Rams see a fitter, faster Jared Goff as high-speed practice begins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
Rams see a fitter, faster Jared Goff as high-speed practice begins

THOUSAND OAKS >> Jared Goff opened training camp earlier this month with a joke.

“I may have put on a couple of pounds,” he said when asked how he feels, adding with a laugh. “I don’t know if that’s muscle or a couple of cheeseburgers.”

The Rams’ quarterback opened the padded-practice portion of camp Tuesday with the truth.

Goff spent this unusual offseason focusing on his fitness. If his body is any beefier, it’s because he hit the weights, not the barbecue. He appears leaner and quicker on his feet as a result.

“I worked out and ate right,” Goff, still listed at 6-foot-4 and 222 pounds at age 25, said in a Zoom chat with reporters after having his mobility tested on the official first day of full-speed practice.

“At the end of the day that’s really all you can do to further your body. I have a trainer, I have a nutritionist, I have the whole thing going now, and I feel really good.”

The result should make him more mobile. It’s all relative, since Goff has never been known for his ball-carrying or six-pack abs.

“I’ve been working pretty hard to be that way,” he said. “I would like to be more mobile. Up to this point, I do feel a little bit faster. Hopefully I can extend plays better than I have throughout my career.”

Add that to a narrative that’s growing in Rams camp in Thousand Oaks.

It says Goff, coming off his worst season since he was a rookie under coach Jeff Fisher, is coming up to one of his best as he enters his fourth year under coach Sean McVay and his first working with new offensive coordinator Kevin O’Connell.

Goff went from eighth in the league in passer rating in the Rams’ Super Bowl season of 2018 to 22nd as they finished 9-7 and missed the playoffs in 2019.

He and the team open the 2020 season and SoFi Stadium in Inglewood against the Dallas Cowboys on Sept. 13.

Expectations are nothing new for Goff, the NFL’s No. 1 overall pick in 2016. But they seem to be gaining weight again. Gym weight, not extra-cheese weight.

“(He’s) probably in the best shape of his life right now,” said tight end Tyler Higbee, who is close to Goff and says he has seen how the quarterback changed his diet. “Seeing him just moving around, throwing the rock around, his mobility is better.

“I think his leadership skills have even taken another step and being one of the sole guys in there commanding the offense. He’s just getting better every year. I don’t see anything else but him taking that next step this year.”

O’Connell said he has worked with Goff to improve his lower-body position when he throws and to maintain those fundamentals under a rush.

“To me what it’s translating to is just his natural accuracy. It’s truly something really special, and that’s what we’re working towards,” O’Connell said.

“The pleasant surprise to me is that he is moving his feet really well. He’s really spent a lot of time in the offseason getting a little bit stronger as well as getting some foot speed.”

McVay came off the practice field Tuesday singling out Goff for praise.

“I thought today he had his best day yet (at training camp),” McVay said. “Made completions, took what the defense gave him, made good decisions consistently. I thought we got in and out of the huddle the right way.

“It was on track to do things with the standards we have set, and I thought it started with his performance today.”

Fitter Goff, sharper offense. The two could go together like ketchup and mustard, or, more likely, exercise and nutrition.

NOTES

• No player looked happier with the Rams’ first day of practice in pads Tuesday than Michael Brockers, the defensive tackle whose 2019 season ended with a severe left-ankle sprain. He reported no lasting effect of the injury last December. “I’ve been going full speed every practice, no let-up. I’m having a little treatment, just old-man stuff, to keep me going,” said Brockers, 29, for whom the cancellation of official offseason workouts because of the coronavirus pandemic was a blessing in disguise. “I used that time to do more rehab, to totally get comfortable with the ankle, pushing off of it and stuff like that,” Brockers said.

• The only projected starter to miss practice Tuesday was safety Taylor Rapp. Sean McVay said Rapp has “a little knee” injury, nothing serious. Rapp was on the sideline in his jersey and shorts, a sleeve on his left leg. Linebacker Justin Lawler sat out practice and was being examined after having a foot stepped on, McVay said.

• McVay’s reaction to the first episode of HBO’s “Hard Knocks,” which premiered Aug. 11: “I just wanted to make sure that I didn’t come off as a total tool with my shirt off at my house and pool. As soon as I did that with them, I said, ‘I can’t believe I was that dumb to do that.’”

