Rams Select Alec Ogletree With the 30th pick in 1st Round

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Nick Wagoner
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Rams-Select-Alec-Ogletree-With-the-30th-pick-in-1st-Round/45b01eaf-99b3-407c-a13a-133b35cd58d6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-eve ... 3b35cd58d6</a>

Ogletree_420_042513.jpg

Overview

The twin brother of teammate (and fullback) Alexander Ogletree, Alec has made a splash during his time in the starting lineup for the Bulldogs with his big hits and momentum changing turnovers. However, Ogletree is less reliable off the field, as he was suspended for the first four games of the 2012 season for a violation of team rules. He will be considered one of the best athletes at his position, and that derives from Ogletree's history at the safety position, where he played as a freshman, even making five starts in 2010. Heading into his sophomore season, Ogletree continued to grow, and the coaching staff asked him to move to inside linebacker. That was until he suffered a broken right foot in the season opener against Boise State and missed the following six games. He returned to the field against Florida and went on to earn the team's David Jacobs Award as a player who, by example, portrays courage, spirit, character and determination.

At safety as a freshman, Ogletree recorded 34 total tackles, one of which went for a loss. Despite missing almost seven full games in 2011, Ogletree recorded 52 total tackles from his inside linebacker spot, including 7.5 for loss, three of which were sacks. He added two forced fumbles and two pass breakups. During his final season in Athens, Ogletree accounted for 111 total tackles, 11.5 going for a loss with three sacks. He showed more comfort in coverage with five pass breakups, including his first interception. Ogletree also scored on a blocked field goal attempt against Alabama in the SEC championship.

Analysis

Strengths

Has excellent speed for the position, can turn on the jets to chase plays down form behind. Beats blocks with hand quickness, plays the position like a safety with a chance to build a frame like a linebacker. That helps undercut blocks to make tackles for loss from behind. Can really hit when he wants to. Attacks blockers with authority. Best at closing on the edge, when running back looks to bounce outside or the quarterback scrambles out of the pocket. Flashes plays where he looks possessed, like nothing will stop him. Stick to running backs out of the backfield in coverage, even with a slip he has enough closing speed to be reliable in coverage. Attacks the football when tackling in the hopes of creating a fumble. Outstanding straight-line speed. Plays loose.

Shawnbb158

Starter
Re: Rams Select Alec Ogletree With the 30th pick in 1st Roun

Austin then ogeltree wow I love it

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

St. Louis Rams select Georgia OLB Alec Ogletree with the 30th overall pick

Doug Farrar
<a class="postlink" href="http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/st-louis-rams-select-georgia-olb-alec-ogletree-034347588--nfl.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd ... --nfl.html</a>

The St. Louis Rams have selected Georgia OLB Alec Ogletree with the 30th overall pick in the 2013 NFL draft.

Pros: Former safety who plays with that kind of range -- can run quickly to just about any area on the defense from linebacker depth. Reads keys and diagnoses backfield action well -- will patiently wait from his position and then unleash his speed to make plays. Has the height and jumping ability to cover tight ends in the seam. Outstanding half-field defender who seems made to play in nickel -- will close quickly to either sideline. Surprisingly good wrap tackler for his size. Doesn't bounce off a lot of plays and doesn't get dragged too often by power backs. Zeroes in on the ballcarrier with accuracy and doesn't misdirect, which is impressive for all his velocity.

Understands angles and will cut around blockers almost as a receiver would cut away from a defensive back. Possesses the pure burn off the edge to produce as a blitzing linebacker, and will occasionally zoom into the pocket from coverage depth to pressure quarterbacks. Has the backpedal, hip turn, and short-area speed to cover well in man or zone. Dynamic special teams player.

Cons: Thin player who will struggle against blocks -- can be easily walled off. Bounces off blocks at times, but doesn't use his hands to functionally disengage. Needs a bigger line with fairly dominant players to open up gaps for him; he's not a power player at all. Missed tackles are precisely the issue you would expect from a less powerful player who's flying around all the time. Long list of off-field issues will debit him with teams, and he wasn't specifically impressive when explaining his past during media session at the scouting combine.

What he brings to the team: Speed in a 360-degree sense. And a LOT of baggage.

Was it the right pick? I don't like the pick at all. Though Ogletree is without question the best pure speed linebacker in this draft class and he's able to do more things at a position that is increasing in value all the time, I would severely hesitate before selecting him with a first-round pick -- or any pick at all, for that matter. If I had the choice to take Ogletree or Kansas State's Arthur Brown, Rutgers' Khaseem Greene, or Missouri's Zaviar Gooden, I would probably go with a player who possessed slightly less athleticism, but who wouldn't land me in GM Jail a few years down the road because he can't stay out of trouble. We'll see if the Rams come up trumps on this one.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

On Alec Ogletree's addition to the Rams

Mike Sando

[espn]9213384[/espn]

The St. Louis Rams arguably needed starters at running back, guard and safety after drafting Tavon Austin eighth overall and trading back eight spots into the 30th overall choice.

They addressed a need at outside linebacker instead by selecting Georgia's Alec Ogletree, a player Mike Mayock had projected to the Rams at No. 22 in his mock draft Wednesday. That projection led to debate on Twitter given that some have listed Ogletree as an inside linebacker and the Rams are set in the middle with James Laurinaitis.

Ogletree, a former safety with some off-field concerns, projects as a weak-side linebacker in a 4-3 scheme.

Ogletree has been arrested for stealing another student's motorcycle helmet. He has been suspended for drug-related reasons. He has been arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence.

Rams coach Jeff Fisher hasn't shied away from players with off-field concerns. The team used a second-round choice for Janoris Jenkins last year, with encouraging results so far.

Ogletree turns and undermanned linebacking corps into a potential strength, fortifying a front seven that was already stacked on the line with Chris Long, Michael Brockers and Robert Quinn.

<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/97872/on-alec-ogletrees-addition-to-the-rams" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... o-the-rams</a>

fastcat

Pro Bowler

What did the rams get in the Atlanta trade?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Lesson

Oh, really?

fastcat said:
What did the rams get in the Atlanta trade?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

30 and Atlanta's 3rd and 6th in return for 22 and a 7th acquired from the Pats for Salas in 2015.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

great pick, because we can understand the reasoning behind it, even if he is a risk.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler

Guy has talent I just hope he keeps his head on straight. I hate for him to go down a bad path and not be a productive player.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

GreeneCounty said:
Guy has talent I just hope he keeps his head on straight. I hate for him to go down a bad path and not be a productive player.

I am excited to have Ogletree. But... I too worry about the baggage. 30th is a premium pick and the player must be a starter. For that to happen, he needs to keep his nose clean.

I hope he's smart enough.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

ramsince62

Hall of Fame

CGI_Ram said:
GreeneCounty said:

I am excited to have Ogletree. But... I too worry about the baggage. 30th is a premium pick and the player must be a starter. For that to happen, he needs to keep his nose clean.

Me too (nose clean wise). Fisher has rolled the dice once again regarding a player "with issues.". So far, he's come up rolling 7's, but how many times can one go to the same well without getting burned? I suspect, at least for the next year or so, things should go smoothly. It's when this team starts to really have success that young players "tend" to let down their guard and possibly believe all the hype.

Let's hope Fisher's luck holds.

bluecoconuts

Legend

CGI_Ram said:
GreeneCounty said:

Kind of like Marshall said last night. You mentored Jenkins and he's doing the right thing, now as well as mentoring Ogletree, you have Jenkins mentor him, and keep him on the right path. This coaching staff is good, they'll keep him clean I'm sure. It sounds like he's ready to move on past what happened, same as what Jenkins wanted to do.