Rams sign Takk McKinley

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
We took a safety because our back up QB suggested it.

We have a kicker with a booming leg because our ex punters told us about him or suggested we sign him.

We sign ARob because coop and staff went to coach and said we need to sign this guy.

I'd say this organization responds and listens to all suggestions. Truly informed lol

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I think the nation is finally coming to grips with that presidential assassination....
"Tell us you're old without telling us you're old. "

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Wonder if he was signed as insurance for Floyd and his current injury issues.

oldnotdead

Legend
Takk McKinley is an interesting pickup. He's got less than the desired length which makes it difficult to get bend around a big mobile OT but he's got good speed and long arms if he has learned to use them correctly. I like this pickup and I think he will fit in real nice because they needed a 4th edge for rotation. It will be interesting how he is used.

He's done more than Lewis and it wouldn't surprise me if he starts getting some of Lewis' snaps before the end of the season. Lewis is in his 3rd year and frankly, I expected more from him in the first two games. IMO Hardy was drafted to compete for that position. With him out McKinley has an opportunity to contend for a starting position this season. I like the signing a lot.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Takk McKinley is an interesting pickup. He's got less than the desired length which makes it difficult to get bend around a big mobile OT but he's got good speed and long arms if he has learned to use them correctly. I like this pickup and I think he will fit in real nice because they needed a 4th edge for rotation. It will be interesting how he is used.

He's done more than Lewis and it wouldn't surprise me if he starts getting some of Lewis' snaps before the end of the season. Lewis is in his 3rd year and frankly, I expected more from him in the first two games. IMO Hardy was drafted to compete for that position. With him out McKinley has an opportunity to contend for a starting position this season. I like the signing a lot.

Everyone looked like crap in game 1, but I believe Lewis had either the best or second best PFF score for the Rams against Atlanta.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't know about that Merlin.

260 lbs is the weight McKinley came into the league at a few years ago as a #1 pick by the Falcons.

He's an Edge and (if healthy) could be in the mix with Floyd, Hollins, Lewis and Keir Thomas. I believe Lewis and Thomas are both over 260. Just hoping this signing is not motivated by concerns over Floyd's knee and Lewis' durability.

Well if they want him to spell 54 at times then he'd probably be fine at his usual weight. But in this defense they have to drop at times in coverage. They have to contain as well. He has always struck me as more a classic end in terms of how he fits. So I think getting lean will be his friend in this defense. I think it's part of the reason he's never cut it in the NFL as well so that would be my expectation for him if I'm Morris.
Maybe they think he can be more stout against the run than the others.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Maybe they think he can be more stout against the run than the others.
Maybe so. I just feel like he's too slow to OLB for us but not like I haven't been wrong before so we'll see.

BuffaloRam

Hall of Fame
I like the move for depth but I’m setting my expectations low that he’s gonna get significant snaps

oldnotdead

Legend
In two games Lewis has taken 44% of the defensive snaps. No, TFL, QB pressures, sacks or hurries. Hollins in rotation has only 1 sack, and 1 pressure which isn't much but is better than Lewis.

Getting some new blood like McKinley sure can't hurt. I look at it this way. McKinley is better than Garrett with more upsides. It will be interesting to see him play.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Hard to get too excited, but.. who knows? Maybe playing next to Donald and fighting for his NFL life unlocks something.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Containment priorities this week, pass rush the week after that.

I’m glad Wagner is no stranger to Murray’s game.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I dunno why but I have a pretty good feeling about these moves and this one in particular.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I dunno why but I have a pretty good feeling about these moves and this one in particular.

Agree I wanted him last year somewhere in one of these threads it's there. I didn't see a downside of taking a shot on a 26 at the time probably 25 yr. old.

And he had 2.5 sacks in 2 games last year? Did I understand that right before he got injured. Garrett and Clowney I get it but AD and Floyd are a better tandem so hopefully he can really make a difference. Watching his highlights again he just seems like he had it.

dang

Legend
Hard to get too excited, but.. who knows? Maybe playing next to Donald and fighting for his NFL life unlocks something.
Could he be the next Dante Fowler? Same size. Similar results in First 3 years in the NFL.

Last edited:

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Could he be the next Dante Fowler? Same size. Similar results in First 3 years in the NFL.
I like the idea… but he’s been underwhelming… again, Maybe there’s lightning in that bottle.