Rams still deciding how to divide workload at RB: 'It's a positive problem'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
Los Ramos need to be running the ball 30+ times a game, regardless of the performance of the line. Seems like 10 apiece for Gurley/Brown/Henderson and a couple for the WR's is just what the doctor ordered. The Cheatriots have been using this formula for more than a decade. 49'ers are using it now.

If you have capable players, let them be capable, regardless of the name on the back of the jersey. Gurley is an elite pass blocker, and Brown is good. Henderson is getting there.
This also means , early in most games, some quick and successful short passes....ala NE.
Second and 3 makes a running balance a lot easier and effective. Just running on first down every time and being in second and 9 all day is tough.
Use the short pass to set up the run.
As the game goes on it will either open up deeper passes or allow to run 2 or 3 plays on a row.
This offense has to get into second and under 5 yards.

Flint

Pro Bowler
Snead drafted Henderson to replace Brown. So yeah I think he expects to see more of Henderson. Henderson needs to prove he's capable of carrying the #2RB load. He looked good against a so so team. Let's hope he continues to produce against better competition.

Don’t know about that, Gurley can do everything Brown can do and do it better and Henderson is a different than both of them. DH is shiftier, more elusive. TG is a big back, he busts through a hole then it’s a track meet, Henderson is smaller and slippery and hard to get a hold of.

Ram77

Rookie
No but really-Why again didnt we pick up CJ Anderson when he was cut by the Lions? His first 3 games last year he averaged 150 yards. Sure he was shut down by the Patriots but he’s another weapon. He had really nimble feet for a big guy and found creases when none were there. Henderson is good but young and Brown is always hurt it seems

Psycho_X

Legend
It’s a positive problem as long as the run game as a whole gets going finally. If your RBs collectively keep averaging less than 80 yards a game rushing it’s a major problem.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I remember another "washed up" running back that played behind a poor Rams Oline.
J. Bettis had a very good career after leaving the Rams.

I like Jerome, he's a really good egg. But he was a pretty average RB outside of a couple of seasons.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
F Rich Brooks.

This is as close we can get to getting justice for that horrible trade

C368372E-A9AC-4103-9CAF-0AFFBD624C47.jpeg

Side note
* I remember going to Candlestick with my dad and the first drive Bettis punched it in for a TD and I thought we were gonna roll, so I stood up and started taunting the crowd — needless to say we got outscores from there 47 to 0 or something awful and for the rest of the game kept getting pelted with empty cups and popcorn

It was not a good day

F Rich Brooks

dang

Legend
Rams averaged 4.9 y/a last year. They are averaging 3.9 y/a this year. Their pass offense is as good or better but Until they figure out how to improve y/a they will be less balanced than last year.

RamsInfiniti

Rookie
This also means , early in most games, some quick and successful short passes....ala NE.
Second and 3 makes a running balance a lot easier and effective. Just running on first down every time and being in second and 9 all day is tough.
Use the short pass to set up the run.
As the game goes on it will either open up deeper passes or allow to run 2 or 3 plays on a row.
This offense has to get into second and under 5 yards.

Wait - did you go ahead and call McVay and tell him that the rules do INDEED allow us to throw short passes???? :ROFLMAO:

WestCoastRam

Legend
I think Hendersons size helps him squeeze into holes that Gurley just can't fit.

He is fun to watch run!

I'm sure I'm gonna get roasted for this but I've never really believed that Gurley has had the greatest vision as a RB. Sure, he has every other trait imaginable but in the Zone-blocking scheme where multiple holes open over time, he's always seemed okay but not great at picking the right one.

At times in his career it seems like he's improved at it but I wonder if cause's he's so frustrated right now if he isn't processing the holes in a more relaxed manner and therefore has regressed again in seeing them.

His first year in the McVay system it seemed to be an issue early that kinda got reduced after awhile... interesting that he didn't practice as much in training camp this year...

Ram65

Legend
We don't know if there is any change on the offensive line. At the least, I hope Blythe's ankle is healthier. Let's see what TG has in the tank to start. I have to keep Henderson reps too. See how they both respond to the Steelers defense. McVay has a least have the Steelers concerned with the run. Right now I think Henderson would be the one they worry about break one. Even if they don't have a high YPC getting positive yards is key to helping the passing game. Both TG and Henderson can catch the rock. I would get them involved in the passing game. Brown can be ready should an injury happen.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Depth at running back "a positive problem" for Rams

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. – The Rams have multiple capable options at running back, but what will be the best plan of attack for utilizing them?

That's the challenge now facing Los Angeles head coach Sean McVay in his staff after the performances put on by all three in the first half of the season.
"It's a positive problem," McVay said.

Barring any unforeseen setbacks heading into the weekend, McVay said Sunday's game against the Steelers in Pittsburgh marks the first time this season that the Rams will have confidence in finding a way to use the full complement of running backs at their disposal.

Todd Gurley is still the starter, rushing 92 times for 355 yards and six touchdowns and adding 15 receptions for 81 yards and a score. He played in seven of Los Angeles' first eight games.

