Rams should make push to pair Mike Daniels with Aaron Donald

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram65

Legend
Yep agreed. GT Ball was a fan favourite at many camps. Was it Ramstalk or RRF though?

I don't ever remember going to RRF, but maybe it was. I was younger then and my memory is historically very awful for mundane life events.

Someone might have given them the copy pasta treatment over to RamStalk.

I thought it was RRF with pictures. Posters were calling him Green Tennis Ball. I started calling him GT Ball and that caught on. At the time he was in the fight for a CB spot. Oh that's how bad the Rams were at the time.

oldnotdead

Legend
SJD projected as a 3T or 1T and we all know who plays 3T. He's got a good first step but coming out of college thats about all he had. Poor technique and lack of functional strength hurt him. He's had a year to be coached up and he's added some bulk (and hopefully strength).

What I find interesting is that SJD was more of a run stuffer in college. The Rams had a full year to evaluate him. Then they take Gaines in the 4th round. You don't use a 4th round pick on a player you project as a backup. A 4th rounder should be a starter. The coaching staff really must have some reservations about his play.

That said I think it would be a mistake to sign someone like Daniels if they feel that SJD at the very least would be a decent backup if not contend for the start. SJD was a 6th round pick. That's where you grab your depth and developmental players. All that said they did keep him on the active roster all year though he was inactive all season. That sounds like they like him enough as at least depth.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
4th round is where you grab starters? Gaines appears to be seen as a starter but that's not a normal round you pull first year starters.

IBruce80

Tokyo Ram
Donald and Brockers aside, I feel optimistic about our D line.
I dont have the resources to follow college football as much as I'd like, but feel content with what I've been reading lately.
Suh wasn't really the impact I thought he would be, therefore, I think we can fill his shoes.

I reserve my concerns for our O line.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Sometime in the first week of camp I expect a lot of buzz to start up with Gaines, as he gets those pads on and starts whoopin some interior OL. Followed by concerns in electronic Ramsdom about said interior OL. But it's gonna be all good IMO.

Gaines gonna start and play his @$$ off as a rook. Can't wait for preseason, so many good young prospects to see in live action it's gonna be fun.

Ram65

Legend
SJD projected as a 3T or 1T and we all know who plays 3T. He's got a good first step but coming out of college thats about all he had. Poor technique and lack of functional strength hurt him. He's had a year to be coached up and he's added some bulk (and hopefully strength).

What I find interesting is that SJD was more of a run stuffer in college. The Rams had a full year to evaluate him. Then they take Gaines in the 4th round. You don't use a 4th round pick on a player you project as a backup. A 4th rounder should be a starter. The coaching staff really must have some reservations about his play.

That said I think it would be a mistake to sign someone like Daniels if they feel that SJD at the very least would be a decent backup if not contend for the start. SJD was a 6th round pick. That's where you grab your depth and developmental players. All that said they did keep him on the active roster all year though he was inactive all season. That sounds like they like him enough as at least depth.

I think a lot of our second-year players have really stepped up too,” Phillips said Tuesday.
“They’ve been through it for a year and I think especially Sebastian Joseph-Day has really stepped up.
We thought he had potential last year, he kept working at it through the year.
He’s a real strong, powerful guy inside, so he’s stepped in there and looked good this spring, so we’re looking forward to him coming through the second year, too.”

Last year's 195th overall pick, Sebastian Joseph-Day, grew and improved throughout his first campaign and now has a chance to claim the starting job. “I’d watch AD, and I’d watch Suh, and I’d watch others and I’d write down moves,” Joseph-Day said.

“Because even though everybody thinks it’s so physical, honestly playing D-line is a lot mental, too. Seeing the moves, seeing things that people do — that’s how you learn, that’s how you pick up things.”
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...t-player-heading-into-the-2019-season#slide18

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
You never know who is going to step up even UDFA or later round picks like SJD. Since early spring I've been reading and hearing about SJD. Things like what Wade said here and about his weight lifting/workout during the off season. Seems like he needed to get stronger which it appears he has. As he stated he watched and learned a lot last year. Your critique of him was what was reported at draft time. He even had trouble with Brian Allen in college. That match up should be a good measurement to his improvement. I'm looking forward to seeing where he is at. Rams drafting Gaines should not be an indication of what SJD will do.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Strengths
  • Plays with very good quickness off the snap. Impressive 4.97 forty at his pro day with a 10-yard split to match. Quick hands, strong hands. Flashes two-gap sensibilities with ability to punch, spy, and disengage. Plus agility to scrape along the line to mirror the runner. Explosive lateral burst to snare running backs from the backside. Never stagnant with relentless motor. Good feel for blocking schemes and attacks his attacker. Makes impact tackles near the line of scrimmage
Weaknesses
  • Lacks pass rush production relative to his athletic ability. Was often subbed out on obvious passing downs. Has played nose at Rutgers and could face move to three-technique in pros. Could use more mass and anchor at the point of attack. Can be stalemated when facing quality strength across from him. Was unable to impose his will against Michigan State's Brian Allen. Needs twists and games to help him get off the mark as a rusher
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/sebastian-joseph?id=32194a4f-5328-0126-c7d1-ee2dea9d9a91

oldnotdead

Legend
Yes, you find a lot of starters in rounds 3 & 4. In fact that is exactly how most teams draft. They look for starters in rounds 1-4 with depth players (i.e. developmental players) 5-7.

John Johnson was taken at the bottom of the 3rd round. Josh Reynolds who would be starting on some teams was taken in the middle of the 4th round. Samson Ebukam who is the Rams starting SAM was taken at pick 125 in the 4th round.

Joseph Noteboom at 89 which is near the bottom of the 3rd. Brian Allen in the middle of the 4th round also John Franklin -Myers at the very bottom of the 4th and he probably will be the starting DE next year. They got Kiser and Obo in the 5th round.

Les Snead knows there is talent in all rounds of the draft. But overall he really is old school in understanding you can get starters in rounds 2,3 and 4. You can find starters in round 5 but they might need a year to develop like Obo and Kiser.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Still bummed he went to the Lions. Granted, I'm sure we do'n't have much cap space but Mike Daniels is a bad, bad man and would've been BETTER for Donald than what Suh was.