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
You have to remind yourself that Goff hasn't even reached his 26th birthday. I don't think we've seen his best yet... not by a long shot... and that is an encouraging thought.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You have to remind yourself that Goff hasn't even reached his 26th birthday. I don't think we've seen his best yet... not by a long shot... and that is an encouraging thought.
Yep. Most QBs hit their prime at around 28 or so.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Goff could get better at QB for the next 10 years. His body might not get better with age, but shouldn't deteriorate to the point its detrimental for years to come, meanwhile, every year with McVay is another masterclass in pro football offense theory.

Ram65

Legend
I mentioned a couple of times that Goff needs to work on getting quicker/faster. I'm really happy he did just that. This going to help him move in the pocket, be more accurate (consistent with less crazy bad throws) and throw better on the run. He can also improve his running for yardage. This is very exciting.

Check out this drill at 6:50 mark. I thought Goff was just better than the backups with quicker fluid movement. I think this shows he got stronger and quicker.

View: https://youtu.be/1iuAhvrRTpk

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I enjoyed two things on that most recent episode of Hard Knocks...

First, McVay getting into Goff's ass about speed of the huddle and tempo. Letting him know that shit wasn't what they were about, but also pressuring him.

And second, the way Goff responded to it. He didn't sulk, but took the coaching and even mentioned "that shit fires me up" paraphrasing of course.

We have talent at QB, but also a guy who takes coaching. And a fine coach. It's hard not to expect success with that combo.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It‘s criticism when it’s not meant to help. It’s coaching when it’s about helping him become his best. There is a fine line, the greats coach and the greats improve each year. Goff is on the oath to greatness IMO!

Last edited:

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I feel like this is just a fluff piece based on not much evidence but heck im still excited.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And he's under contract for the next 5 years
How nice to not have THAT problem
giphy.gif

Psycho_X

Legend
It seems like every year they say he’s worked on putting on muscle or working out and he always looks exactly the same lol. A tall, lanky kid. But power to him if he did commit to it. More speed is always helpful. Hopefully our offensive line doesn’t give him happy feet like they did the first six games last season. Took him most of the season to calm back down and get his rhythm back.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
They said the same bullshit last year that Goff is bigger and stronger- We'll see

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
They said the same bullshit last year that Goff is bigger and stronger- We'll see
Well he's not going to turn into Aaron Donald or ever even be considered "built".
Not sure what people are expecting.

Goff did come in bigger and stronger last year, but unfortunately his offensive line did not.

I think Goff kicks ass and it seems like guys who watch the games closely all see that, while the fantasy sports/ redzone channel casual fans are looking at stat lines and listening to ESPN narratives.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
He was always going to be a guy that slowly fills out his frame as he ages. I'm excited about him using his legs more though. He can give D's fits if he channels his inner Aaron Rodgers and runs 2-4 times a game for easy yardage or to avoid negative plays and pick up that "hidden" yardage. He should be that situational master McVay envisioned going into year 4 together.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I honestly think that Goff never fills out his frame (remember, the guy has a legit medical condition that makes it hard to break down proteins). If he becomes mobile, though, not necessarily Carson Wentz mobility, but running to extend the play...well, the rest of the league should look out. Because, in my eyes, he's already a top ten quarterback. He's only gonna get better from here.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I don’t think McVay is ever going to coach him to do that.

When Goff runs, it’s usually a broken play, and I’m ok with that.

Designed rollouts are different, that option will be on the table all season.

He will continue to improve though, an when the line improves with him it’s going to be ridiculous.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
I enjoyed two things on that most recent episode of Hard Knocks...

First, McVay getting into Goff's ass about speed of the huddle and tempo. Letting him know that shit wasn't what they were about, but also pressuring him.

And second, the way Goff responded to it. He didn't sulk, but took the coaching and even mentioned "that shit fires me up" paraphrasing of course.

We have talent at QB, but also a guy who takes coaching. And a fine coach. It's hard not to expect success with that combo.

I tell ya what Merlin, If I was chewing a kids hind end at practice and then he fired back with a line like that??????????
It would have been one of the most fired up practices of the year.Hell I might have stopped repping O right then and there
and broke out the Oklahoma drills. ( Audible Rick Flair WOOO here) Hell I got fired up reading it. Effin covid. I need a a football field and about 30 kids in pads bout now.