Rams should've kept Kellen Clemens : Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams should've kept Kellen Clemens
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/6744/rams-shouldve-kept-clemens

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The St. Louis Rams lost Kellen Clemens to a two-year contract from the San Diego Chargers on Thursday. On the surface, it's a simple departure from a backup quarterback headed somewhere for a better deal.

Initial reports pegged the deal as worth $3 million over the two seasons, a modest contract that if fulfilled would come out to about $1 million more than the veteran minimum. Perhaps Clemens wanted to go to San Diego regardless -- who, other than Eli Manning, wouldn't? -- but that's an offer the Rams could have matched or slightly bettered to keep him. And they should have.

Let's make it clear right away: Clemens is not a Pro Bowl quarterback. He's not even a starter. But Clemens proved in 2013 that he can have some success filling in if used the right way and was one of the most respected players in the locker room. His value to the team went well beyond replacing an injured Sam Bradford.

Perhaps more than anything, if the Rams are as set on drafting a young quarterback at some point in May as they have indicated time and again, Clemens would have made the ideal mentor.

Clemens is entering his ninth season in the league and by this time, we know he's best served as a backup. Considering Bradford is coming off an ACL injury, there's little doubt the Rams could stand to upgrade the depth chart at quarterback. The team has already been pretty open about adding a quarterback at some point in this year's draft and in an ideal world, that rookie would be able to serve as the No. 2 quarterback sooner rather than later.

But what if Bradford has a setback in recovery from ACL surgery? What if he suffers another injury early in the year? It's unlikely the Rams will be able to find a rookie quarterback in the middle rounds ready to step in and play right away.

Clemens knows coordinator Brian Schottenheimer's offense better than anyone and proved he can at least keep the Rams in games in 2013 when they went 4-5 with him under center. It made sense for Clemens to come back to serve as the primary backup for Bradford and tutor for the unnamed rookie until he's ready to become the No. 2.

Perhaps $3 million over two years is a little steep for a player who would be a No. 3 quarterback but I believe Clemens would have been worth it and, worst case scenario, the Rams could have moved on from him if and when the rookie was ready to contribute.

Instead, the Rams now find themselves in a situation similar to last year. Bradford is the starter and Austin Davis is the lone backup on the roster. Early in the 2013 offseason, the Rams had the same duo in place and seemed poised to give Davis the chance to become the backup. That never materialized as the Rams re-signed Clemens and opened up a competition which Clemens eventually won.

Bradford's injury left Clemens as the starter and the team brought Davis back to serve as a backup. The team clearly wasn't comfortable with Davis as the No. 2 last offseason and it's hard to see why this year would be any different.

Sure, the Rams could go sign a different veteran if they want to have a third quarterback around to help a potential rookie. Perhaps even one who will make less than Clemens in 2014. Bradford should be able to provide some veteran guidance by this point, too, but also has the more pressing need of recovering from knee surgery.

Losing Clemens isn't going to make or break the Rams' season, it might not even register a blip on the radar as 2014 moves along. But in the bigger picture, keeping Clemens around would have been a logical move for this season and beyond.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Think it was more of Clemens decision, not the Rams.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I'm happy for him that he got a 2yr contract. I just hope the Rams won't miss him at all.

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
I am glad for KC as well. He copped a bit of a barrage last year when he first stepped up for SB. But I think we can all say he surprised us with his level of play. He is certainly not the cancer other QB's in this league can be. Good on him for stitching up another 2 years in the league.

This does mean that we are more than likely to have to go QB earlier than many of us may have wanted. I was hoping we could get someone like Murray in the 4-5 range (5 may be pushing it I know) but now I'm thinking that the Rams might start looking in the 2-3 range depending on what we get in any potential year down in the first.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
$3 mil isn't breaking the bank, but it ain't chump change either. They want to develop a young qb, this is Sam's fifth year, he can be a mentor.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I agree with Wagoner Clemens was a good safety blanket and the Rams blew it on this one. I am good with a healthy Bradford so protect him is even more important now because having a rookie middle round prospect starting at QB will not turn out as good as 2013 did

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
We needed to move on from KC. He did an admirable job while he was here - no doubt. But we cannot view him as a safety blanket.

It's time to put down the safety blanket mentality and get some production out of the QB position! ;)

fearsomefour

Legend
The loss to the Rams is Clemons as a locker room guy and his familiarity with Schottenheimer.
He endeared himself to me this last year. Not a ton of skill but a smart vet with heart.
He was basically out of the league when the Rams brought him in. He has successfully extended his career and made some bank.
I'm happy for Kellen.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Its time for our #2 QB to be someone with some legit tools and develop him. It would've been nice to keep Kell around, but i don't blame him for looking around.
San Diego....NICE.

There should be some vet QB's available to sign for peanuts before TC starts. As a team,having a great situation at backup QB is a luxury in the NFL.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Its time for our #2 QB to be someone with some legit tools and develop him. It would've been nice to keep Kell around, but i don't blame him for looking around.
San Diego....NICE.

There should be some vet QB's available to sign for peanuts before TC starts. As a team,having a great situation at backup QB is a luxury in the NFL.

It's a necessity. Especially given Bradford's history. We need a guy who has legitimate starter capabilities.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
It's a necessity. Especially given Bradford's history. We need a guy who has legitimate starter capabilities.
The talent is so thin around the league at starting QB. I'm not as concerned with Bradfords health as you or many others,probably. I dont consider him injury prone and i'll stand by that.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
The talent is so thin around the league at starting QB. I'm not as concerned with Bradfords health as you or many others,probably. I dont consider him injury prone and i'll stand by that.

Well there's no arguing with that. All I will say is he doesn't seem to protect his body too well when he does take hits.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
You don't?
I look at it this way,he's been playing behind terrible protection,and bad WR's for 4 years...you know about all that...and the only time he's missed was that 6 gm's with a high ankle sprain from getting crushed in the pocket over and over again trying to learn a new offense every year. Before that the shoulder injury at OU,which hasn't re-materialized since.

IMO the ACL was just one of those things that happens. He's a pocket QB who can move around outside the pocket better than he can inside the pocket it seems. We've seen him take some vicious hits,and he gets right up. Injury prone is a term i save for guys like Saffold,who can't take a hit(physicality of the game in relation to his position).

Sam's biggest hurdle in 2014 will be to get his team to the playoffs. I don't see evidence that Sam is a fragile QB. He just needs to get better.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
So if he gets hurt again then u will believe he is injury prone? And u are forgetting his last yr in college

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I am glad they are moving on. Clemens is very limited in the passing game. Time to develop a young guy that some other team can covet so the Rams can get a second round draft pick for him in 3 years.

jap

Legend
With our receivers, we could use an understudy with the ability to throw accurately short, intermediate, and long. Quick's development stagnated when Killer Kellen took over the helm of the U.S.S. Horns last season. Givens appeared to be fighting nagging injuries all season, was not very effective even when Sam was tossing the rock and became even less effective with Kellen under center. Our rookies, Tavon and Sted, missed valuable time establishing a solid rapport with Sam I Am.

I certainly appreciate Kellen's contributions. However, his limitations with intermediate and especially long passes were clearly exposed last season. An upgrade is definitely in order here.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Rex Grossman played for $1.3 mill last year, he took a run first team to the SB once ,I'd say he's acceptable.