Rams Select Braden Fiske, DL at #39 Overall.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I agree totally but when you go buy a car do you take the first offer to buy the car they give you? If you can still get the car with better terms why the hell wouldn’t you do that?
Depends on how much like the car. And I can't compare unknown players to cars. Cars generally perform as advertised players often do not. Or they exceed expectations.

I understand your point

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Next year's draft is a very weak class, in my opinion. Doesn't have the Covid players that this one had, and honestly don't see any real potentially generational prospects, Luther Burden III aside.
Exactly. I'd trade one of next year's 3rds in a heartbeat to get into this year's 4th. I'm looking at Jacksonville's 116th pick tomorrow. Go get a WR.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I agree totally but when you go buy a car do you take the first offer to buy the car they give you? If you can still get the car with better terms why the hell wouldn’t you do that?
Of course you would do it if you could get better terms.

Why do you think the Rams could get better terms?

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Of course you would do it if you could get better terms.

Why do you think the Rams could get better terms?
All these GMs know you have to adjust pick values from different drafts and traditionally, it's a round adjustment. But this year, I think it's more than that because of this draft class is deep partly because of Covid. Next year's draft will not be so deep so Fuck them 2025 picks!

jjab360

Legend
Orhorhoro and Sweat went off the board. Fiske was probably the last remaining DT in that starter tier on McSnead’s board. DT is a big hole due to AD retirement. So we had to overpay a bit to get a quality DT. Im glad we did.
I don't think we would be high on Sweat, but I could be wrong.

They probably graded Fiske as a first round pick (possibly over Newton when you compare the upside) and locked themselves in to the dream of teaming him back up with Verse based off how they played together at the end of the season. Once they locked in on that, it's do whatever it takes mode and we know how Snead gets when that happens.

I agree, I'm fine with the overpay because of how we set our defense up long term.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bob McGinn talks with scouts

5. BRADEN FISKE, Florida State (6-3 ½, 293, 4.76, 2): Played the 2023 season in Tallahassee after five years at Western Michigan. “I liked him way more this year than what I saw last year,” one scout said. “He took the money and improved his stock.” After a six-sack season for the Seminoles he was impressive at the Senior Bowl and aced the combine. “It always happens to a couple guys every year,” said a second scout. “He’s the one guy that won the process over in the spring. People fell in love with the workout. I think he’ll get overdrafted in the second (round). He’d be a great pick in the third.” His broad jump of 9-9 led the position. “He’s a determined, relentless athlete,” said a third scout. “His father’s a steelworker, his mom is blue collar. He’s f--king determined to win. Everybody talks about (FSU DE Jared) Verse but this guy has more of a motor than Verse. He challenges (Verse) every day at practice to be great. This kid is a winner.” Finished with 191 tackles (36 ½ for loss) and 19 ½ sacks. “I could watch the film all day long,” a fourth scout said. “You talk about passion. The negative is, hey, where’d he come from? He’s a transfer guy from the MAC so he’s a little bit late to the scene. I think this guy is destined for the first round.” His arms measured 31, the shortest at the position. Hands were 9 3/8. “We sit in meetings and say, ‘Length, length, length,’” said a fifth scout. “The guy’s got 31-inch arms. You know what you’re getting. Meat and potatoes guy. He ran fast. I’m not as high on him as maybe the league.” From Michigan City, Ind. “Now he’s a little older (will be 25 in January) and has an injury history so you’ve got to take that into account,” said a sixth scout. “But he fits bottom of the first. You could compare him to Kyle Williams because of his size and movement and angles and twisting the body and hand use. But this guy was more explosive than Kyle Williams. His weren’t manufactured workout numbers. You see the explosiveness on film.”
Good news is that he can keep doing that. :cool:

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Lots of media slamming Rams for paying too much for this pick.

Maybe.. but, as others have said… picks aren’t made in a vacuum.

I believe the complete package.. including maturity.. made getting him such a high priority.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Lots of media slamming Rams for paying too much for this pick.

Maybe.. but, as others have said… picks aren’t made in a vacuum.

I believe the complete package.. including maturity.. made getting him such a high priority.
Seeing that. But if things go to plan that 2nd rounder in 2025 would be in the 60s ... it was over the so-called DVCs but less that a round's worth ... I think you are right. Now that he's a Ram have been looking at his highlights and will really study a game or two or three over the next week.

Can tell he needs work on his hands but that is fixable. Giff and the rest can teach him. Would not be surprised if AD came to camp to help out with young guys in terms of technique.

he's going to need it because his short arms show up on film and he will need to be able to do moves close in.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
Exactly. I'd trade one of next year's 3rds in a heartbeat to get into this year's 4th. I'm looking at Jacksonville's 116th pick tomorrow. Go get a WR.
That is what I was thinking.
Any of those stud WRs we looked at left on the board ?
Stafford needs a new toy.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Playing the 4i where he will likely play if everything stays the same

notice square stand --- then explosion and TURNS body, kind of corkscrew to split double, get past
the block of the LG then when he delivers blow he's back to SQUARE and can push LT back,
escape and smack the RB

Think of yourself doing that ... your wings and square, you tile the wings fast, the back to level that fast

watch how quick he does it

View: https://x.com/53_jim70721/status/1784116687828095254

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Square, turn, square -- see red line --great gap control on a rep he's supped to tie at best

1714201577708.png

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
I'll know never to go on the otc site ever again.

A 2nd next year (we all know it's gonna be late) and a 5th this year in no way shape or form turns into the 35th pick.

In every way, shape in form it turns into the 35th ... On the original Draft Value chart, the Rich Hill Model and the F-S, all of them are between 33-35 for this trade.

There is no big deal about it. Rams value Fiske as a high 2nd and they had a mid-to-late 2nd and probably didn't want to give up both 3rd so they did what they needed to do to get a guy they think was a good value when they took him so they overpaid --- a little bit.
That's smart.

That dude is just giving facts first, then his opinion. No one really knows what Rams DVC looks like or other teams, they are all modified from the original according to Snead but not much. And when all three of the public charts agree it's not BS.

If you boycott his site it is your loss. He does good work. Seems like here he made a comment you didn't like.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you use the Draftek chart, we needed to make up 130 points to move from 52 to 39. Giving pick 155 is basically 30 points, so we should probably have sacrificed next year’s third, instead of the second, as we clearly wanted to retain both third round selections this year.

In every way, shape in form it turns into the 35th ... On the original Draft Value chart, the Rich Hill Model and the F-S, all of them are between 33-35 for this trade.

There is no big deal about it. Rams value Fiske as a high 2nd and they had a mid-to-late 2nd and probably didn't want to give up both 3rd so they did what they needed to do to get a guy they think was a good value when they took him so they overpaid --- a little bit.
That's smart.

That dude is just giving facts first, then his opinion. No one really knows what Rams DVC looks like or other teams, they are all modified from the original according to Snead but not much. And when all three of the public charts agree it's not BS.

If you boycott his site it is your loss. He does good work. Seems like here he made a comment you didn't like.

I misinterpreted his post. I wasn't including the Rams 52nd pick in my scathing attack.

So the Rams gave up the equivalent of the 35th pick for the 39th pick? Whoopee fucking doo.