Rams Secondary Experiencing Growing Pains

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_8d842313-4eee-5ff2-8887-1a872f41517b.html

One tried and true rule of the secondary, you can never have enough quality cornerbacks. And the Rams’ lack of depth there has jumped up and bit them in recent weeks.

Say what you will about the play of cornerback Cortland Finnegan this season, but the Rams have missed his veteran presence in the back end since he went on the injured reserve list because of a fractured eye socket.

“Yeah, of course, you do,” Rams coach Jeff Fisher said. “It’s the experience factor. He’s played in a lot of games. Big games like this (vs. New Orleans) against good people. But what we’re doing is we’re giving younger players opportunities to play.

“They’re getting better. That’s the encouraging thing. The only way to get better is to play, so that’s what they’re doing. They’re improving.”

But as the last two weeks have demonstrated, sometimes it’s learning the hard way. There have been times against San Francisco and Arizona that the Rams’ youngsters have simply been overmatched trying to cover veterans such as Anquan Boldin of the 49ers and Larry Fitzgerald of the Cardinals.

Trash-talking Boldin in San Francisco didn’t work. A veteran of his stature isn’t going to get thrown off his game by mere words. Boldin proved to be a catalyst for the 49ers’ offense in a 23-13 San Francisco victory with nine catches for 98 yards.

Last Sunday in Arizona, Fitzgerald schooled the Rams’ cornerbacks to the tune of 12 catches for 96 yards and a touchdown in a 30-10 Cardinals triumph. Fitzgerald caught everything — and we mean everything — thrown his way. He was targeted 12 times and caught 12 passes. Even in football, that’s called batting 1.000.

The Rams had been playing more press coverage in recent games but went back to the more passive approach of playing more “off” coverage against Arizona with little success. Quarterback Carson Palmer’s 84.4 percent completion rate (27 of 32) was the second-best in franchise history, behind Kurt Warner’s 92.3 percent.

With few exceptions, Palmer was more than happy to pick the Rams youthful secondary apart with underneath stuff, giving the Rams’ front four little time to get into the backfield.

You can debate whether the Rams have the right players on the back end — and it’s clear it’s the weakest position overall on the roster. But it’s also a case of the Rams being simply too young in the secondary to compete effectively on a week in, week out basis.

At cornerback, the starters are second-year men Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson. Both are long on competitiveness and athletic ability, but short on discipline and technique. Johnson wasn’t an every-down cornerback until Finnegan’s injury.

“This is next man up,” Johnson said. “I’m just taking advantage of my opportunity. I’m way more comfortable out there from last year to this year.”

And if he gets beaten on a play?

“It’s always about the next play,” Johnson said. “You can’t be hard on yourself on one play. You’ve just got to keep playing your game.”

Without Finnegan, the next players in line at cornerback are rookie Brandon McGee, who has been nicked up much of the season and was considered very raw to begin with, and Quinton Pointer, a second-year man who has spent half the year on the practice squad.

One of those two, by the way, may see a lot of action Sunday against Drew Brees and the New Orleans Saints because Jenkins is questionable with a back injury.

At safety, the Rams have gone with Rodney McLeod, a second-year man in his first year as a starter at free safety. McLeod has helped bail the Rams out of their cornerback shortage because he’s also been able to play the nickel back role.

Rookie T.J. McDonald is back at strong safety after missing six games with a broken leg. That leaves safety Darian Stewart as the first guy off the bench when the Rams go to five defensive backs. He’s the most experienced player in the secondary, at least among those seeing regular playing time, with 51 NFL games (including 19 starts).

“We keep growing every week,” defensive coordinator Tim Walton said. “The guys are working. The guys have been trying. You get experience by playing. They’re working hard at practice every day and you keep working on technique, fundamentals.”

Even so, without Finnegan, Walton said: “Somebody has to step up and be the leader now, and they have to develop at a faster rate. Our job as coaches is to keep trying to push that ... and keep working to escalate their development as soon as we can.”

There’s no time like the present for development given the fact that the Saints are in town. It’s easily the best passing game the Rams have faced this season, which means the secondary will be under extreme pressure all day.

