Rams Stadium Saga: Silent Stan Speaks Loudly W/out Saying A Word (101espn)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

STL-Rams

Starter
Shane Gray provides special Rams commentaries on 101sports.com. Follow him on Twitter: @ShaneGmoSTLRams.

As recently reported by the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, L.A. Business Journal and the Los Angeles Times and later confirmed via written statement by St. Louis Rams owner Stan Kroenke’s Columbia-based real-estate company, The Kroenke Group, the Missouri-born and bred real estate and sports mogul has purchased a 60-acre plot of land in Inglewood, Calif. – a plot of land that has been rumored as a potential NFL stadium site since the late 1990s.

The land that Kroenke secured is a parking lot situated between The Forum – the former home of the Los Angeles Lakers during their historic Showtime Era – and Hollywood Park.

In a very real sense, “Silent” Stan’s land acquisition quite loudly and very clearly proclaimed to the powers that be in St. Louis and the key figures within the state – without the use of a single word – that it’s “game time.”

It is important to note that while 60 acres is viewed by most as of marginal size for an NFL venue and surrounding footprint in the nation’s second-largest market, Sam Farmer of the aforementioned L.A. Times points out that there are over 200 adjacent acres surrounding the property that, although currently slated to be transformed from a defunct racetrack to a modern residential community, could at least theoretically be combined with Kroenke’s purchase to form a much larger consolidated area of development.

By purchasing the above mentioned land, the Rams’ owner quickly corrected those who strangely suggested that the team had nowhere to go beyond greater St. Louis. Quite simply, when you are the second-richest owner in the NFL and share a combined husband-wife wealth of $10 billion dollars (according to Forbes’ late 2013 update, up from $5 billion in March of 2011), you can grab the land you covet and go where you want to go – assuming you desire to move and clear numerous league hurdles to do so.

When you possess the kind of paper, the kind of power and the overall level of business acumen that Kroenke does, you don’t need someone else to build a stadium for you – such as AEG’s long-proposed concept of a would-be downtown L.A. venue to be called Farmer’s Field, for example. When you are Kroenke – a man who owns one of the nation’s largest ranches – you can hire your own ranch-hands, so to speak, and build the darn thing yourself.

All that said, Kroenke is one of the 10 largest landholders in the United States, so the news of him securing a plot of land in and of itself is about as noteworthy as the sun rising in the morning. As of 2012, landreport.com listed Kroenke as the nation’s 10th-largest land owner with a reported possession of 740,000 acres. By October of 2013, Kroenke was listed by the same outlet as the country’s eighth-largest land possessor via his ownership of nearly 850,000 acres. In just one year, Kroenke’s land holdings jumped by nearly 13 percent.

Of course, this new California-based lay of land isn’t just any piece of property in some random location. No, this plot of land is located in L.A., the Rams’ former home.

As expected, the news of this purchase caused much commotion in St. Louis and Missouri.

(Please click below for much more via the full read at 101sports.com. Thank you):

http://www.101sports.com/2014/02/18/rams-stadium-saga-silent-stan-speaks-loudly-without-saying-word/

Last edited:

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I did see a remark saying there's been more interest from St. Louis in getting the deal done since the L.A. land purchase than there was in the 2 years preceding it.

STL-Rams

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I did see a remark saying there's been more interest from St. Louis in getting the deal done since the L.A. land purchase than there was in the 2 years preceding it.

Yes, that is in the column as well, further down (if you missed it)

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Yes, that is in the column as well, further down (if you missed it)
I didn't read the full column. I really like Shane, and he's got some real insights at times. But on this issue, it's pretty obvious he's already decided there's no chance of the Rams moving, due to assumptions he's decided must be true and can't be changed.

And that's fine. He has a right to his opinion. But since I don't necessarily agree those assumptions MUST be true, I kind of move past him talking further about this topic. In the end, we'll see what happens.

STL-Rams

Starter
I didn't read the full column. I really like Shane, and he's got some real insights at times. But on this issue, it's pretty obvious he's already decided there's no chance of the Rams moving, due to assumptions he's decided must be true and can't be changed.

And that's fine. He has a right to his opinion. But since I don't necessarily agree those assumptions MUST be true, I kind of move past him talking further about this topic. In the end, we'll see what happens.

