Rams Signing K Brett Maher

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
You are correct.

Still not nearly as bad as Franklin Pierce and James Buchanan. Pierce was a foppish sort who really only cared for the prestige of the Presidency; he was neutral on all issues, which only made things worse. Buchanan was completely incompetent and was reluctant to even put on a bandaid on a festering gunshot wound that was slavery and secession. All he did was compromise, compromise, compromise, mostly towards slave states.

I wonder what would've happened if Zachary Taylor lived. He never wanted the presidency, but took it upon himself to save the country from the evils of secession (he was a Southerner and a slaveholder, but HATED the idea of Southern states seceding from the Union, much like Andrew Jackson did.) Lincoln is a commendable man and one of the best presidents ever, but I wonder what would've happened, had Taylor not died in office. Millard Fillmore was a poor replacement, and Pierce and Buchanan were even worse.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Still not nearly as bad as Franklin Pierce and James Buchanan. Pierce was a foppish sort who really only cared for the prestige of the Presidency; he was neutral on all issues, which only made things worse. Buchanan was completely incompetent and was reluctant to even put on a bandaid on a festering gunshot wound that was slavery and secession. All he did was compromise, compromise, compromise, mostly towards slave states.

I wonder what would've happened if Zachary Taylor lived. He never wanted the presidency, but took it upon himself to save the country from the evils of secession (he was a Southerner and a slaveholder, but HATED the idea of Southern states seceding from the Union, much like Andrew Jackson did.) Lincoln is a commendable man and one of the best presidents ever, but I wonder what would've happened, had Taylor not died in office. Millard Fillmore was a poor replacement, and Pierce and Buchanan were even worse.
I am not sure it could have been avoided (secession).
Even in the war with Mexico after conquering most of Mexico until our army was outside of Mexico City, Southerners saw all of that territory as possible slave states, so they wouldn't get overwhelmed by "free" states. Even Polk was furious when his representative made the deal he authorized before the territorial gains. The vastness of the new USA would mostly be "free" states if the mason dixon line held within the new US borders. Plantation owners were unwilling to give up their lifestyle, supported by slavery. The perverse side of the cotton gin's patent in 1797, was that slave owners of increasingly unproductive tobacco plantations (slavery was not paying for itself). could sell their slaves "down the river" for a nice profit to cotton plantation owners. Northern textile manufacturers thrived on cheap, slave picked cotton and were not for changing things. Abolitionists were considered extremists, even by Northerners who didn't like slavery.. Lincoln didn't run for President, promising to free the slaves. He ran as a uniter, trying to keep the Union together, even though Buchanan didn't see that he had the power to prevent states from seceding and some did before Lincoln was sworn in. Lincoln believed in "what was possible" and was for a gradual elimination of slavery. The Civil War changed all of that.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@Memento , there was, of course the Kansas-Nebraska Act that opened Nebraska and other states along the proposed transcontinental railroad for development. That's why Southerners freaked out when the state they counted on as being a slave state, wasn't being cooperative (your beloved Kansas...ROCK...CHALK...JAYHAWK!)

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't wish to derail this thread but your historical accounts are very interesting. Kudos to all above.

Memento

Name
Jemma
@Memento , there was, of course the Kansas-Nebraska Act that opened Nebraska and other states along the proposed transcontinental railroad for development. That's why Southerners freaked out when the state they counted on as being a slave state, wasn't being cooperative (your beloved Kansas...ROCK...CHALK...JAYHAWK!)

Your “Jayhawkers” committed some of the absolute worst war crimes against civilians in the entire Civil War - Union or Conferderacy.

Of course, Quantrill’s Raiders and Bloody Bill Anderson and his gang (which included Jesse James) were hardly innocent, but the Jayhawkers burned, pillaged, raped and murdered throughout Missouri, and it didn’t matter to them whether the people they hurt were civilians - sometimes Union-supporting civilians, at that.

I just find it galling that KU lionizes them.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Your “Jayhawkers” committed some of the absolute worst war crimes against civilians in the entire Civil War - Union or Conferderacy.

Of course, Quantrill’s Raiders and Bloody Bill Anderson and his gang (which included Jesse James) were hardly innocent, but the Jayhawkers burned, pillaged, raped and murdered throughout Missouri, and it didn’t matter to them whether the people they hurt were civilians - sometimes Union-supporting civilians, at that.

I just find it galling that KU lionizes them.
Most of my family fought on the side of the Union or were living in the North. So I have no confederate sympathies. FYI.

Quantrill and his boys killed 150 unarmed men and boys in Union town, Lawrence Kansas. It was a nasty game of tit for tat. Very soon after this massacre, John Brown and his abolitionist brethren executed pro slavery farmers that had nothing to do with Lawrence. Some with their families cowering within their house, were executed in their own front yard along with sons. These people didn't even own slaves, but were executed for their beliefs (Pottawattamie Massacre) . John Brown was a murderer and believe me, academics like to fight when I say that....lol

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Most of my family fought on the side of the Union or were living in the North. So I have no confederate sympathies. FYI.

