion isn't given a solid shot against Keenum it will say more than any coach speak....

It is nice to say things are an open completion, but there is only so much time/reps to go around...they can't and won't split things 25% each guy, even if it was 3 guys it would not be an even split of 33% each. It will be more like 40/40/20 or 35/35/20/10....it is VERY tough for those guys at 20% to overtake the guys above...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It is going to be interesting:

If the Rams draft a QB in the first round (especially if the trade up for one) they will have to make him the #2 - you can't draft a guy that high with no plan to be able to start him this season (you can do that with a 3rd rounder). Thus it has to be assumed that the Rams would start the season with Keenum until either he tanks or the rookie is ready.

With a first rounder on the team I can't see Mannion getting the starting job. Keenum is the "veteran" safe starter (which I think JF would lean towards anyway), Mannion will be competing with Foles for the 3rd spot. They will make sure both Keenum and rookie get reps....and as happened last year we know that the 3rd/4th guys just don't get the reps. Can't see Mannion getting the reps to compete with Keenum (same with Foles). I do think that Foles will be the likely cut (or traded if they can)...you do not want to cut a 3rd rounder year 2...

If no Qb is drafted in the first round I would expect a competition between Mannion and Keenum (they will say Foles is in it also - but he won't get reps enough - he will be competing with any rookie non-1st rounder for the 3rd spot). If Mannion isn't given a solid shot against Keenum it will say more than any coach speak....

It is nice to say things are an open completion, but there is only so much time/reps to go around...they can't and won't split things 25% each guy, even if it was 3 guys it would not be an even split of 33% each. It will be more like 40/40/20 or 35/35/20/10....it is VERY tough for those guys at 20% to overtake the guys above...

I would think that if the Rams draft a QB in round 1 then they either have to trade Foles or Mannion for a pick. Foles would be ideal so that in the future Mannion would be the backup but I doubt that they can move Foles.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
I would think that if the Rams draft a QB in round 1 then they either have to trade Foles or Mannion for a pick. Foles would be ideal so that in the future Mannion would be the backup but I doubt that they can move Foles.

Fully agree....that said I doubt they get much for either....Mannion in theory would be worth more (younger/cheaper), but the fact you let him go so quick and there is nothing really for a team to use to determine what they are getting would be negatives....I think you get at best a 6/7th for Foles...Mannion might get you a 5/6....

The only caveat might be that they want to keep Foles as a camp arm incase Keenum got hurt in preseason...but have no real plans to roll into the season with him....(I just do not see this team carrying 4 QBs...heck JF seems to dislike carrying 3)

Ramfansince79

Rookie
Name
Ramsfan79
Just because it's getting late the night of the annual office party and you're drunk and want some lovin', it doesn't mean you should take the fat girl from accounting home.

I'm confident we won't be trading up to grab non-first round talent.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Pretty sure this is the first time ever Wentz or Goff have been referred to as "the fat girl from accounting"...lol

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Would have been nice if Fisher played Mannion in the last 4-5 games last year.At the very least we would have more tape on him and know if he would be capable of doing it.We already knew what Keenum could do so playing him instead of Mannion was a mistake. What if Mannion had showed he could do the job,we wouldn't be looking to get another QB.If he struggled then we end the season with a top 10 pick and much better position to get Goff or Wentz.
As a fan - sure it would be great. But showing us he can do the job means little or nothing. We may be looking for another QB as priority #1 in some cases. They may not have other QBs as being better than what they have in Mannion so the idea they are looking at getting another may not hold water.