Rams signing Wentz

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Cjcinec

Rookie
Name
Chris C.
shoulda done this when Stetson went on the NFI list but oh well

Maybe they think Stafford’s thumb issue could linger ?
Maybe it’s because Stafford has been shitting the bed long before he hurt his thumb. He’s in the high 50s in completion percentage.

pvtdragon39

Rookie
I think it may be they dont want to waste a draft pick on these QBs and Wentz and Stafford will be a good duo for QBs, just need O'line help so they dont die on every play!

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Wentz will play more games than Stafford the rest of the season.

younghutch

UDFA
Makes sense. Would've been rough to bring in Wentz before the GB game, giving him less than a weeks worth of 1st team reps. I bet the Rams were just hoping to grind out a win vs GB, even if it meant throwing Rypien to the wolves.

This Wentz signing may well be a nod to the future; look at what McVay did for Baker Mayfield's career in a very short time. Old-timers may remember the Raiders signing a "washed up" Jim Plunkett after his distastrous stint in SF...he sat for a while to regroup & then went on to win Super Bowls.

Stranger things have happened.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I don't know if any of you guys knew this but ...
You can't stop Carson Wentz ... You can only Hope to ... ... ...
1699390225723.png

Personally, I like the signing, although I am hoping to NOT see him play.

Very curious what the Rams had to give him in salary. Hopefully, Wentz sees this as an opportunity to be in a facility and on a sideline in uniform, with the idea of finding an NFL home in 2024. Maybe with the Rams.

madrid311

RomandeacondickersonolsenwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Madrid311
Makes sense. Would've been rough to bring in Wentz before the GB game, giving him less than a weeks worth of 1st team reps. I bet the Rams were just hoping to grind out a win vs GB, even if it meant throwing Rypien to the wolves.

This Wentz signing may well be a nod to the future; look at what McVay did for Baker Mayfield's career in a very short time. Old-timers may remember the Raiders signing a "washed up" Jim Plunkett after his distastrous stint in SF...he sat for a while to regroup & then went on to win Super Bowls.

Stranger things have happened.
how f-en ironic would that be for Wentz to ball out. we had us some good Goff maybe we get some good Wentz. go rams

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
I like this move. Wentz is going to play well. Maybe in a very round about way we've found our future QB and that future is now.

younghutch

UDFA
I think we might have to start seriously wondering about the long-term prognosis for Matthew Stafford's overall health. He had hip problems earlier, now the thumb...

This isn't just signing a clipboard holder. Colt McCoy could have served that purpose, i.e. just get us through 2023 if necessary. This seems like some longer-tem thinking. Makes you wonder, in hindsight, if the Rams regret not re-signing Baker Mayfield.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
my line of thinking says they realized just how much QB2 and QB3 suck and this is a "what if Stafford gets dinged again" move

but I have been wrong once or twice before
I dunno. I just dont think McVay looks past his QB1, which is why Mannion, Wolford and Perkins all had spots for as long as they did. Seems like now he knows Stafford wont play the whole rest of the season so that's why he waited so long.
On the other hand, Wentz also may have been holding out hope that a starting gig would show up and didnt want to commit to back up duty until now

younghutch

UDFA
Baker wasnt re-signing, he wanted to go somewhere that offered him the chance to start.
That was predicated upon Stafford coming back at full strength & starting through 2024 at least.

That may be up for grabs now. Again, hindsight is 20/20 but if the Rams had a crystal ball and it appeared that Staff may be falling apart (not saying this is the case, necessarily) in 2023, they may have approached Mayfield with a different scenario in mind.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That was predicated upon Stafford coming back at full strength & starting through 2024 at least.

That may be up for grabs now. Again, hindsight is 20/20 but if the Rams had a crystal ball and it appeared that Staff may be falling apart (not saying this is the case, necessarily) in 2023, they may have approached Mayfield with a different scenario in mind.
They were fully committed to Stafford for '23, '24 and '25. The Rams gig was a straight backup. He served his purpose for the Rams, and the Rams served the purpose for him. He got the opportunity in Tampa and has made the best of it, will likely secure a decent contract from them.
With the Rams cap situation, there was no chance they were investing 4-5 mill on a backup QB