Quantrill and his boys killed 150 unarmed men and boys in Union town, Lawrence Kansas. It was a nasty game of tit for tat. Very soon after this massacre, John Brown and his abolitionist brethren executed pro slavery farmers that had nothing to do with Lawrence. Some with their families cowering within their house, were executed in their own front yard along with sons. These people didn't even own slaves, but were executed for their beliefs (Pottawattamie Massacre) . John Brown was a murderer and believe me, academics like to fight when I say that....lol

Josey Wales is comin' for you, buddy!! Damned carpetbagger!!

Memento

Name
Jemma

I know. My dad's family fought for the Union, I believe. Believe me, I have zero sympathy for Confederates: traitors, the lot of them.

But Jayhawkers were rapists and murderers to the worst degree and enflamed a lot of Confederate-supporting Missourians like Bloody Bill (whose father was killed by Union sympathizers and later on, when his bushwhacking exploits became notorious, his sisters were kept in an all-women's prison where prisoners were raped by guards and kept in horrible conditions. Eventually, the prison collapsed, killing one sister and permanently maiming the other, which really set him off). Quantrill's Raiders were horrible people, Bloody Bill Anderson was a psychopath, and Jesse James and his group weren't better than the Jayhawkers.

But let's not pretend that Jayhawkers in the Missouri/Kansas Civil War battles were innocent; they were often just as bad as the bushwhackers.

John Brown was a murderer and honestly, I don't even think he believed in abolition and definitely not racial equality; he just wanted an excuse to kill for a "justified cause".

The Missouri Tigers were also named for a Civil War group: The Fighting Tigers, which was a hastily-put-together militia built not to start hostilities in either Missouri or Kansas, but to protect the then-town of Columbia, Missouri. Nobody - bushwhackers or Jayhawkers - managed to breach Columbia, which was one of the rare untouched parts of the bloody Kansas/Missouri Civil War.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Ok Loyal ... you need to make a peace offering to Memento. Might I suggest an album?

1693506620159.png

Cover explanation here

Memento

Name
Jemma
Ok Loyal ... you need to make a peace offering to Memento. Might I suggest an album?

View attachment 61114

Cover explanation here

Nah, it goes both ways. We joke around with each other, poke fun at the other's state, but really, we only joke because we care about each other. It's just that the Civil War era - and the Kansas/Missouri conflict in particular - is something I've researched tons about. Was going to write a fiction story about it (with the help of @ozarkram ), but with the current political climate, I decided otherwise.

Londoner

Twitchy sophomore.
The question is, who was more accurate from 50+ yards: Quantrill or Anderson?

Memento

Name
Jemma
The question is, who was more accurate from 50+ yards: Quantrill or Anderson?

The real answer: Jesse James. His Winchester and revolver skills were renowned, along with his gang. Grew quite paranoid in his later life, and definitely shanked it wide left with trusting Robert Ford, who killed him for the bounty.

Maybe let's stick with Brett Maher.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know. My dad's family fought for the Union, I believe. Believe me, I have zero sympathy for Confederates: traitors, the lot of them.

But Jayhawkers were rapists and murderers to the worst degree and enflamed a lot of Confederate-supporting Missourians like Bloody Bill (whose father was killed by Union sympathizers and later on, when his bushwhacking exploits became notorious, his sisters were kept in an all-women's prison where prisoners were raped by guards and kept in horrible conditions. Eventually, the prison collapsed, killing one sister and permanently maiming the other, which really set him off). Quantrill's Raiders were horrible people, Bloody Bill Anderson was a psychopath, and Jesse James and his group weren't better than the Jayhawkers.

But let's not pretend that Jayhawkers in the Missouri/Kansas Civil War battles were innocent; they were often just as bad as the bushwhackers.

John Brown was a murderer and honestly, I don't even think he believed in abolition and definitely not racial equality; he just wanted an excuse to kill for a "justified cause".

The Missouri Tigers were also named for a Civil War group: The Fighting Tigers, which was a hastily-put-together militia built not to start hostilities in either Missouri or Kansas, but to protect the then-town of Columbia, Missouri. Nobody - bushwhackers or Jayhawkers - managed to breach Columbia, which was one of the rare untouched parts of the bloody Kansas/Missouri Civil War.
Just before John Brown did his ill fated raid on Harper's Ferry, he hung out with Frederick Douglas for a while.......I think Fred said something like..." the boy's batshit crazy"
The Union officer Robert E. Lee arrested Brown.....

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I think you know this, but I am a transplanted Californian. My favorite college team was THE University of Southern California (about as Southern as I get!) Since I live in Kansas now and transported Mangino's team around Lawrence ("My Coach Can Eat Your Coach." guy.), I HAD to defend KU's honor!

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Apologies for discussing football and Brett Maher on a football forum and and thread about ... Brett Maher.

Just thought it was a little interesting that Maher was technically NOT signed to the 53 man roster but is instead the 16th member of the Rams' Practice Squad. I'm guessing that this is about the rule that a veteran's salary is fully guaranteed if he is on the 53 for Week One.

We now return to our regularly scheduled programming ...
"American History ... The James K. Polk to Jesse James Years"

Last edited: