Rams special teams all over ESPN radio

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It is nice to hear someone talking about our team for a change.

Cowherd talking about the Rams special teams plays.

He liked the punt return. He played Pete Carrolls press conference where he was explaining what went wrong. He totally put the blame on Lockett not staying on Stedman Bailey and was griping something about the snap count. It was funny because Tim Hasslebeck was with Collin and he totally ripped Carroll for throwing Lockett under the bus and not just admitting that he was outcoached. Said being a gunner in the NFL is one of the hardest jobs to perform and that Carroll shouldn't rip his 4th receiver for making a mistake.

Conversely he is saying that Fishers call on the fake punt was not a good call. He said it was courageous but not a good call. I disagree. Fisher had to take a chance at that point in the game. Punting back to the Seahawks, who were moving the ball at will at that point would have been a loss.

RamzFanz

Damnit
It is nice to hear someone talking about our team for a change.

Cowherd talking about the Rams special teams plays.

He liked the punt return. He played Pete Carrolls press conference where he was explaining what went wrong. He totally put the blame on Lockett not staying on Stedman Bailey and was griping something about the snap count. It was funny because Tim Hasslebeck was with Collin and he totally ripped Carroll for throwing Lockett under the bus and not just admitting that he was outcoached. Said being a gunner in the NFL is one of the hardest jobs to perform and that Carroll shouldn't rip his 4th receiver for making a mistake.

Conversely he is saying that Fishers call on the fake punt was not a good call. He said it was courageous but not a good call. I disagree. Fisher had to take a chance at that point in the game. Punting back to the Seahawks, who were moving the ball at will at that point would have been a loss.

The fake punt was smart whether they make the play or not. With the Seahawks moving at will, it would be better for the Hawks to score fast so the Rams would have 2 minutes and 2 timeouts to answer. If they punt, the Hawks have the yardage to run out the clock for a last second field goal for the win.

What wasn't smart was handing a rookie the ball without reminding him to get the first and get down. I would have called on Bam Bam myself.

BadCompany

Rookie
I was following the game online, and after Austin was stopped on that third down I actually thought - and I swear I am not making this up - that they should fake it. Like most, Fisher included, I had zero faith in our ability to stop them at that point. But then I thought, "nah, they'll never do that in this field position - we just lost the game."

:)

Thank god punters are people too. Or at the very least former quarterbacks.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
From a coaching standpoint, the staff did an amazing job. They were heavily involved and we would have lost if we had someone like Carroll calling the shots. You have to actually have balls to go all in like that and it won the game.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
The fake punt was smart whether they make the play or not. With the Seahawks moving at will, it would be better for the Hawks to score fast so the Rams would have 2 minutes and 2 timeouts to answer. If they punt, the Hawks have the yardage to run out the clock for a last second field goal for the win.

What wasn't smart was handing a rookie the ball without reminding him to get the first and get down. I would have called on Bam Bam myself.

Agree on all counts. There was no way we weren't going to fake it there. I had no doubt we would...I am just stunned the Seahags didn't suspect it.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
On the ESPN Blitz on TV last night, the first story of the night by Berman, Jackson, and Carter was the Rams-Seahawks game. While the emphasis was on what's happening to the Seahawks, they were surprisingly respectful of the Rams. See if we want to get coverage and respect by the talking heads, all we need to do is keep winning.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
On the ESPN Blitz on TV last night, the first story of the night by Berman, Jackson, and Carter was the Rams-Seahawks game. While the emphasis was on what's happening to the Seahawks, they were surprisingly respectful of the Rams. See if we want to get coverage and respect by the talking heads, all we need to do is keep winning.
I noticed that too. I was actually expecting more coverage on the fumble at the end but they actually showed some class in not giving it much attention. Apparently we ended up with the ball anyway but I was still waiting for them to go off on it. Even Carroll sidestepped it in his presser. But Berman had some good quotes regarding the Rams.

lordbannon

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agree on all counts. There was no way we weren't going to fake it there. I had no doubt we would...I am just stunned the Seahags didn't suspect it.

I thought the same thing. Or at least I thought - "Man, we haven't seen the ol' Hekker heave ho in a bit. Now would be a hell of a good time"

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Well the fake punt wasn't the smartest low risk thing to do, but we weren't stopping them if Wilson chose top run and we weren't going to, everyone including Fish knew it ,it didn't matter where we gave the Hawks the ball back on the field unless Hekker punted 80 yards and we pinned them inside the 5 they were going to get points .
It wasn't the safe play, but here NOTHING VENTURED ................................ good job Fish ,a coward dies a thousand deaths,I admire that,kinda like when Tom Osbourne went for two in the Orange Bowl, kinda ,this time we made the play.
Ya know of course though IF it hadn't worked :whistle::eek: dogs and cats sleeping together ,the apocalypse this board would be, SHIIIIIT :LOL:

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
What sucks is that at worse - we should be 3-3 right now... tied with those bastards. Could easily be 4-2.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Agree on both points to an extent. Giving Seattle the ball at the 18 with almost four minutes left would have likely meant we would at least get the ball back with time and a shot at a winning drive. Punting meant the shecocks get the ball at around the 50 with plenty of room to get into FG position and run out the clock.

Not sure if the coaches said anything about getting down if he got the first down or if they didn't want to give a rookie too much to think about in his second game. I also don't know that I would have given it to Benny. But who really knows on that. I DO wish Tre would have just gone down after getting the first though. Oh well. It's done and we won.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Agree on both points to an extent. Giving Seattle the ball at the 18 with almost four minutes left would have likely meant we would at least get the ball back with time and a shot at a winning drive. Punting meant the shecocks get the ball at around the 50 with plenty of room to get into FG position and run out the clock.

Not sure if the coaches said anything about getting down if he got the first down or if they didn't want to give a rookie too much to think about in his second game. I also don't know that I would have given it to Benny. But who really knows on that. I DO wish Tre would have just gone down after getting the first though. Oh well. It's done and we won.

Exactly. So many commentators are calling it ill advised or desperate when, in reality, it was the only choice that might allow victory whether it worked or not. When I saw they were going to punt, my heart sank.

the zohan

Rookie
Name
Macker
What sucks is that at worse - we should be 3-3 right now... tied with those bastards. Could easily be 4-2.

What really sucks is their next 3 or 4 games should be easy wins and we go on the murderers road. What bullshit

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
According to a quote that I read from one of the Seahawk players they thought something might happen and were on high alert.Good thing they were or BC would have taken it all the way for TD I guess

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
According to a quote that I read from one of the Seahawk players they thought something might happen and were on high alert.Good thing they were or BC would have taken it all the way for TD I guess

The play was very well designed and executed. Two guys went right and took the defenders with them. Cunningham squirted out left untouched with lots of room. Good thing too because that pass could have been defended easily where it was thrown.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Exactly. So many commentators are calling it ill advised or desperate when, in reality, it was the only choice that might allow victory whether it worked or not. When I saw they were going to punt, my heart sank.
I didn't really see it coming. But I was thinking the same thing. Ah fuck! Then I saw Benny step out and I was jacked. Sure glad we converted but I was excited either way. Go win the game coach!

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
The play was very well designed and executed. Two guys went right and took the defenders with them. Cunningham squirted out left untouched with lots of room. Good thing too because that pass could have been defended easily where it was thrown.
I agree 100% I think the Sea player just did not want to admitt they got fooled 2x bad.It was a great and ballsy call by the coaching staff.