“I don’t know where to start,” McDonald said. “They’ve got weapons everywhere. It’s one of those things where we’ve got to make sure we’re on all of our little assignments.”

And the big ones, too.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
This Jim Thomas article just made me want to grind my teeth.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_8d842313-4eee-5ff2-8887-1a872f41517b.html

Say what you will about the play of cornerback Cortland Finnegan this season, but the Rams have missed his veteran presence in the back end since........
Johnson wasn’t an every-down cornerback until Finnegan’s injury.......
Without Finnegan, the next players in line at cornerback .........
Even so, without Finnegan......... [
/quote]
Finnegan this & Finnegan that...... Damn!:mad: I just want to vomit here....Guess I just too sensitive on this subject but I sure hope he is release Jim!

This secondary minus safety Darian Stewart was built by Fisher...its his secondary creation .. I happen to have some understanding here with what he is trying to do.

The secondary was a stinky trash heap when he arrived here in 2012... It has been a complete rebuilt secondary! Fisher & Snead are still under the hood trying to get all theses new parts to work together. Just bad luck but the major part ...or lets say the secondary main engine block is cracked & old & worn out (Finnegan). So all these other parts (Johnson, Jenkins, McLeod, McDonald, McGee, Davis & Daniels) would never run right until this bad Block (Finnegan) is changed out. This off season will be interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This Jim Thomas article just made me want to grind my teeth.

Finnegan this & Finnegan that...... Damn!:mad: I just want to vomit here....Guess I just too sensitive on this subject but I sure hope he is release Jim!

This secondary minus safety Darian Stewart was built by Fisher...its his secondary creation .. I happen to have some understanding here with what he is trying to do.

The secondary was a stinky trash heap when he arrived here in 2012... It has been a complete rebuilt secondary! Fisher & Snead are still under the hood trying to get all theses new parts to work together. Just bad luck but the major part ...or lets say the secondary main engine block is cracked & old & worn out (Finnegan). So all these other parts (Johnson, Jenkins, McLeod, McDonald, McGee, Davis & Daniels) would never run right until this bad Block (Finnegan) is changed out. This off season will be interesting.

You must be dealing with some car problems at the moment? :nau:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Yeah CGI

I think Bonifay has blown a gasket. I can't blame him either.

V3

Hall of Fame
With the exception of Johnson, our CB's are awful. Jenkins looks like a high school CB. I seriously wonder if he did anything in the off season.

Is "experiencing growing pains" slang for crap?

Since the league expanded to a 16 game season (as far as I can bothered to look back) the Rams rank 10th worst all time in terms of yards per attempt, and 3rd worst all time for completion percentage, there's no other way to call that but crap.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
With the exception of Johnson, our CB's are awful. Jenkins looks like a high school CB. I seriously wonder if he did anything in the off season.

I not so sure that they are awful but the scheme sure is. Our DL should be putting so much heat on the QB's that the DB's should get a break now & them but like we saw last week our highly praised DE's were MIA! the sitting Duck QB quacked all day for completion after completion unmolested! The defense gets sick way too often. We need a better doctor in charge of that defense. It would have been good if Walton had benched JJ early this season but we had no back up that could hold their own...maybe we should have drafted few more CB's instead of all those WR's ?

V3

Hall of Fame
I not so sure that they are awful but the scheme sure is. Our DL should be putting so much heat on the QB's that the DB's should get a break now & them but like we saw last week our highly praised DE's were MIA! the sitting Duck QB quacked all day for completion after completion unmolested! The defense gets sick way too often. We need a better doctor in charge of that defense. It would have been good if Walton had benched JJ early this season but we had no back up that could hold their own...maybe we should have drafted few more CB's instead of all those WR's ?

I think the scheme sucks too but a CB should be able to play zone coverage no matter the scheme. Jenkins cannot. He has horrible technique too. He never looks for the ball, he's always grabbing, slips too much, he gets caught way too often looking in the backfield instead of paying attention to his man, etc, etc. He's bad and the so is the scheme. I'm not saying he's a bust yet but all you have to do is look at his stats to know how well he's been playing this year. His completion percentage is vomit worthy.