Rams sign two former Rams for Monday Night Showdown

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame

Rams sign two former greats to active roster

Wink Dinkerson, Radish City News

Dec 11, 2021

The Los Angeles Rams have been hit by injuries at running back and cornerback this year at an alarming rate. This Friday they decided to add to their depth by signing two great ex-players. Eric Dickerson and LeRoy Irvin both signed 1-year contracts with their former team. Rams fans will see a familiar jersey number 29 complete with his trademark goggles this Monday night, along with a familiar number 47 on defense.

"Just wanted to help the Rams out by offering my services," a confident Dickerson told us. Henderson has been doing good so far but because of the covid he can't go this weekend. Coach McVay called me up and presented me with the offer and I gladly accepted." He admitted to still missing the classic uniforms from back in the day but was okay with wearing the new helmet next Monday. "The split horn still looks like two bananas, but I won't let it affect my play." We didn't ask him about the penis logo.

Eric Dickerson was inducted to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1999. He ranks 9th in the NFL in career rushing yards with 13,259, is 2nd on the Rams all-time career rushing list, and still holds the career record of 2,105 rushing yards in a single season back in 1984. When asked if he still had that blazing speed that he was always known for, Dickerson replied "I've been keeping myself in shape for a moment like this. I'm sure I can still bust an 80-yard touchdown at any given moment, but I'm also fine with moving the chains."

LeRoy Irvin sounded like he could still cover the way he did back in the 80's. He's third on the Rams all-time list with 34 interceptions. "Kyler Murray is one of the great QBs this year, but he hasn't seen the likes of me yet. If I get a hand on any ball I always try to take it to the house."

Irvin also returned punts back in his heyday, and had 2 touchdowns in a game vs Atlanta back in 1981. "They want to see what I can bring as a punt returner," Irvin offered. "I'll just follow my blocks and look for an opening. Who knows, maybe I can provide a spark that this special teams unit needs."

Coach McVay appeared giddy at the podium, a familiar look that we've seen this year with other big signees. "Yeah, never say never," an amused McVay told the group of reporters. "These great players were highly talented in their day, we're talking a hall of famer (Dickerson) and an all-pro (Irvin). I'm excited to see what they can bring to our football team this Monday night."

Asked how he will incorporate Dickerson, McVay was candid about the plan. "We'll start Sony in the first series, then bring Eric in on the second one. We may run some base 12 formation and see how that goes. The other guys are excited to have these two great players in the lineup who they've looked up to when they were growing up. Heck I looked up to them both when I was growing up, too."

Rams defensive coordinator Raheem Morris was asked about how he'll platoon Irvin, who picked off 2 errant passes from Rams backup quarterback John Wolford in today's practice, taking one all the way for a pick-six. "We may use him on Arizona's top receiver on some defensive sets. Jalen will continue to play the star position, but Irvin will see a lot of action against their big threats."

The Rams have been getting Dickerson acclimated to the playbook the last 2 days. The Hall of Fame running back was asked if the coaches plan to use any former plays from the 80's that used to spring him loose. "Let John Robinson run 47 gap," he replied with a wink.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member