Rams’ secondary deflects worries early in training camp

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams’ secondary deflects worries early in training camp​

IRVINE — After free-agent departures last winter, trouble loomed over the Rams’ defensive secondary like a Tom Brady pass spiraling toward the end zone.

Safety John Johnson and cornerback Troy Hill signed with the Browns three days apart in March. Johnson had led the 2020 Rams in tackles, Hill in takeaways. Johnson also called the team’s defensive signals.

For the L.A. pass defense to bat away the concerns Johnson and Hill left behind, a lot has to go right.

So far, it has.

“We’ve got guys who are capable of filling in those roles,” cornerback Jalen Ramsey, the All-Pro of the group, said Thursday. “We’ll have new starters, new role players this year, and we’ll figure it out. I think we have the right group of guys to get it done.”

In two days of practice at UC Irvine, the Rams have confirmed their confidence in second-year safety Jordan Fuller’s ability to fill Johnson’s leadership role, seen second-year safety Terrell Burgess flash his talent with a pass interception and breakup in offense-vs.-defense drills, and watched Darious Williams continue to make big plays with a back-of-the-end-zone interception against Matthew Stafford on Thursday.

They’ve also been satisfied that 2019 third-round draft pick David Long, who has started one NFL game, can step into Hill’s spot.

Those four and safety Taylor Rapp would be the primary members of the secondary if the season started today instead of Sept. 12.

Fourth-round draft pick Robert Rochell, whom Williams called “explosive,” is the rookie most likely to work his way into the mix.

Can the secondary rated No. 1 in the NFL by Pro Football Focus at the end of last season stay anywhere close to that?

Much might depend on Fuller, who got the first tryout at calling defensive signals Wednesday and won over Ramsey and three-time NFL Defensive Player of the Year Aaron Donald, no less.

“He’s going to take over a role of leadership, not only for our secondary but I think for our team,” Ramsey said. “I think he deserves it. I think he’s earned it.”

Coach Sean McVay said making Fuller the signal-caller is “an experimental thing right now,” but noted one reason to give him that job is “he’s probably going to be a guy that’s going to be on the field all three downs.”

McVay said he’s “encouraged” but stated the caveat to all this: The secondary’s success could hinge on players who are unproven in a full season, or even a pro game.

“Those are guys that you have a lot of confidence in what they can do,” McVay said, mentioning Long, Rapp, Fuller and Burgess. “But then actually getting that tangible experience where now you’re playing in these meaningful games that count, that’s going to be the thing that I’m excited to see from those guys.”

NOTES

Wide receiver Cooper Kupp showed no concern about his right knee, which kept him out of the Rams’ last three games: “Knee’s great. No issues,” he said. …

Ramsey explained how he ended up switching jersey numbers from 20 to 5: He wanted 2 as a reminder to put himself second, with 5 the backup plan. Rams receiver Robert Woods also wanted 2, and Ramsey let him take it. “I just started to think, ‘Hey, this is one of my reasons for wanting No. 2, to put other people before myself,’” Ramsey said of his magnanimity. …

dang

Legend
In The Rams FO we trust but for one last time I’ll state picking up a vet at CB would have fleshed out the depth nicely. Rochelle will need a year and Long is unproven.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
In The Rams FO we trust but for one last time I’ll state picking up a vet at CB would have fleshed out the depth nicely. Rochelle will need a year and Long is unproven.

After Robert Rochell's wrist injury and the lack of experience in their RB group, I will appreciate it if the Rams add some players in the next couple of weeks.

R.b9fab3aba59e14d7a42ec8ce115a5f46