Rams should make push to pair Mike Daniels with Aaron Donald

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
usatsi_10849157.jpg

By: Cameron DaSilva | July 24, 2019 11:20 am ET

If the Los Angeles Rams aren’t confident in their current group of defensive linemen, there’s good news: A former Pro Bowler just came on the market thanks to the Green Bay Packers.

Mike Daniels is shockingly available after being cut by the Packers on Wednesday, a surprising move right before camp. A 2017 Pro Bowler, Daniels was set to make $10.7 million this season, the last year of his contract.

The Packers may not have seen much value in keeping the veteran defensive lineman around, but the Rams should absolutely consider signing him. Pairing him with Aaron Donald could be exactly what the Rams were looking for when they signed Ndamukong Suh last offseason.

If the Rams are indeed interested in bringing Daniels aboard, they’ll likely be on his short list of potential suitors, given his desire to play for a Super Bowl contender.

Daniels is best at 3-technique, which is where Donald plays. However, his versatility along the defensive line allows him to line up at several positions.

He can play directly over the center or line up across from the guard, rushing the passer from any of the interior defensive line spots. Suh brought similar positional flexibility to the table, but he clearly didn’t fit very well as a nose tackle.

Daniels definitely does. Look at this film package from the 2017 season that shows him playing a variety of different positions, the first of which is nose tackle.

Daniels’ numbers from last season are nothing to get excited about. He had 18 tackles, two sacks and only one tackle for loss in 10 games, missing the final six due to injury. Despite the lackluster stats, Daniels was still a highly effective pass rusher from the inside.

Take a look at these numbers from Pro Football Focus.

Furthermore, his 14.3% pass-rushing win rate ranks sixth among all interior defenders since 2013.

There are two questions that come with signing Daniels: How healthy is he after suffering a foot injury last season, and how much will he cost? With this being such a surprising move, one has to wonder whether the Packers released him because he isn’t healthy.

As for his price tag, that’s anyone’s guess. The fact that he’s seeking a Super Bowl contender helps the Rams’ case, potentially meaning he’ll take a discount to join a playoff team.

It doesn’t hurt Los Angeles that Clay Matthews is also on the team, presenting Daniels with the opportunity to reunite with a fellow ex-Packer. Matthews could even help with the recruiting pitch.

The Rams aren’t desperate for help on the defensive line with Donald, Michael Brockers and a combination of Greg Gaines and Sebastian Joseph-Day set to be Week 1 starters. Daniels, however, would take the D-line to another level thanks to his pass-rushing ability and experience in a 3-4 scheme.

With just over $6.1 million in cap space, the Rams might not have the money to sign Daniels right now, but it’s nothing a restructure or roster cut can’t fix. By restructuring Robert Woods’ contract, they could free up another $3.1 million.

At the very least, Les Snead should pick up the phone and give Daniels a call to gauge his interest. Who knows, dangling the idea of playing alongside Donald and reuniting with Matthews could be enough to get a deal done.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not gonna happen. We’re tight against the cap and don’t need him anyways.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Dude I know who is a huge Packers fan was telling me Daniels went through the motions last season. He's a talented player, but would he outperform a couple kids who actually want to play the nose?

I think in order to bring him in someone needs to be cut or traded. So yeah looks unlikely.

Ram65

Legend
I'm sure Les kicked the tires on Daniels out of habit but, not need. He is a little light for the middle, Rams have young guys ready and little money. Rams need to keep avenues available in case of injury later on.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is the kind of move Les Snead DOES NOT MAKE. We are all set at defensive line (for now).

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd be fine with Daniels as another rotation piece at DE.

But no thanks on another pro bowl caliber guy converting to NT. Has 5 YPC allowed written all over it.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I know a lot of you are saying we don't have a need for him on our Dline but I would kick the tires if he came on the cheap. Neither JFM or gains really has any experience playing in the NFL. JFM played a very limited basis last year and he didn't impress me all that much. He's a rotational player at best at the moment and Gains hasn't even played a snap yet. Who's to say these two wont underwhelm this season? I doubt we bring him for a look as he'll probably demand a higher asking price than we can afford but he could definitely provide some solid depth at DE or NT.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
For me, It really depends on how Wade Phillips perceives Sebastian Joseph-Day's development, as I believe his future may be more of a 3T than as a NT. Mike Daniels could be a 2 down lineman who would help improve our interior pass rush, rotating with Greg Gaines as being our designated run blocker in the middle. A team friendly one year 'prove it' contract based on last years injury might work to our advantage. jmo.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I know a lot of you are saying we don't have a need for him on our Dline but I would kick the tires if he came on the cheap. Neither JFM or gains really has any experience playing in the NFL. JFM played a very limited basis last year and he didn't impress me all that much. He's a rotational player at best at the moment and Gains hasn't even played a snap yet. Who's to say these two wont underwhelm this season? I doubt we bring him for a look as he'll probably demand a higher asking price than we can afford but he could definitely provide some solid depth at DE or NT.
Theyll never get the experience they need if you dont let them on the field...

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Well, that's not what I'm getting at...
Just saying, you said they dont have that much experience in the NFL . How are they going to get any if the Rams keep grabbing players to play their position? Also, JFM did pretty good for his limited snaps. 10 tackles and 2 sacks as well as a strip sack in the super bowl. Not bad for a dude from a small school.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Theyll never get the experience they need if you dont let them on the field...

More often than not I would agree, the difference being that when you are a potential Super Bowl team you don't necessarily want to take chances on inexperience hurting your teams overall shot at another opportunity. We fans rightfully have some questions about both our offensive & defensive lines due to the turnover from last year, if you can improve your situation, you do it. At this point, only our coaches can honestly answer whether guys like Joseph-Day, Greg Gaines or Brian Allen are ready to start. jmo.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
More often than not I would agree, the difference being that when you are a potential Super Bowl team you don't necessarily want to take chances on inexperience hurting your teams overall shot at another opportunity. We fans rightfully have some questions about both our offensive & defensive lines due to the turnover from last year, if you can improve your situation, you do it. At this point, only our coaches can honestly answer whether guys like Joseph-Day, Greg Gaines or Brian Allen are ready to start. jmo.
I get what youre saying. We played that game last season and i dont think any of us thought Suh played like we thought he would through out the season. He only showed up post season. Personally, i think its time to see what we have invested in. And honestly, i dont think this is a position that any of us really worry about with what we have. I'd rather get veteran back ups for center or RG. Allen and Noteboom make me more nervous. More so Allen.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I predict there's zero percent chance the rams sign this guy.

Austin

Rookie
Name
Douglas
Would never say no to a talented pass rusher. We have bodies but not as much proven talent on our D-Line, and the more the merrier, imo.

I think we absolutely should sign him for a year if we can, I just I don't think we can.

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
That was my favorite part of camp pics over at Rams talk for a while. Well timed/angled photos of GT Ball and his cousin, BR Ball, at practice.

Yep agreed. GT Ball was a fan favourite at many camps. Was it Ramstalk or RRF though?

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Yep agreed. GT Ball was a fan favourite at many camps. Was it Ramstalk or RRF though?
I don't ever remember going to RRF, but maybe it was. I was younger then and my memory is historically very awful for mundane life events.

Someone might have given them the copy pasta treatment over to RamStalk.