Rams shouldn't have many salary-cap problems/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams shouldn't have many salary-cap problems
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_0fd090c2-889d-5c5b-8264-cc665a85dd7e.html

When all is said and done, the Rams should be in decent shape salary cap-wise this offseason. But with the Super Bowl completed, and the offseason officially upon us, the team’s salary cap situation looks tight at the moment.

The Rams currently have 56 players under contract as they build toward the training camp limit of 90. Only the 51 players with the highest salary-cap figures count against a team’s cap until the 53-man roster is set in early September.

With that in mind, the Rams’ team cap number currently is at $142.964 million for 2015, according to figures from the NFL Players Association and other league sources.

The official team salary cap figure has yet to be announced, but most projections are in the $140 million to $150 million range. The final cap number tends to end up on the high end of projections every year.

For the sake of argument, let’s split the difference and put the cap at $145 million. That would leave the current Rams just a couple of million under the cap limit.

But the Rams will have an additional $3 million cap credit as a result of last year’s release of cornerback Cortland Finnegan.

The Rams were hoping to get that credit a year ago, but didn’t, so last year’s loss is this year’s gain.

When you subtract about $1.5 million in incentives earned by players last year that count on this year’s cap, that makes a net gain of $1.5 million.

And as the Rams wind their way through the offseason, they have plenty of ways to add to their cap space, either through reduced contracts or outright releases of players:

Quarterback Sam Bradford: The Rams want to restructure the final year of the injury-plagued Bradford’s contract. They could do so by lopping off some of the $12.985 million base salary he is due in 2015, the last year of his contract, while potentially putting in incentives that could allow Bradford to recoup much of that money.

An outright release would save the team that $12.985 million out of an overall cap count of $16.58 million.

Defensive tackle Kendall Langford: He’s in the final year of a four-year deal and is scheduled to be paid a $6 million base salary and count $7 million against the cap. With the emergence of Aaron Donald as NFL defensive rookie of the year, Langford no longer is a starter and his playing time is down. So the Rams could consider shrinking his base.

An outright release would create $6 million in cap space.

Center Scott Wells: He has a $2 million base salary and counts $5.5 million against the cap. Wells has had tough luck with injuries and illness since signing with the Rams in 2012 as a free agent from Green Bay. He played in all 16 games last season, but it was an uphill struggle because of both an elbow injury and a tick-borne infection that put him in intensive care last spring and resulted in a 20-pound weight loss.

Do the Rams decide to go young at center this year? Or do they stay with Wells for the final year of his contract?

An outright release saves $3.5 million. Wells is due a $1 million roster bonus on the third day of the so-called “league year,” so one way or another the Rams have to make a decision by then.

The league year begins March 10.

Tackle Jake Long: He has missed 10 games over the past two seasons because of knee injuries, and is coming off his second anterior cruciate ligament surgery in less than a calendar year’s time. If coach Jeff Fisher sticks with his plan to keep Greg Robinson as the team’s starting left tackle, Long could end up shifting to right tackle or guard.

In the third year of a four-year deal, Long counts $10.5 million against the cap and is scheduled to make $9.25 million in base salary this year. The Rams could seek a restructure.

An outright release would save the team $8 million in cap space. If Long is on the roster the fifth day of the league year, $4 million of his base salary is guaranteed, so that could impact the Rams’ timetable.

Running back Isaiah Pead: He has had next to no impact with the team after being drafted in the second round in 2012, the first draft of the Fisher/Les Snead regime. The roster is brimming with running backs with Tre Mason, Benny Cunningham, Zac Stacy and Trey Watts.

Releasing Pead would create just under $941,000 of additional cap space.

Wide receiver Chris Givens: His scheduled base salary of $1.574 million (with a cap count of $1.698 million) doesn’t seem exorbitant. Then again, the Rams could deem it too much if Givens is the fifth wideout behind Kenny Britt, Brian Quick, Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey.

Also a member of that initial 2012 draft class, and in the final year of his contract, releasing Givens would save $1.574 million.

The bottom line: If the Rams released all six of those players, they would save $34.25 million in cap space. That’s highly unlikely. But if they merely saved one-third of that cap space through some combination of restructuring, releasing or not touching those six contracts, it would free up $11.42 million of cap space.

The Rams obviously need some of that money for a variety of reasons. For one, they have a free-agent list that includes wide receiver Britt, tight end Lance Kendricks, right tackle Joe Barksdale and quarterback Shaun Hill.

In varying degrees, the Rams would like to sign all four of those unrestricted free agents. In addition, the Rams’ list of restricted free agents includes free safety Rodney McLeod, tight end/fullback Cory Harkey, and quarterback Austin Davis.

Looking ahead to 2016, the Rams have 35 players under contract for that season and beyond, who will count $89.91 million against the ’16 cap. That might look like a ton of cap space, but the Rams have several players whose contracts expire after the 2015 season.

The list includes safety Mark Barron, defensive tackle Michael Brockers, linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar, defensive end William Hayes, cornerback Janoris Jenkins, cornerback Trumaine Johnson, wide receiver Brian Quick, defensive end Eugene Sims and kicker Greg Zuerlein.

That’s in addition to the aforementioned Bradford, Givens, Langford, Pead, and Wells.

Undoubtedly the Rams would like to lock up at least a couple of those players during the 2015 season, as they did during 2014 with Robert Quinn and punter Johnny Hekker.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Now....wait a minute. I'm all over most Rams news.

Who else didn't know about this "tick borne illness" for Scott Wells? I'm not saying it's not true, I would bet my own real money that it is totally true (if I did bet)

Problem is in discussing his performance, we NEVER hear about this. Um... being 20lbs down for a slightly undersized OL.. Centers at around 300 can't afford to drop 20lbs.

