Rams sign QB Blake Bortles to one year deal

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dang

Legend
$$$ is always a factor but what we are seeing that vets have the Rams at the top of their list of places they would like to play. In some cases they are leaving $$$ on the table to play for the Rams (Suh, Weddle, Matthews, Bortles). Lets hope the Rams ride that wave for their RB1B and OL depth to close out the 2019 FA cycle.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

Well, one doesn't improve on the couch. I mean, except for me, but I'm special....

The upside for this is getting to work with McVay and the staff here and potentially getting his career back on track.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

With the Jags already paying him $6.5 million, it makes perfect sense for him to accept a cheap deal if he can't do better than $6.5 million. It's going to be offset no matter what. Coming to LA is all about rubbing the Jax stink off, rehabbing his value under McVay, and trying to get a decent deal in 2020.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

With the CBA, I dunno if a coach can take reps like that.

I could see a team trying that with guys who for some reason aren't allowed to participate as players...

Inevitably, some team would get into a ton of trouble with the NFLPA and I don't think most teams want that kind of headache.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
I personally like it Bortles has proven he can sling it at times in an inept offense and really almost took his team through New England to get them to a Super Bowl. The dude has never had supreme coaching and for the most part been stuck with ehhh recievers terrible recievers this year in my estimation.

What makes me happy about the signing is he has feet mobility the ability to buy time and if the Rams offensive line slips he can still buy time and with very talented recievers get them the ball not to mention he can take off and run. Light years better than mannion and if anything should happen to or with goff I'd love to see Bortles in this offense. Obviously I want goff to be amazing but this I think is the perfect back up.

I prefer the term "ability to extend plays", but you're correct. IMO (and I've expressed this before) Goff will probably never become a "play extender", he just hasn't the mobility (quick feet) or vision aka (sense of pass rush). He's serviceable and as we witnessed last season, capable of putting up top 10 stats "as long as he has stout OL support and a running game.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Fine. Just remember...free agency is unreasonably EXPENSIVE. Just like pistachios, eyeglass frames and handbags.

And boob jobs. Don't forget the boob jobs. :p

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Anyone who doesn't like this deal for $1M cap hit is lying to themselves. I wasn't sold on him coming in with his stretches of inability to hit the broad side of a barn, but... Getting a backup who has experience at that price, well, there is simply no way to not like it.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
And he also went 12/23 for 127 yards, 2 int and a 46.8 qb rating against Buffalo
That’s the thing with Bortles, one week he’s a Porsche, the next 2 weeks he’s a Hyundai

Well Goff lost his first 7 games and couldn't find the EZ against NE.....

BTW, I'll take a potential Porsche in relief any day over a 25 year old Fiat (Mannion), who couldn't beat a drum.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
Anyone who doesn't like this deal for $1M cap hit is lying to themselves. I wasn't sold on him coming in with his stretches of inability to hit the broad side of a barn, but... Getting a backup who has experience at that price, well, there is simply no way to not like it.
You might be referring to me. I'm fine with Bortles at $1 million because that's all he's worth. I saw Bridgewater sign for $7.25M, Tyrod for 2 years $11M, somebody names Ryan Griffin get $2.9M all as experienced backups and I was concerned.

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris
I don't know why you think this. I believe it's just as reported. Rams get Bortles for 1 year at a cap cost of 1m. Why are you doubting this?

Kevin

Pro Bowler
Between the Rams and the Jaguars, Bortles is being paid $6.5 million next year. Within the range you described.