Gurley's backup according to the unofficial depth chart, Malcolm Brown, started in his place in the lone game he did miss, but has performed well even when Gurley has been healthy. He had 11 carries for 53 yards and two touchdowns in L.A.'s season opening win over the Carolina Panthers in Charlotte. On the season, he's carried the ball 37 times for 154 yards in addition to those two scores across six games.

Rookie Darrell Henderson Jr. played sparingly through the first five games, then got more involved when he was elevated to the No. 2 running back against the 49ers. His snap count increased against the Falcons and Bengals while Brown nursed an ankle injury. Between each of those three games, the former Memphis standout tallied 28 carries for 119 yards, an average of 4.3 yards per attempt, adding four receptions for 37 yards. McVay play has given the coaching staff the confidence to find a way to create a role for him, and in turn, use all three backs.

"I feel like we all do a good job of just being able to communicate with each other, providing each other with information that one another knows when we're on the field and might get tips and tales," Gurley said, when asked how they each complement one another. "We just all stay ready. Me, JK (John Kelly), Darrell and Malcolm. You never know what can happen. Anything can happen, any man can go down any snap, so be ready to go in and be able to do what coach tells you to do."

For McVay, it's up to the offense to get into enough of a rhythm which allows each running back to get involved.

It's not a new approach by any means. McVay cited gameflow as the reason for Brown's usage vs. Gurley's usage against the Panthers, and that will continue to be the case with all three of those running backs healthy. However, in order to maximize opportunities for each, McVay said the Rams have to be more efficient on their early downs.

"For us overall, it’s about maximizing our early down opportunities, not putting yourself in those negative situations where now you can truly present a legitimate run-pass balance that puts defenses in conflict," McVay said. "That’s one of the things that we have to do a better job of – making people pay with both phases. If you’re going to be a really good offense in this league, you have to be able to do both and those are things that we’re constantly striving to do better collectively."

And when it comes to what that plan of attack will actually look like...
"I think that would be something that I could probably be better equipped to answer after the game Sunday when you see what our gameplan is," McVay said, laughing.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I’m with you on this one.

IMHO Gurley has a running style that makes him hard to judge. If he gets a crease, he’s got the acceleration and top end speed to break huge runs. But when he consistently doesn’t get a crease, he can be shut down.

So has Gurley lost a step or is he simply the victim of a poor OL?

Jury’s still out IMHO.

Gurley is well suited to the zone blocking scheme where he can run laterally and pick an open gap to hit and accelerate.

But despite his size the more traditional gap system/ power blocking doesn’t suit him as well unless the hole is where it is supposed to be and he likes it. He’s not a Steven Jackson type of runner who can drag defenders down the field every play. He’s more like Dickerson, who made a cut and was gone. Gurley’s Speed and size allows him to make subtle movements to avoid or break tackles. But he is not the get low and pound yourself a hole type.

Gurley needs to get through a hole pretty cleanly so his speed is built up as soon as he’s hit. With the current state of the Rams Oline he can’t do that consistently.

Henderson is more of a slasher who can accelerate through tight holes. Brown was the muscle who could pound and drive a pile. Depending on the situation and what the defense is giving you there is a place for each. But of the three Gurley needs a little more space initially to take full advantage of his skill set.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
McVay will go into the Pittsburgh game with a healthy stable of four RB's..its been awhile. I would expect to see Henderson get more snaps overall with Brown then Gurley. John Kelly might not dress. The Steelers D will be a tough going.

RamWoodie

Legend
I'm all for Henderson getting playing time...BUT...I still think the only problem with Gurley is he doesn't want McVay coddling his playing time.

You need to feed Gurley and he gets better...KNOCK OFF THE NONSENSE and play the guy!!!

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I'm all for Henderson getting playing time...BUT...I still think the only problem with Gurley is he doesn't want McVay coddling his playing time.

You need to feed Gurley and he gets better...KNOCK OFF THE NONSENSE and play the guy!!!
I would like to believe this and Gurley only needs more touches but when I watch him run I don't see the same player any more. When he has to run laterally he looks slow. It looks like he's running in mud. If he runs vertically with no lateral movements he looks super fast, like his old self. I'm afraid he will never be the same and that really hurts me to say that.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I didn't buy into this whole "Gurley won't be the same" during the offseason. But watching him the first half the season there is clearly something off. I know he demeanor us usually more laid back, but something in his body language appears to have the look of frustration. Is it the line? Or is he not capable of doing the things he used to do?

Another question, Blythe and Havenstein rated pretty good last season. Now it looks like they both regressed. What has changed? When the line played poorly under Fisher it was the coaching and scheme. What is the problem now?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I know what I saw late last season on Gurley. I do not want a repeat of that. Gurley is just going to have to accept the facts. McVay has (for the moment) a healthy Brown, Youthful Rookie Henderson & John Kelly all need work. Gurley does not need that work @ the moment.

It would not bother me if they use Gurley sparingly for the month of November but come December & the last five games of the regular season (four games with divisional teams & one with NFC East divisional leader Cowboys) .........run the hell out of Gurley then.