This lends even MORE credence to my worry that the Snisher will believe that all Wells needs to do is "get healthy"...

I couldn't disagree more and I think Center should be up for grabs between Jones, Barnes or Rhaney as I see Jones being potentially BETTER than Wisniewski if given a chance. I truly believe that. I think after 2015, we'll be just stoked about our super solid pick that, like Quick, took 3 years to really get there.

WestCoastRam

Legend
They kept it under wraps but there was a report or two about it mid-season. I'm sure they didn't want other teams to know.

I'm not a Wells apologist, by any means, but I don't see how you don't end up right from something like that for at least 6 months from what I know....

WestCoastRam

Legend
J. Long at right tackle is really intriguing if not for the 2nd ACL tear in two years... gah, that sounds so eerily familiar for some reason.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Who else didn't know about this "tick borne illness" for Scott Wells? I'm not saying it's not true, I would bet my own real money that it is totally true (if I did bet)
IIRC, there was an article around Week 7 or 8 that brought the "tick borne illness" to light. Don't have a link.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Well ill say it again. You really cant cut J Long while he is injured. Im pretty sure the rams are on the hook for that 4 million he has coming up. So that changes things. But KD is very good at managing the cap

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Well ill say it again. You really cant cut J Long while he is injured. Im pretty sure the rams are on the hook for that 4 million he has coming up. So that changes things. But KD is very good at managing the cap

Question ....by the time the NFL enters free agency in the second week of March, it will be close to 5 months away from the time he tore his ACL & the surgery that followed a few after. Would that Jake Long post ACL surgically repaired knee be considered still injured after all this time & all the time under going rehab?

Last yr Jake had surgery the first of January of 2014. Jake was kept out of TC until taking reps with the first team OL @ the end of July of 2014. That's a little over 7 months. If the Knee is fixed as good as it can be & he has completed all the mandated rehabbing events as required & if he is getting ready to play in 2015 season & going into Training Camp with the realization he will be asked to play a NEW NFL position if he remains a Ram .....how can that knee still be considered injured & pending some injured status....Now that's some fine line in depth reading in the NFL contracts somewhere?

IIRC, there was an article around Week 7 or 8 that brought the "tick borne illness" to light. Don't have a link.
The information on Scott Wells sickness did come out but it was not immediate. It was undisclosed for a long time. Guess it could also be considered that the seriousness of the illness & the Scott Wells desire to assist & help the Rams last season that he in spite of his very weak state returned to battle back from that serious illness & the Rams coaches :love:took special note in that great effort :bow:when we here in ROD land including myself were begging :mad:for his benching. Could be there more to this story that has not been told yet.:)

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I would be willing to bet we see a lot of action on this, at the last minute, just before the beginning of the New season!

Ltrautman

MIZ
Cut Wells and Long. Draft an OT high, sign Wisniewski, resign Barksdale assuming the price is right. Starting O-line (Left to right):
Robinson, Saffold, Wisniewski, Rookie Draftee (Scherff?), Barksdale. Thoughts?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I suspect Pead gets a fresh look under our new OC, who is going to do more with RBs in the passing game. Still gonna be tough to make this team but the dude does have ability.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Question ....by the time the NFL enters free agency in the second week of March, it will be close to 5 months away from the time he tore his ACL & the surgery that followed a few after. Would that Jake Long post ACL surgically repaired knee be considered still injured after all this time & all the time under going rehab?

Last yr Jake had surgery the first of January of 2014. Jake was kept out of TC until taking reps with the first team OL @ the end of July of 2014. That's a little over 7 months. If the Knee is fixed as good as it can be & he has completed all the mandated rehabbing events as required & if he is getting ready to play in 2015 season & going into Training Camp with the realization he will be asked to play a NEW NFL position if he remains a Ram .....how can that knee still be considered injured & pending some injured status....Now that's some fine line in depth reading in the NFL contracts somewhere?

There may be fine print in the contract somewhere but from what I know, a Doctor determines whether or not J Long is considered "Healthy". J Long also has the right to get a second opinion from a doctor of is choosing as to whether he is "Healthy". I would presume being "healthy" is indicative of being cleared to play in a game. I do not think Jake Long will be at that level of health by the time March roles around.

But back to fine print, I'm not so sure there isn't a clause that specifies that Long only gets the 4 million in guarantees if he is healthy. Who knows? None of us have the contract in our hands so only the Rams and Long know the full terms. I do remember seeing articles mentioning a plethora of injury protection in Longs contract when he signed though.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G

Problem is in discussing his performance, we NEVER hear about this. Um... being 20lbs down for a slightly undersized OL.. Centers at around 300 can't afford to drop 20lbs.

It was in the news last fall, late Sept, early Oct or so. They were concerned with Lymes

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
It was in the news last fall, late Sept, early Oct or so. They were concerned with Lymes

I guess my point is that it's a pretty big deal and you'd think it would have been talked about more. Wells has been savaged for his play and that's a pretty big mitigating factor. NOT that I want to give him another chance. He's a 34 year old center at a position that I, frankly, think we're pretty good at, but let's be fair.

I mean, I've been one of the loudest voices to get him out of the building, but I honestly don't recall that.

Worse, with him in that condition, that REALLY calls into question both Fisher and Coach Boo's decision making. I mean unless Wells was the ONLY guy at the time...

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams Spotlight On Cap Casaulties And Potential Cap Space

101ESPN’s Kevin Wheeler takes a look at areas where the Rams could clear up cap space, and who could fall victim to the salary cap.

Listen to Wheeler Talk Rams Cap Space