Rams still deciding how to divide workload at RB: 'It's a positive problem'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Les Snead expects to see 'more and more' of Darrell Henderson for Rams
1572884158734.png

Entering the 2019 draft, the Los Angeles Rams didn’t necessarily have any truly pressing needs. They traded back several times before making their first pick and bolstered the weaker areas of the depth chart with future starters, adding players such as Taylor Rapp, David Edwards and Darrell Henderson. All three have made an impact as rookies, even if the rest of the draft class for Los Angeles has not. Rapp has filled in for John Johnson, Edwards has replaced the injured Joe Noteboom and Henderson has been a perfect complement to Todd Gurley.

Sean McVay has been pleased with the way all three rookies have played this season, and Les Snead shares that same feeling. Snead was on the Rich Eisen Show recently, where he discussed the performance of Henderson and Edwards thus far.He began with Henderson, saying he expects to see more of the rookie as time goes on and he gains experience.

“The last couple games, he has played more. So any time the game is starting to slow down for him, that’s just natural course,” he said. “I think we’ll see more and more of him both running the football and catching the football. But what we do know is when he does have space, he’s proven to be an explosive player, he can break tackles and he can gain yards at a fast rate.”

Marshall Faulk mentioned the importance of having multiple running backs who can handle big workloads, which the Rams have with Gurley, Henderson and even Brown. Snead agreed, mentioning the impact running back tandems can have when working in harmony. “We’ve always seen nicknames like ‘thunder and lightning’ when there’s these dynamic duos that earned those nicknames based on their play. But I think the different styles, whatever the runner brings in his style definitely can help, as well,” Snead said. As for Edwards, Snead mentioned him as a pleasant surprise, stepping in for Noteboom at left guard after playing right tackle in college.

“Because of Joe Noteboom’s injury, we inserted him [Edwards] in as the starting left guard for the last two weeks, and in those two weeks, we’ve played Grady Jarrett, Geno Atkins – who he’s had to go against and has performed admirably. So that’s a very nice, late surprise for us, a fifth-round pick,” Snead said. The Rams haven’t gotten a lot out of their other rookies, but the impact already made by Henderson, Edwards and Rapp has been encouraging.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
“The last couple games, he has played more. So any time the game is starting to slow down for him, that’s just natural course,” he said. “I think we’ll see more and more of him both running the football and catching the football. But what we do know is when he does have space, he’s proven to be an explosive player, he can break tackles and he can gain yards at a fast rate.”
He has also shown short area elusiveness, and an ability to get yards when there isn't much there. His most impressive runs thus far have had a DL in his face at the handoff with him still picking up yards.

And if you look around the better coaches open things up for and tend to ride the hot hand at the position. Good example of this is the Saints riding Murray and because of his addition to the backfield their offense took off even with Brees out. Which doesn't take anything away from Kamara, btw, who is excellent. But Murray is giving them high SR run percentage which moves the chains.

Either way I love watching this kid run and look forward to seeing more of him.

RamsInfiniti

Rookie
I love TGIII - but I hate to say this - right now, Henderson is far and beyond the better runner, and don't just look at the statistics. Gurley is a necessity though, because his pass blocking and route running is impeccable.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I love TGIII - but I hate to say this - right now, Henderson is far and beyond the better runner, and don't just look at the statistics. Gurley is a necessity though, because his pass blocking and route running is impeccable.

I think Hendersons size helps him squeeze into holes that Gurley just can't fit.

He is fun to watch run!

oldnotdead

Legend
Snead drafted Henderson to replace Brown. So yeah I think he expects to see more of Henderson. Henderson needs to prove he's capable of carrying the #2RB load. He looked good against a so so team. Let's hope he continues to produce against better competition.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I think Hendersons size helps him squeeze into holes that Gurley just can't fit.

Gurley was able to "get skinny" to get through slivers of space at the LOS. But he isn't the same cat, and won't be.

The lower body strength and awareness of the OL makes him an excellent blocker for sure @RamsInfiniti .

RamsInfiniti

Rookie
As smart as McVay is, you'd think he could come up with some 2 RB sets with Gurley and Henderson ... just saying.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
If I didn't vividly remember TG3s sophomore season, I might fall for the whole "Gurley will never be the same guy" talk.

I have heard it all before and I have seen it all before too. Gurley wouldnt be the 1st RB to hit a slump when his O-line struggles.

Even Tre Mason looked like a legit NFL starter behind a shit O-line. Could get really skinny, loads of burst. Henderson is different but similar in that you couldn't run a game through him, and certainly not a season.

DH is fresh, talented and explosive - but he is maybe better positioned for big plays in this current situation.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
If I didn't vividly remember TG3s sophomore season, I might fall for the whole "Gurley will never be the same guy" talk.

I have heard it all before and I have seen it all before too. Gurley wouldnt be the 1st RB to hit a slump when his O-line struggles.

Even Tre Mason looked like a legit NFL starter behind a shit O-line. Could get really skinny, loads of burst. Henderson is different but similar in that you couldn't run a game through him, and certainly not a season.

DH is fresh, talented and explosive - but he is maybe better positioned for big plays in this current situation.
I’m with you on this one.

IMHO Gurley has a running style that makes him hard to judge. If he gets a crease, he’s got the acceleration and top end speed to break huge runs. But when he consistently doesn’t get a crease, he can be shut down.

So has Gurley lost a step or is he simply the victim of a poor OL?

Jury’s still out IMHO.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott

I remember another "washed up" running back that played behind a poor Rams Oline.
J. Bettis had a very good career after leaving the Rams.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I’m with you on this one.

IMHO Gurley has a running style that makes him hard to judge. If he gets a crease, he’s got the acceleration and top end speed to break huge runs. But when he consistently doesn’t get a crease, he can be shut down.

So has Gurley lost a step or is he simply the victim of a poor OL?

Jury’s still out IMHO.

I think that's a good description of Gurley's running style, and to my eye none of that has changed. But the OL is clearly having a lot of difficulty opening any holes or running lanes, or stopping penetration, compared to what we've been spoiled with the last two years.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams still deciding how to divide workload at RB: 'It's a positive problem'

1573047687215.png

Sunday’s game against the Pittsburgh Steelers will present a new type of challenge for Sean McVay and the Rams – and it has nothing to do with slowing down the pass-rush tandem of T.J. Watt and Bud Dupree. No, we’re talking about the Rams’ backfield, which is suddenly rich with talent and lacking clarity.

Todd Gurley is the starter, but both Malcolm Brown and Darrell Henderson Jr. have shown they can be playmakers on offense. And for the first time this season, all three are healthy and ready to play significant roles.

McVay said Monday that Brown is on track to return against Pittsburgh after missing two games with an ankle injury, and Henderson has gained enough experience to be a factor in the backfield. He called it a “positive problem” to have, but dividing the workload is no easy task.

He was asked how the share of touches will play out in Week 10, and he didn’t exactly have an answer.

“That’s something that, number one you say, ‘OK, is Malcolm part of that equation? Then what does our game plan look like specific to how we want to try to run the football or use our backs against Pittsburgh this week?’” McVay said. “This is really one of the first times that you say, ‘OK, all three are up,’ because now Darrell’s gotten himself enough experience that you do have a confidence in finding a role and want to get him into a rhythm. Earlier on, it was kind of really just a good spell between Todd and Malcolm. Then with both of those guys having missed games, that was what opened up the doors for Darrell to be able to step in and us to continue to gain some confidence in his ability to play and do some things. It’s a positive problem, but I think that would be something that I could probably be better equipped to answer after the game Sunday when you see what our game plan is.”

That sounds like a coach who isn’t sure which running back will get the bulk of the carries. To Rams fans, it probably doesn’t make much of a difference as long as the offense moves the ball and the team wins. But for those who play fantasy football, this is very relevant.

Gurley has been a dud in fantasy this season, rushing for just 355 yards in seven games. His seven total touchdowns have helped make up for his unimpressive yardage numbers, but fantasy owners were expecting more from the two-time All-Pro.

Henderson’s ceiling is high because of how explosive he is, but his floor is also extremely low, given the fact that he only has 33 total touches this season. Brown is a steady player, but he doesn’t create many big plays and his snaps are also limited.

