Rams stand by Bradford, leave wiggle room/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams stand by Bradford, leave wiggle room
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/8125/rams-stand-by-bradford-with-wiggle-room

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- As so often happens during draft week, rumors and speculation have moved to a different stratosphere and the St. Louis Rams' potential interest in Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel is at the eye of the storm.

In the past 48 hours, much has been made of the potential for the Rams to execute a franchise-altering move that would see them draft Manziel and potentially part ways with incumbent Sam Bradford.

Late Tuesday afternoon, Rams general manager Les Snead and coach Jeff Fisher took questions from the media and joined their front office counterparts around the league in tap dancing around questions. It's all part of the game at this time of year but there's no doubt that Manziel and the quarterback spot were at the top of the agenda.

Like they have since January, Fisher and Snead again provided a vote of confidence for Bradford. But for those who choose to read between the lines, there is some room for wiggling should the team truly intend to make the boldest move of all.

"Johnny was probably one of a dozen quarterbacks that we worked out over this process. And with respect to Sam, he is our starter," Fisher said. "As you guys know, that’s the reason I took this job...because of Sam (as) our quarterback and we have all the confidence in the world that he’ll be back.

"But we also have the responsibility to continue to upgrade this roster. As it would suggest, we are interested in the right guys there to help in a backup role to Sam and we’ll make sure we’ve done our due diligence."

As we sit down to play this little poker game, we can look at the use of present tense in that phrase and suggest that indeed Bradford is the quarterback of the team right now. There's no disputing that.

The next question was more direct, asking if the Rams are shopping Bradford. Fisher said no, which aligns with everything the Rams have said in the past 48 hours on the subject.

Fisher was then asked if something could change between now and the first round on Thursday that would possibly change Bradford's status?

"Anything can happen," Fisher said. "Good question, but I think it’s highly unlikely. We’ve identified six to eight players that we think could potentially fit us at 2. And then we’ve gone on with the additional process at 13."

Highly unlikely is about where I've placed the odds on the Rams taking Manziel or any quarterback at No. 2 or 13 for most of this process. It's also not the same as saying no way, no how. And for those paying attention, it's never wise to make definitive claims such as that on anything in the NFL, something the Rams' reunion with defensive coordinator Gregg Williams should've reminded us of a few months ago. And when it comes to the NFL draft, all bets are off as smokescreens and misinformation rule the day.

But for the Rams to make the move on Manziel, they'd have to be fully convinced he's their franchise quarterback of the future. Could he slide to No. 13 and be the pick there? Sure but that would also fall into the category of highly unlikely. Which means the decision has to be made as to whether the Rams think enough of Manziel to pull the trigger on him at No. 2.

The argument can be made that because it's a quarterback, if you like him at 13 then you like him at 2. For most positions that's not true, but for the most important one on the field, it is.

Back in January, Snead said the Rams taking a quarterback at No. 2 would be a bit "too far out of the box." Asked Tuesday whether that's still the case, he didn't exactly echo the sentiment.

"When you’re picking 2, you have got to figure out who all has got to be in play for all kinds of scenarios, whether it’s trading and all of that, so I think at any point with your football team you try to do what’s best," Snead said. "It’s Friday (of a theoretical game week), I’m not going to tell you our first 10 plays."

Or any of them, for that matter. When all is said and done, I believe the Rams do have some genuine interest in Manziel. They might not even know yet whether that interest is strong enough to make the type of move that would send shockwaves through the league.

Of the many words Fisher and Snead spoke on Tuesday, much of it carried little meaning but the one that I keep coming back to is "unlikely." As we trudge toward the first round and the drama it holds, it's worth remembering that unlikely isn't synonymous with impossible.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Gordon: Rams like Manziel, Bradford, many others
• By Jeff Gordon

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_a88924b2-b29b-5606-85ff-64ac10dfa3ae.html

There is a clear consensus on which players should go at the top of the NFL Draft.

There is pass rusher Jadeveon Clowney, a once-in-a-decade defender. There are two elite offensive tackles, Greg Robinson and Jake Matthews. Khalil Mack is the standout linebacker. Sammy Watkins is the best of an excellent group of receivers, followed by rangy Mike Evans.

Then there are the two top quarterbacks, Johnny Manziel and Blake Bortles.

"We've identified six to eight players that we think could potentially fit us at (No. 2 overall)," Rams coach Jeff Fisher said during a Tuesday news conference.

These players should go at the top of the draft, in some order. But in which order? To what teams?

That remains as murky as ever with both the Texans and Rams threatening to move down from the No. 1 and No. 2 picks and a host of teams looking to move up.

To nobody's surprise, Fisher and general manager Les Snead offered next-to-no insight with the draft two days away.

"What's Houston going to do?' Snead wondered out loud.

Any chance the Rams will pull a big surprise in the first round?

"Depends on what you think surprising is," Snead said.

Most experts have the Rams taking Robinson or Watkins at No. 2. Of course, Snead appears highly motivated to trade down, collect a couple of picks in these deep draft and still get an offensive tackle.

Then there is the Manziel X-Factor, with some experts wondering if the Rams would take him and turn the Sam Bradford page.

"In respect to Sam, he is our starter," Fisher said.

And . . .

"No, we're not shopping Sam," Fisher said.

Fisher noted that the Rams worked out 45 players the last two weeks, including only one named Manziel. The team worked out a dozen quarterbacks, not just Manziel.

But did Fisher like about Johnny Football?

"His productivity, his competitiveness speaks for itself," Fisher said. "Outstanding college football player. He makes all the plays."

Snead's take: "You sit down and meet with the kid, you can tell he's intelligent. He's engaging. He's passionate about football."

So is there a chance the Rams will make a change at quarterback?

"Anything can happen," Fisher reminded reporters, before adding that it is "highly unlikely."

Would the Minnesota Vikings change the scenario by making a pitch for Bradford at the draft?

"I have not had any specific talks with Rams," Vikings GM Rick Spielman said at his Tuesday news conference.

So the teams may have engaged in general talks? Perhaps, since most everybody to talks to most everybody else before the draft.

(Spielman could have answered "not in a million years" but he chose not to.)

Snead noted that other teams have been checking in without making specific trade offers.

"This week it starts getting more serious," he said. "Just like we're waiting for Houston to draw first blood, other teams are waiting on Houston, too."

So the uncertainly continues. We know which players will go at the top of the draft, but we have no idea which team will take them.

duckhunter

Starter
This is worse than a friggin soap opera.

I'm losing my enthusiasm for this process with the additional two weeks and the endless senseless conjecture.

I'm wondering if this old dog who has followed this process for 50 years can set it down next year. I'm there, disgusted. We're dissecting the meaning of unlikely.

scifiman

I guess the next questions you have to ask yourself is what ifs. What if Sam does not elevate his play this year? What if he gets injured (again)? Then what? What qb's are going to be available next year and where you draft? I dont see the quality and depth at qb next year as this year has. The problem is you dont know about those what ifs so you have to plan for the future just in case otherwise you are the team that is signing the aging vet to be your qb patch and hope you get lucky.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I guess the next questions you have to ask yourself is what ifs. What if Sam does not elevate his play this year? What if he gets injured (again)? Then what? What qb's are going to be available next year and where you draft? I dont see the quality and depth at qb next year as this year has. The problem is you dont know about those what ifs so you have to plan for the future just in case otherwise you are the team that is signing the aging vet to be your qb patch and hope you get lucky.
Agreed (about the injury concern). But sadly nobody supports that theory if it involves taking a QB in round 1.