Thanks for the kind words, but since you didnt' read it, I can tell you that you are wrong re: the moving talk. I make it very clear later in this specific piece that there IS a chance of a move based on many factors. I hope you will take time to read the rest my friend. And the conclusions I have drawn in the past and currently are based on research here and around the NFL, etc, not based on hopeful thinking or just speculative assumptions.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
IMO, one of the issues causing a stalemate is the CVC's interest in city-located venue. Kroenke would probably prefer cheaper land, and the LA purchase is his way of saying, "it could be worse."

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Ah, I didn't realize this was actually you, Shane. :oops:

Having given the article a read, it's a fair article (not quality wise, but fairness wise). And speaking of fair, I was not there. You have my apologies.

On the issue itself, I've always felt that the Rams staying was the most probable outcome, but that if St. Louis took that for granted (or played the "Not One More Penny!" game that I've seen some advocate), that would be the best way to lose the team.

STL-Rams

Starter
Ah, I didn't realize this was actually you, Shane. :oops:

Having given the article a read, it's a fair article (not quality wise, but fairness wise). And speaking of fair, I was not there. You have my apologies.

On the issue itself, I've always felt that the Rams staying was the most probable outcome, but that if St. Louis took that for granted (or played the "Not One More Penny!" game that I've seen some advocate), that would be the best way to lose the team.

No need to apologize it all and thanks for your honesty on all of the posts. I tried to provide a very balanced approach to what the facts related to relocation support but also what legitimately could happen when you are dealing with someone of SK's extreme wealth, business wherewithal, etc... (wording edits have since been corrected as well if you noticed those... my apologies there).

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Shane Gray provides special Rams commentaries on 101sports.com. Follow him on Twitter: @ShaneGmoSTLRams.

As expected, the news of this purchase caused much commotion in St. Louis and Missouri.

http://www.101sports.com/2014/02/18/rams-stadium-saga-silent-stan-speaks-loudly-without-saying-word/

Shane as usual I appreciate your articles and enjoy them and concur that in the long run the expense in moving to Southern, CA might not add up, however, I do want to point out a few more things and again I have no horse in this race.

1. Future Super Bowls, if the Rams move and Kroenke funds the stadium does he not get a slice of future Super Bowls? If the team stays in St. Louis having a Super Bowl in the Gateway City is unlikely because of the lack of hotels and for the Rams to stand a any chance a retracable roof would have to included with the new stadium, lightning won't strkie twice with in open air stadium in a cold weather climate, Goodell realizes he dodged a bullet there.

2. If Kroenke builds a stadium in L.A. another team like the Chargers could join them and share the stadium, could they not? Wouldn't Kroenke receive some financial benefit if that transaction took place?

3. Kroenke's legacy....Now yes, if the Rams stay in St. Louis with a stadium similar to Lucas Oil Stadium, it would be something special, however, the NFL has been trying to get back to Los Angeles for years and I realize some of that is smoke and mirrors, but if Kroenke restored football to Los Angeles with a Super Bowl every three or four years that is quite a legacy IMHO....As always Shane again thanks so much!

Alan

Legend
2. If Kroenke builds a stadium in L.A. another team like the Chargers could join them and share the stadium, could they not? Wouldn't Kroenke receive some financial benefit if that transaction took place?

If both teams are in the playoffs?
I can't see how that would be a viable option.

(Jeff)

STL-Rams

Starter
Shane as usual I appreciate your articles and enjoy them and concur that in the long run the expense in moving to Southern, CA might not add up, however, I do want to point out a few more things and again I have no horse in this race.

1. Future Super Bowls, if the Rams move and Kroenke funds the stadium does he not get a slice of future Super Bowls? If the team stays in St. Louis having a Super Bowl in the Gateway City is unlikely because of the lack of hotels and for the Rams to stand a any chance a retracable roof would have to included with the new stadium, lightning won't strkie twice with in open air stadium in a cold weather climate, Goodell realizes he dodged a bullet there.

3. Kroenke's legacy....Now yes, if the Rams stay in St. Louis with a stadium similar to Lucas Oil Stadium, it would be something special, however, the NFL has been trying to get back to Los Angeles for years and I realize some of that is smoke and mirrors, but if Kroenke restored football to Los Angeles with a Super Bowl every three or four years that is quite a legacy IMHO....As always Shane again thanks so much!

Point by point:

1. St. Louis already has more hotel rooms within NFL's preferred distance than Indy did. I think -- to help get a deal done -- the NFL would likely be very receptive to working out a Super Bowl here (roof or not). I can't say that for sure, however.

2. Yes, it is theoretically possible to share a venue. That said, the NFL prefers expansion and Kroenke has never been the type to share (although that doesn't mean that would be impossible). And why would an owner welcome another team competing for the same market to their venue?