Sunday’s approach will be a good measuring stick of exactly how the workload will be split up moving forward, now that all three backs are healthy and capable of having an impact on the game.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Teams know the Rams can't run up the middle or to the right because of the lame OL. Rams OL hasn't won one game at the LOS. Weak and no push. Until that changes, Gurley will continue to be bottled up.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think spreading out the ball is key...Let Gurley get 30 attempts for 140+ yards AND 60 yards receiving . We gotta be balanced...

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Teams know the Rams can't run up the middle or to the right because of the lame OL. Rams OL hasn't won one game at the LOS. Weak and no push. Until that changes, Gurley will continue to be bottled up.
Sunday's game weather will be cloudy damp around 43 degrees, not the best for a arthritic knee.

I have yet to hear of any changes in this OL after the bye......that's a shame because without some big improvement in that middle of our OL this team will struggle to run the ball. Having a game plan traveling to the cold northeastern city in November where pocket passer Goff will drop back more often with more chances to be injured, INT or provide Goff the opportunity to showcase one of his worse skills "fumbleling the ball while under duress".

I advocate the insertion of the 6-6 325 plus pound Chandler Brewer in place of the 6-2 298 lb Austin Blythe @ RG next to Rob Havenstein. The youthful Brewer has some decent pass blocking abilities too to help out Havenstein when needed.

If young Allen can not handle the line calls without Blythe doing it for him then insert Blythe in @ OC until Allen learns. Now is the time to get this running game going. If not then Snead & McVay have to go & rethink what they have done & which players are not up to the tasks assigned to them & plan accordingly for next season.

I just do not understand this Kromer Austin Blythe/ Brian Allen marriage. It's not working. The 2018 Blythe/Sullivan marriage late last season did not work either & the Rams loss in that SB game came directly from the failure of that marriage.

Kromer put this current marriage together before the 2019 season began. This duo has yet to produce any success in opening holes for our RB's with any consistency. Week after week repeating this duet leaves me with the feeling that Kromer is leading this offense down the same road this season where the Rams will suffer another disaster & miss the playoffs all together due to this interior duet.

Maybe Snead with his basketball sized balls will force the issue here with Kromer for a change for a new duet in the interior OL.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Getting Brown back is going to be interesting for sure. On one hand he's very good in traffic and should be able to give us a good success rate, but on the other hand he provides zero threat of busting big runs. And don't get me wrong here, I value his power and ability to hammer the ball a bit (I am an unabashed fan of SR) but in an offense designed for running the ball to balance things where do the touches come from?

Right now the Rams are going through that struggle of elevating the opportunities for a rookie RB without upsetting their superstar back. And that rookie back brings a lot of the same elements TG brings btw, i.e. the ability to turn a seam into a big gainer.

Also they have to be aware of trends. For example they cannot simply put Brown in there for short yardage situations or when you want to run some interior power stuff. Well they can, but in the NFL if there are clear trends with your offense the opposing defenses are going to play the odds and make things harder on you.

IMO then you have the other problem in all this which is you can't trust Brown to stay healthy. He's the kind of guy if you get him rolling next thing you know you're back to searching for that hot hand in the backfield. For all TG's knee problems the guy is there for the team and available to carry the rock.

My expectation is that Hendy emerges as a key offensive piece here real soon. Looking at the film many of our runs have been "one guy making his block" away from big gainers. If they can sort that, then all of a sudden the value of Gurley and Hendy are much higher than that of Brown. If not, well, might as well continue trying to feed Brown the ball and hope he stays healthy.

I know which way I hope things go. If it's the former we're talkin playoffs. If it's the latter, well, we won't have to wait as long as usual in round 2 for our pick.

RamsInfiniti

Rookie
Los Ramos need to be running the ball 30+ times a game, regardless of the performance of the line. Seems like 10 apiece for Gurley/Brown/Henderson and a couple for the WR's is just what the doctor ordered. The Cheatriots have been using this formula for more than a decade. 49'ers are using it now.

If you have capable players, let them be capable, regardless of the name on the back of the jersey. Gurley is an elite pass blocker, and Brown is good. Henderson is getting there.