3. Simply put, if the NFL wanted to be back in L.A. they could have/would have long ago, going back to the Houston Texans expansion and then with other relocation possibilities. L.A. is beloved for it's leverage and is continued to be loved for that. Eventually the NFL will return that but I believe wholeheartedly -- after much study -- that it will come via expansion.

PhxRam

As always, thanks for the excellent read Shane.I need to carve out a area on this site and call it Shanes Corner.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Simply put, if the NFL wanted to be back in L.A. they could have/would have long ago, going back to the Houston Texans expansion and then with other relocation possibilities.
With the Houston expansion, the way I recall it is that the League was all for giving the new franchise to L.A., but the L.A. group was just so disorganized that it couldn't happen.

There've been other opportunities L.A. has blown as well, but if Stan really is looking at L.A., he's going to be a lot more organized than those trying to bring in an expansion team. We'll have to see how it all pans out.

STL-Rams

Starter
As always, thanks for the excellent read Shane.I need to carve out a area on this site and call it Shanes Corner.

Thank you I greatly appreciate that hopefully I can get more and more work out there this year.

Alan

Legend
It works with the Jets & Giants!

Good point.
Have they both made the playoffs in the same year?
I still see possible scheduling conflicts come playoff time.
As Shane said, it's certainly not an ideal situation.
Isn't Kroenke all about owning all the facilities?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
@ShaneG - Another stellar article. In a time when it seems sports writers are just mailing it in, you gave a well researched and stated journalistic piece. How refreshing.

Obviously you appreciate the fact that Stan is a very shrewd businessman. The timing of this purchase was not accidental but also is not a move to get out of town. He was instrumental in getting the team to St Louis and I see nothing that he has actually done or said that would indicate that he WANTS to move to LA. But I got the feeling from the very first news of this purchase that he was not happy with the speed of not only the negotiations going on in St Louis but what he has watched as the norm in the NFL.

I think that many in St Louis overlook the benefit of this kind of maneuver by Stan. Everyone complains about not knowing whether the Rams are staying or going and that they just want this whole thing resolved. Stan has made what will probably be the single biggest move to give them just that. My thought was that he is telling the powers that be to either crap or leave the outhouse. He has no intention of waiting for a decade or more to get this thing resolved.

However unlikely, moving the team back to LA is a real possibility. My hope is that the city, county, and state realize this and work to make something happen quickly. They don't need to give away the bank like (IMO) they did to get the Rams there but they need to get serious about helping to build a long term solution that EVERYONE can be proud of. And part of that is to NOT villainizing the team owner in the process. Personally, I think St Louis is very lucky they have Stan as the owner of their team.

Again Shane - thanks.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Good point.
Have they both made the playoffs in the same year?
I still see possible scheduling conflicts come playoff time.
As Shane said, it's certainly not an ideal situation.
Isn't Kroenke all about owning all the facilities?
I think it would only become an issue if both the Jets and Giants made it to their conference championship games both with home field advantage, since the conference games are usually played the same day.

If that happened, I think they'd make an exception.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Thanks for the read Shane. I also do not "have a horse" so to speak.

As soon as I heard the news about the purchase I figured Mr. Kronke had had about enough of the CVC's act and it was time to make a statement. Those who think the other owners won't let him move have some valid points but I dod remember how well they controlled Al Davis and his band of gypsies.

The Rams leaving StL is a real possibility has been for a few years and is even more so now. None of us has any pull one way or the other to stop a guy that is a $10 Billionaire we'll see what happens over the next couple of years. A team competing for division titles and playing winning football will fill a stadium in LA just as easily as they did in StL.

PhxRam

Thanks for the read Shane. I also do not "have a horse" so to speak.

As soon as I heard the news about the purchase I figured Mr. Kronke had had about enough of the CVC's act and it was time to make a statement. Those who think the other owners won't let him move have some valid points but I dod remember how well they controlled Al Davis and his band of gypsies.

The Rams leaving StL is a real possibility has been for a few years and is even more so now. None of us has any pull one way or the other to stop a guy that is a $10 Billionaire we'll see what happens over the next couple of years. A team competing for division titles and playing winning football will fill a stadium in LA just as easily as they did in StL.

Filling a stadium when a team is winning is easy. The difficult part is filling a stadium when a team has been on the negative side of .500 for a decade.

The fans in St Louis should be applauded for putting butts in the seats even though they have been losing.

Last edited by a moderator: